Best food to take ?

chris_top_her

I always bring some BBQ stuff for the first few days and then just use the stalls for main meals the rest of the weekend...

But I always like to have some snacky food too! Some nice breakfast bars for when I wake up etc

Whats the best stuff to  take that's filling but doesn't take up much space? Previous festivals Ive brought up crisps and things like that which are awkward to pack and don't really fill you up anyways!

Any tips? What will you be taking>>??

Breakfast bars/flapjack type things are always a winner.

if you can take a camping stove you can get dry packets of pasta with sauce for 50p in supermarkets, usually pretty filling, same for packet noodles (though not pot noodles, pricey and take up too much room). Just needs boiling water.

I sometimes take sausage rolls but they can get a bit sweaty in a warm tent. 

Dried fruit and nuts are also filling but then I bring them every year and never bother to eat them <_<

3 minutes ago, Mattty said:

Get some of those frozen oven pizzas and cook them at home

Cut into eighths. Wrap two up in tin foil with the toppings facing each other. Do it again with the other 6 slices. Light, carb heavy and tasty

How long do they keep good for ?? Are you best just doing cheese and tomato ones ?

7 minutes ago, chris_top_her said:

How long do they keep good for ?? Are you best just doing cheese and tomato ones ?

Maybe til the Friday? Saturday is definitely sketchy. Last year I did a pepperoni one but I've gone veggie since so I'll probably just go for a veg pizza.

Trust me though it's a gamechanger

Here's my list for this year, compiled from reading various threads:

• Beef jerky
  • Tuna
  • Protein bars
  • Nuts
  • Dried fruit
  • Cereal bars
  • Sausage rolls, scotch eggs, pork pies (good for a day)
  • Pain au chocolat
  • Crisps
  • Biscuits
  • BBQ stuff (meat good for a couple of days if frozen before)
  • Hot chocolate, tea, coffee, pot noodle, etc (if you have a hexistove/water heater thing)

Breakfast bars, Pringles, apples (or other hard fruit), dried fruit/nuts and sweets (when my sugar is feeling a bit low). Other than that I buy all of my meals there. Not the cheapest way of doing it but it feels so much better having freshly cooked food 

1 hour ago, Mattty said:

Get some of those frozen oven pizzas and cook them at home

Cut into eighths. Wrap two up in tin foil with the toppings facing each other. Do it again with the other 6 slices. Light, carb heavy and tasty

This is a great idea and I may partake.

As for other food, I've got pop tarts, fruit cups, chocolate crepes and assorted bar shaped food.

Stuff for breakfast is number one priority so you can get yourself ready for the day without leaving the comfort of your camp.

Cereal bars, cartons of orange juice and those little plastic tubs of fruit (like you'd normally get in a tin) keep well and will keep you going until you're wondering by a food stall.

My personal rule is I can't get back on the booze/fun stuff until I've had a breakfast bar, fruit pot and carton of oj. Then everything is fair game.