Radio listening habits

The Red Telephone

Just wondering what everyone's favourite radio programmes are...what do you consider essential listening every week or just do out of habit?

For me:

Weekend mornings with copious amounts of tea, Mary Anne Hobbs on 6Music. Great blend of chill/ hip hop/ rock.

Saturday afternoons, Giles Peterson.

Drive in to work - have been listening to the Today on Radio 4 for about 20 years. I am very sad. Love PM with Eddie Mair too.

Iplayer Radio app is worth the licence fee alone, in my opinion. Usually listen to Jarvis/ Guy Garvey's programmes this way, as I'm usually out on Sunday afternoons.

If I'm suffering with sleep deprivation, Rod Sharp on Up All Night on 5Live or the World Service on R4.

Can't stand: Steve Lamacq. Anything on Radio 2, except for Pick of the Pops when they have a decent year on.

Switched to Shaun keaveny  on 6 music and Nicky campbell on 5 live got on my tits. 

Used to like Jack FM in Bristol before they changed it to Sam FM and ruined it!

IF you have an android phone or tablet the tune in radio app is great for discovering shows from around the world. 

I usually leave work at 7 everyday so listen to Annie Mac on R1, had been Mista Jam lately whilst Annie was on maternity leave, but Annie has just returned. Much prefer her to be honest! 

They just tend to play new music of pretty much any genre, introduced me to loads of new bands over the years.

Just now, One Tonne Baby said:

Never, ever listen to the radio anymore. I'm all about podcasts these days and probably listen to about 8-10 hours a week of em.

Same, any recommendations?

when I do listen to live radio it's 6 music and hopefully Craig Charles 

Don't listen to the radio except for very rare occasions. Cerys Matthews on BBC6 has been good whenever I've heard her, and Lauren Laverene is alright as well. Usually stick Radio 4 on in the car and see if there's owt interesting on, but their excruciating middle class comedy seems to be on most of the time so I stick a CD in (I did hear women's hour today tho and that was good). Will hit up Radio 3 on iPlayer if they broadcast a classical or jazz concert I specifically want to hear.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

Always listen to Lauren Laverne on the 10-1 slot. Absolute angel. Saying that, during the week we have 6music on at work all day so I hear Radcliffe and Maconie who I don't mind at all, followed by Steve Lamacq but I can't stand him to be honest. It's lovely listening to Cerys' voice as well but I rarely catch her show.

Very rarely move away from 6 music. It's got all the music I want to hear and, with a few exceptions, djs who I actually don't mind listening to. Pick of the bunch is the Friday evening run - Iggy into Tom Ravenscroft - although I never actually listen to that on a Friday, always during the following week. Mary Anne Hobbs is a wonderful start to the weekend as well.

Constantly locked on 6music during the week. Shaun Keaveny and Radcliffe & Maconie are my faves. Agree that Steve Lamacq can get annoying. When Mark Riley comes on I know I've stayed at work too long and should probably go home.

6 innit. There's the odd show I dont like but thats relative compared with the shite on the airwaves one other stations. Been listening to GillesPeterson for 20 years now, so must also draw attention to his Worldwide station, online only but such good music it's well worth hunting for. 

One of the best mix CDs I've ever owned is the Incredible Sound of Giles Peterson...must be nearly 20 years old! Still fab...and he usually plays something off it every second show or so.

6 Music is pretty fab, apart from Lammo. Also, whenever I tune in they seem to playing a Joni Mitchell song. Not that that's a bad things obvs

Radio 2 in the mornings  then switch to 5 live once the idiot Jeremy vine ruins radio 2.

love pop master and ken Bruce.

5 live keeps me fully alert whilst driving my truck, I tend to switch off with music

used to work nights, I miss rod sharp and Dotun adebayo and dr karl

I'm pretty much tuned in to 6Music all the time, though I have to say I find I don't enjoy the run on Sundays as much as the rest of the programming.

Also, totally agree with those who don't enjoy Lammo's show.  I'd love Tom Racenscroft to be given the drive time slot permanently, it's much better when he's been sitting in.

Much love for 6 on here, and it is class. I travel to London from Bristol on Sunday eves and Maconie's freak zone is great, but Don Letts' show has become my new fave. Such variety and some absolute gems, every week, add to that the fact that Don is a boss, and you've got a radio show!

Listen to Lauren Laverne and RadMac as often as I can. I've also noticed that in and amongst them, there's a big percentage of Bristol listeners, based on the number of call ins / shouts.