The 'Journey to Glastonbury 2017' thread.

Ommadawn

Leaving Manchester 2pm this afternoon in the CV. M60 - M6 - M5 - A37 and arrive for a night parked up in a pub 5 miles from the gates. Hope to be in very early as soon as gates open and pitched up as close to the hill of death as we can get.

same plan as last year, which of course failed completely with the chaos!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Me and my convey of 2 cars are leaving from Crawley, West Sussex at 3am Wednesday morning. We will all be too excited to get a full night sleep anyway.

Mate who is going with some friends to CV West Tuesday night has taken our tents to set up in our fav spot in Paines to take advantage of shorter queue.

6 hours ago, John the Moth said:

Landed at Birmingham Friday at 7 am after a 27 hour flight from NZ, chilling with. Family and friends before a 5.45 See Cosch Thursday morning :blink:

I admire your dedication! Nice to know somebody else from our corner of the planet will be there. 

12pm Thursday coach from Leeds. 

After leaving 2.30am Wednesday morning the last 2 years I was initially gutted. However, I've got an extra day to get ready, won't get sunstroke wednesday, will spend less money and won't have to queue at the gate.

Don't get me wrong it seetickets called and said they can take me 2am Wednesday I'd jump at it. Right now I'm too excited about hat I will see rather than what I'm missing

Just now, Heather90 said:

12pm Thursday coach from Leeds. 

After leaving 2.30am Wednesday morning the last 2 years I was initially gutted. However, I've got an extra day to get ready, won't get sunstroke wednesday, will spend less money and won't have to queue at the gate.

Don't get me wrong it seetickets called and said they can take me 2am Wednesday I'd jump at it. Right now I'm too excited about what I will see to be bother by what I'm missing

Leaving Aberdeen at 8am tomorrow morning and drive down, stop just outside pilton at pub then head to site. Hoping to park in the blue route car park in the evening. Car all packed this morning. Last minute frozen water, red wine and gin to go in cool bag in morning! YAY! 

Set off yesterday morning from Luxembourg, tunnel late afternoon, staying over in Gloucestershire today/tomorrow, then picking up the rest of the crew Weds morning and heading to site... (return journey in one go on Monday is going to be a mission.)

Leaving in convoy from Midsomer Norton at 10am tomorrow.

Breakfast booked in for 10.30am at Jon Thorners' café opposite the turning for the east camper fields.

Join camper queue post finishing breakfast around 11.30am I should imagine.

7 minutes ago, phillyfaddle said:

Leaving Andover around 7AM on Wednesday. A343 to Salisbury, then out onto A36, joining A303 at Wylye. Exit B3081 for Bruton, then a cross-country jaunt to East Pennard and WV. All being well, should take around 75 mins.

Salisbury could be a bit of a bottleneck, although I'm guessing you're trying to avoid Stonehenge re Solstice?  I'm also guessing others will be using the Larkhill route to avoid as well.  One thing you could do, is go through Wilton, but not A36, take A30, then turn off on to B3089 (near Barford St Martin), follow that, then you'll come out at Willoughby Hedge on the A303 just before Mere - you'll miss out all the A303 holdups then and it's pretty damn quick too  Then go with the rest as you've mentioned (good cut through the Bruton one, it's the one I use).

Just now, geoffboycott said:

Salisbury could be a bit of a bottleneck, although I'm guessing you're trying to avoid Stonehenge re Solstice?  I'm also guessing others will be using the Larkhill route to avoid as well.  One thing you could do, is go through Wilton, but not A36, take A30, then turn off on to B3089 (near Barford St Martin), follow that, then you'll come out at Willoughby Hedge on the A303 just before Mere - you'll miss out all the A303 holdups then and it's pretty damn quick too  Then go with the rest as you've mentioned (good cut through the Bruton one, it's the one I use).

Being local, we always avoid Stonehenge, solstice or not :D Was thinking maybe A36 would be busier than normal. That's a good route through Teffont Magna, hadn't thought of that - thank you!

My fourth coach journey and I have to yet have one that has not been struck by traffic problems, so 4th time lucky I guess.

Heading off from Brighton at 7.45am so a notional arrival time of around noon-1pm (last year was around 5ish!).

I do enjoy the journey though as there are so many familiar landmarks and villages that you pass through, you just get all the memories building up en-route. Normally hit the traffic wall at Doulting, last year it was earlier, so I should know then if i am in for a smooth journey or not. Cannot wait.

1 hour ago, phillyfaddle said:

Leaving Andover around 7AM on Wednesday. A343 to Salisbury, then out onto A36, joining A303 at Wylye. Exit B3081 for Bruton, then a cross-country jaunt to East Pennard and WV. All being well, should take around 75 mins.

pretty much same journey as me, though a little bit away from Andover. 

Leaving Birmingham about midnight tomorrow, should be a fairly clear run with no mud chaos like last year so looking to be in east car park by 3am.  Hoping to join some kind of queue (rather than be forced to stay in the cars), crack open a few tinnies and be in by 10/11am or so but we'll see... safe journeys to all

2 hours ago, phillyfaddle said:

Being local, we always avoid Stonehenge, solstice or not :D Was thinking maybe A36 would be busier than normal. That's a good route through Teffont Magna, hadn't thought of that - thank you!

Ha, yeah, ditto, seems to be bad any time of the year now the 303.  Yeah, that's the one, Teffont route, should be fine, usually fast moving, do that route regularly to Salisbury.

10 hours ago, John the Moth said:

Landed at Birmingham Friday at 7 am after a 27 hour flight from NZ, chilling with. Family and friends before a 5.45 See Cosch Thursday morning :blink:

Also landed back in Birmingham from Melbourne Friday afternoon :) 3am coach on Wednesday to go now! The long journeys definitely increase the excitement :D

Picked up the Campervan in London at lunchtime. Already two IPAs down at our campsite in Lacock. Meeting the rest of the convoy in Chippenham at midday tomorrow before cruising down the A361 to Campervan west in time for cans at 3pm and barbecue with neighbours early evening. 

Theres a free crate of strongbow that I rescued from last year's festival going for anyone that wants it. 

IMG_1804.JPG

Myself, my girlfriend, her friend and my friend set off 2000 tomorrow from Manchester. The sweets for the journey down are ready, the car has been cleaned and the Glastonbury 2K17 is ready to be played. Can't wait.