Tuesday Night

doublechocolate

Glasto virgin here... so the deal is me and a friend are travelling down by car Tuesday night and two of our other friends are travelling the same night in their camper to the cv east site. We plan to camp with them in cv east fields but was just wondering if we can access the campervan site from the east car parks... will they let us in on foot? Thanks in advance :)

9 hours ago, doublechocolate said:

Glasto virgin here... so the deal is me and a friend are travelling down by car Tuesday night and two of our other friends are travelling the same night in their camper to the cv east site. We plan to camp with them in cv east fields but was just wondering if we can access the campervan site from the east car parks... will they let us in on foot? Thanks in advance :)

It has been possible in years past.  Indeed, it is such a common way to beat the carpark queue that a great number of people do it.  It wouldn't surprise me if people were doing this without actually haveing friends in the campervan field, as it can save you a considerable amount of time.

Here is the queue forming at Gate C inside the campervan fields ... at 1730 on Tuesday 2015.

IMGP8639_zpsfkys3idn.jpg

This is the same line at 0700 Wed. morning, looking down towards the gate.

DSCN2024_zpsrtjgcn17.jpg

This is looking back up the hill.

DSCN2026_zpscvd22vzm.jpg

By opening time at 0800 the "looking back up" view was considerably longer (I don't have a photo).

Who knows how it will work this year though.  I'd have thought that eventually they are going to have to "do something" as the number of people taking this option is quite large.  You only have to compare it to Campervan West, where there are usually about 20 people in the line to get in at opening time to see how many people come into East on foot.  The reason West has such a small line is that you cannot enter by foot at all.  So, only those actually coming in with the vans make it into West.  East allows people in not in vans.

Will be interesting to see this year, as I've never seen as many people commenting openly on forums and the like this is their plan (going from the carparks to the campervan field this year to beat the queue / rule to "stay in your car").

Edited by EasyUserName

4 hours ago, EasyUserName said:

It has been possible in years past.  Indeed, it is such a common way to beat the carpark queue that a great number of people do it.  It wouldn't surprise me if people were doing this without actually haveing friends in the campervan field, as it can save you a considerable amount of time.

Here is the queue forming at Gate C inside the campervan fields ... at 1730 on Tuesday 2015.

IMGP8639_zpsfkys3idn.jpg

This is the same line at 0700 Wed. morning, looking down towards the gate.

DSCN2024_zpsrtjgcn17.jpg

This is looking back up the hill.

DSCN2026_zpscvd22vzm.jpg

By opening time at 0800 the "looking back up" view was considerably longer (I don't have a photo).

Who knows how it will work this year though.  I'd have thought that eventually they are going to have to "do something" as the number of people taking this option is quite large.  You only have to compare it to Campervan West, where there are usually about 20 people in the line to get in at opening time to see how many people come into East on foot.  The reason West has such a small line is that you cannot enter by foot at all.  So, only those actually coming in with the vans make it into West.  East allows people in not in vans.

Will be interesting to see this year, as I've never seen as many people commenting openly on forums and the like this is their plan (going from the carparks to the campervan field this year to beat the queue / rule to "stay in your car").

Just to comment on the West access by foot point, you can enter by foot as 2 of our lot did it last year on the Wednesday lunch time. They were joining me in the campervan, they didn't say if they had been challenged or had any issues doing it, but they certainly did it:)

Also, can't see your photo's for some reason - maybe blocked at work, how many folks were in the queue on Tuesday evening? Were they starting from down by gate C or further back? Just interested as we are back in the East campervan fields this year - thanks

Edited by The other Bellboy

2 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

Just to comment on the West access by foot point, you can enter by foot as 2 of our lot did it last year on the Wednesday lunch time. They were joining me in the campervan, they didn't say if they had been challenged or had any issues doing it, but they certainly did it:)

Also, can't see your photo's for some reason - maybe blocked at work, how many folks were in the queue on Tuesday evening? Were they starting from down by gate C or further back? Just interested as we are back in the East campervan fields this year - thanks

Here is the photobucket link for the 7am picture towards Gate C, where I was.

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah293/RandomCollectionGF/DSCN2024_zpsrtjgcn17.jpg

I'd say by 8am I was in the first third of the line? So maybe 500 people? Car park people would have seen a queue about three times the size of that photo when they were let through.

I'd say it gives you an hour - hour & a half start on the front of the car park queue, if you spent the night at the front of each queue.

The true advantage is being able to sleep. Worst case, you set up after entry and sleep in the campervan field, joining the queue around 7am not far from where that photo was taken. When the car park gate opens around half seven(ish) you're well ahead of the poor saps who've been sitting since 9pm the night before with no sleep in the car park queue.

Best case, you sit right by gate c for the night - same length of uncomfortable time as the people at the 9pm start of the car park queue, except at 8am opening time you're pretty much first on site and a good hour and a half ahead of the car park people who've been waiting the same time as you.

45 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

Here is the photobucket link for the 7am picture towards Gate C, where I was.

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah293/RandomCollectionGF/DSCN2024_zpsrtjgcn17.jpg

I'd say by 8am I was in the first third of the line? So maybe 500 people? Car park people would have seen a queue about three times the size of that photo when they were let through.

I'd say it gives you an hour - hour & a half start on the front of the car park queue, if you spent the night at the front of each queue.

The true advantage is being able to sleep. Worst case, you set up after entry and sleep in the campervan field, joining the queue around 7am not far from where that photo was taken. When the car park gate opens around half seven(ish) you're well ahead of the poor saps who've been sitting since 9pm the night before with no sleep in the car park queue.

Best case, you sit right by gate c for the night - same length of uncomfortable time as the people at the 9pm start of the car park queue, except at 8am opening time you're pretty much first on site and a good hour and a half ahead of the car park people who've been waiting the same time as you.

Thanks for this, still can't get access to the photo's at work, but will have a look at some point tonight, thanks again