Hot weather advice

bexj

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, wosman said:

If you're feeling it, watch some stuff in tents rather than the outside stages for some shade 

but bear in mind the tents will be like saunas so make sure you have plenty of water, i saw someone pass out in the circus big top in 2010 due to dehydration

When planning travel in the Far East, pharmacy recommended I take a dehydration solution (dioralyte or Boots stuff) and take one at least every 2 days, to make up for sweating.  Might help for those whose dehydration is eh "self-inflicted" too.  And into my bag they go.

1 minute ago, Twisted Melon said:

Make use of the stages before the acts begin to get some shade if it's getting a bit much. Lots in Silver Hayes to pick from. Worked well in 2010

can definitely 2nd this piece of advice, i had a nice sleep in one of the tents in silver hayes one morning in 2010

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

Tried to watch Bombay BC in a rammed JP tent in 2010. Lasted about 5 mins due to the heat in there!

I got in - it was the 15 mins standing in the sun in the crush outside that nearly killed me.  I watched a LOT of bands in the John Peel that day...

Hot weather advice for the women / men who like jewellery.  Don't wear anything made of cheap metal with sunscreen - you and your clothing will be rendered rust orange. White clothing and sunscreen is generally a bad mix.  And it doesn't come off clothing in the wash - you may end up doing weird alchemy experiments with lemon juice and sunshine before slinging them in the washing machine.  

I was neck-rusted at  last year's festival when using a standard Boots moisturiser with SPF 15 - it wasn't even sunny!!

20 minutes ago, wetwipes said:

When planning travel in the Far East, pharmacy recommended I take a dehydration solution (dioralyte or Boots stuff) and take one at least every 2 days, to make up for sweating.  Might help for those whose dehydration is eh "self-inflicted" too.  And into my bag they go.

Second dehydration solution. Good for any GF.  Really important for a hot one. 

That's a very good point about rehydration salts - it's the loss of salts from sweating that gets you and leaves people so moody and headachey on hot afternoons and as part of hangovers. Even a pack of crisps helps, and dioralyte will do but it's a VERY expensive solution to the problem.

The sort you can get from bike/fitness places are the best and cover a wider range of what your body needs.

1 hour ago, bamber said:

The most important thing that has not been mentioned here is.

ENJOY IT !!!!!!!!!

1286369152_Glasto1992_04.jpg

1992 surely?  

I was there and I've always said it was too hot, but I also say it was my best Glastonbury ever  so I coped.

Lots of people had scarves under their hats so the back of their necks were protected from the sun. 

Respect the sun, take it easy and we will have a great time.

I got some training in yesterday.  I am burnt to a crisp, my head is about to blister like mad, I spewed up all over my bed and I spent hours slumped over the loo last night while thinking that I was going to choke to death on my own vomit.

I am glad I got that out the way before I get to the farm.

I'm not going if it's like this cba.

I'm the whitest person you will ever see and get sunburnt yearly in April playing cricket. I'm going to be fried alive.

Even aside from sunburn I can't hack heat above like 20°. Waking up in a pool of sweat every morning when I went to Rock Werchter in 35° heat was absolutely rancid.

Though I am happy for the majority of attendees who will have been hoping for weather like this. Should make for a great atmosphere and a much prettier site than last year which is good.

Will be much better than last year but I'm hoping it cools down a little bit before Wednesday. Haven't looked at any forecasts myself so not sure if that is expected at all.

If it stays as hot as it is right now then my advice is to take it easy.

It's knackering walking about under a roasting hot sun all day and as you'll find it hard to get much sleep at all past 8am you can end up completely exhausted come Saturday morning.

Make the most of being able to sit anywhere, kick back relax soak up some atmosphere and tunes.

Just ordered some survival sheets for our tent :) 

2 hours ago, frostypaw said:

That's a very good point about rehydration salts - it's the loss of salts from sweating that gets you and leaves people so moody and headachey on hot afternoons and as part of hangovers. Even a pack of crisps helps, and dioralyte will do but it's a VERY expensive solution to the problem.

The sort you can get from bike/fitness places are the best and cover a wider range of what your body needs.

Flat cola with a teaspoon of salt is a good alternative.  Get cola anywhere.....get salt from a food truck.

4 hours ago, frostypaw said:

does lucozade do the same thing?? i used dioralyte last year and it was great but as you said its expensive.