HOLIDAY CANCELED 2 DAYS BEFORE!!!

dreadwing

They cant do that, if you had a holiday approved and have paid out for it, then they cant then cancel it so you lost your money. Otherwise noone would ever book a holiday in case their boss said they couldn't go two days before you're do to leave, and you risk losing your money

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, dingbat2 said:

They cant do that, if you had a holiday approved and have paid out for it, then they cant then cancel it so you lost your money. Otherwise noone would ever book a holiday in case their boss said they couldn't go two days before you're do to leave, and you risk losing your money

wrong

1 minute ago, congyiszizu said:

wrong

Really? So if you paid £5k for a once in a lifetime family holiday to Florida, your employer can refuse two days before your due to go, and have no responsibility to compensate you? I would be surprised if they were allowed to do that

Do not stand for it. As everyone has said that shouldn't be allowed. I personally wouldn't give a monkeys arse and still go anyway, but that's me. 

If it does come to the worst, just take your bag and tent, and then do a return trip to your car. You won't have to haul in everything on your own. 

Just now, StLewi said:

Sounds like she's forgotten to put the holidays in. 

This. 

However if not http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/1833/regulation/15/made 

(a)in the case of a notice under paragraph (1) or (2)(a), twice as many days in advance of the earliest day specified in the notice as the number of days or part-days to which the notice relates, and

So for 5 days of leave they need to give 10 days notice 

I agree with others. I think there's more to this story. Either that or the company is dodgy as hell. 

If the story is legit, I'd be letting them know in writing that I'll be faking the holiday in the grounds that it was approved and the cancellation notice is too short. I'd cite any relevant employment rights and anything that supports my position via their own contract. 

2 minutes ago, Heather90 said:

This. 

However if not http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/1833/regulation/15/made 

(a)in the case of a notice under paragraph (1) or (2)(a), twice as many days in advance of the earliest day specified in the notice as the number of days or part-days to which the notice relates, and

So for 5 days of leave they need to give 10 days notice 

So if she put the request in today, she obviously hasn't got a cat in hell's chance. however to cancel (if she did book months ago) they would have to have let her know 9th june, which has past.

18 minutes ago, dreadwing said:

you guys really don't her, like I do :lol:

I don't think anyone is trying to have a pop at her. The situation is so shit that people are in disbelief, the easiest thing to disbelieve in the story you've told is her account - I doubt anyone means anything personal. 

I'd give her an hour or so to calm down - then talk her through the options. If this is genuinely the fault of the employer then fuck it, keep receipt of the leave approval and go. Talk to HR if the organisation is big enough to have one. If not then make it next weeks problem. Try not to let it tarnish your weekend. 

11 minutes ago, dreadwing said:

So if she put the request in today, she obviously hasn't got a cat in hell's chance. however to cancel (if she did book months ago) they would have to have let her know 9th june, which has past.

She has told me they canceled it last Tuesday. she just forgot to tell me. which actually is still to short notice right?

8 minutes ago, dreadwing said:

That is my understanding. To cancel the holiday puts them at serious risk of a constructive dismissal claim. 

I'd read up and go and speak to her boss calmly and politely. May be a genuine mistake and her boss didn't realise you are away and have paid money out already. 

If the boss is not cooperative I'd have the law quotes ready. If the boss make any mention of don't come back etc. that is 100% constructive dismissal. 

Sadly she doesn't have a leg to stand on if she didn't book. Its a harsh life lesson but I had mine booked from the day after I got a ticket