Arrival Day choice - Campervan East

andulus

First timer,  first question in a litany of stupid questions, advanced apologies

Travelling a long way, in an old T25 VW van, which won't go fast, and won't queue for a long time as without risking a dramatic overheat

Based on what I have read, people arrive on Tuesday to get in without queues, but I won't make it on Tuesday.. so my choice is from Midday Wednesday onwards...

Now, I am reading that Wednesday afternoon and overnight will be super busy, so considering early hours of Thursday morning - but would welcome advice

I would also welcome advice on what's the worse that can happen, if I get there really late.. as I have a campervan ticket, I assume I will get a space, but will late comers get a stupid steep hill, or mud or miles from the gate?

All guidance would be gratefully received... also any tips on direction of arrival to reduce queues also great, I am a Bestival old hand and the back roads there usually mean no queues - is there anything similar at Glasto?

thx!

Briefly, you will probably queue on the road before Pylle Lane, so maybe put a big sign on your window to say you turn your engine off to avoid overheating. After getting in Pylle Lane, it's a steady slow drive to the inspection field and then on to park.

You'll get a space whenever you arrive, but you may get put in the furthest fields, however this is only about 20-25 minutes walk from the gate. The slopes aren't bad, and 99% of the area is flat, and you can easily level your van. Mud? Please wash your mouth out ;-)

There is a post on road closures somewhere. Without meaning to sound patronising, they're there to minimise effects on local residents, if you can stick to the main routes.

HTH

First timer going in a camper van too, we are heading up after work on Tuesday but I think its approx a 4.5 hour drive, not expecting to be there until midnight or early morning but hopefully we will avoid queue this way?!? Whats everyone's thoughts?

Thanks @carlosj

Great info, if the difference between a near and a far space is only 20mins, then I'm relaxed :)

In terms of route, I was kind of wondering if it was best to come up the A37 North from Podimore or South from Shepton Mallet - or is the festival routing going to tell me that from miles away - I am basically coming in on the A303 from the East. 

4 minutes ago, andulus said:

Thanks @carlosj

Great info, if the difference between a near and a far space is only 20mins, then I'm relaxed :)

In terms of route, I was kind of wondering if it was best to come up the A37 North from Podimore or South from Shepton Mallet - or is the festival routing going to tell me that from miles away - I am basically coming in on the A303 from the East. 

I've no recommendations. We come in from Frome, towards Shepton Mallett, and hit upon the signs soon enough so wherever you come from, you'll see the directions quickly.

Edit, coming South on that road (A37?) you pass the car parking turn off first, don't turn in like my mate did, as it's tricky getting out again, you carry on going to the CV turn off.

Edited by carlosj

6 minutes ago, carlosj said:

Edit, coming South on that road (A37?) you pass the car parking turn off first, don't turn in like my mate did, as it's tricky getting out again, you carry on going to the CV turn off.

Great catch, thx!