HOLIDAY CANCELED 2 DAYS BEFORE!!!

dreadwing

My girlfriend has emailed me at work this morning to advise me that they have canceled her pre approved holiday from Wednesday to Monday.

Here's the jist:

I have not been advised of the reason as to why it has been canceled, (shes now not taking to me hahaha (cant win, i'll probably get in trouble if she reads this)). It's looking like jealousy to me.

she is now angry at me because i am trying to stick up and care for her.

i have advised to her to either hand in her notice or go to HR with a grievance complaint. last week she said she didn't like her job and wants something new, but has worked to hard to get where she is. the latter seems like the best option, but as of right now she wont do that.

She is now considering coming Friday night and leaving Sunday night. however she is trying to compensate by trying to get the Thursday and Friday off only.

I said i would come with her on which ever day she can, but have been told to go on the original time (with friends, Wednesday) and set up the tent.

it now looks like i will have to carry everything, original we ere meant to be going in two cars and split the luggage.

another added expense of trains.

I'm so angry, how can someone turn around and cancel a holiday request 2 days before. what if i had flights and hotel paid for!!!??? in fact she is going to Ibiza the weekend after for a hen do.. So they will more than likely cancel that.

i have asked my boss and he said it is actually between the manger and employee, however he wouldn't do that and asked me if i was in her position what would i do. I would of handed in my notice and not worked it. life is to short for work. 

what are your views, what would you do!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's absolutely shit!! I'd personally refuse to accept that they cancelled the holiday request, I'd put it in writing that the notice is too short and that plans have been made. I'd express my intention of still going, so they can't say you went a stray without notice. Upon return I'd see if they either accept me back or if I've been fired. Either way I'd still be going. 

Like you say life is too short, I work to live, not live to work. So without glastonbury, what's the point in going to work? I also understand though that I rent my flat and have no real commitments (kids or anything). So my actions would only really affect myself and my partner (luckily like you my partner would be fully supportive)

So basically, go, but tell them you're still going and accept any outcome on return. 

Get to HR, complain and list all out of pocket expenses that need to be covered by the company as a result of cancelling pre-approved leave.

Glasto ticket, trains /campervan hire, purchases made for festival etc or /and hotel costs already prebooked by your partner as total cost of cancelling everything as now cannot go/get there easily.

maybe a bargaining chip to getting thurs/fri off, possibly even Wednesday too.

hand in notice anyway.

Don't believe it is legal.

An employer can cancel an employee's period of annual leave if it gives the required notice. Under reg.15 of the Working Time Regulations 1998. An employer can require an employee not to take annual leave on particular days by giving the employee notice of at least the same length as the period of leave to be cancelled.

https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights/booking-time-off

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

1 minute ago, somecoolusername said:

That's proper dodgy and I wouldn't want to work somewhere like that.

Assuming it's not like an actual emergency. You haven't given any info about what it is she does or the reason for the cancellation so it's hard to advise further.

Boss got last minute glastonbury tickets. 

why would she not tell you the reason?

why would a company cancel a holiday request out of jealousy?

what sort of a professional organisation would behave like this? Does the place even have an HR department and policies in place? This sounds like an absolutely farcical situation, and one I am finding quite hard to believe.

If it was approved then I'd be presenting my manager with an invoice for the ticket, parking and other incidental costs and a letter stating you'll be passing it to a legal firm to peruse re-reimbursement of losses. On the grounds that it's all non-refundable adn was booked and paid for as the holiday had been formally authorised. Their staffing issues are not your problem if your holiday request was put in well in advance and has been approved - this will stand up in any employment law mitigation (I've been there with this one)..

When presented with the invoice they'll probably re-instate the holiday and it also gives you leverage to take it to HR.

If you have an email/letter stating it's approved - take it any way, HR dept will back you up as insufficient notice of cancellation has been given.

Failing that take it off sick with stress. Life's too short to let work shit all over you - they'll cancel any holidays you book if it suits them if you let them do it once. 

20 minutes ago, dreadwing said:

My girlfriend has emailed me at work this morning to advise me that they have canceled her pre approved holiday from Wednesday to Monday....................................

what are your views, what would you do!

I`d quickly double check her email to you doesn`t begin with :

" Dear John "

They can't legally cancel your holiday at 2 days notice, there is a 50% rule for cancellation of booked holiday time, if you book a holiday 6 months in advance they have until 3 months before to cancel it, if you booked it 2 weeks ago the deadline for cancellation was 1 week ago. Speak to HR.

6 minutes ago, russycarps said:

why would she not tell you the reason?

why would a company cancel a holiday request out of jealousy?

what sort of a professional organisation would behave like this? Does the place even have an HR department and policies in place? This sounds like an absolutely farcical situation, and one I am finding quite hard to believe.

I'm finding it hard to believe to. Why would someone do that. Even my boss said he wouldn't.

She won't give me the reason because she is angry at me. Her boss would have come upto her and told her, she would of just said ok, bottle for up and take it all out on me when I'm the one trying to sort it out for her.

I have no idea, perhaps her boss doesn't like her, maybe she wanted to go and didn't get tickets.

It's a health wellbeing organisation, I'm hoping they have a hr department because an organisation can't really run without one.

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Theres more to this than your GF is telling you. Places of work don't/can't do that.

Unless shes 7 years old and works in a Bangladeshi sweat shop, its illegal.

Hahaha perhaps she hasn't actually put the request in untill this morning and it's been refused. If she has then she is an idiot, but she said she did it months ago.

22 minutes ago, not worthy said:

I'd tell my boss I was really pissed off with it but accept the cancellation of my annual leave.

Then take the time off with Stress caused by the cancellation last minute and go anyway.

bonus really - you get to go and dont have to use up any holiday allowance

simples

This. 100%