Corbyn appearing on Pyramid!

slipmatt

28 minutes ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

Thanks for the solid advice. Seems this thread has taken a turn for the worse... I'll probably still be front and centre even if I'll be staring at my phone or sitting down when Corbyn rallies his troop

No worries. Better safe than sorry if you really love RTJ I reckon.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, babyblade41 said:

I wouldn't bother Ommadawn... stupid is as stupid does..or some such phrase,,,,,, right off to clean the swimming pool :rofl:

I'm surprised some people are out on their own without supervision.... the vitriol from waterfalls shows total lack of understanding when he has to resort to vile statements to get his point across .. I'm lucky to have the intelligence to realise he isn't the typical labour voter thank god 

Yes mate for once I agree, stupid is AS stupid does....hence why you vote tory. :P you back people who show a complete lack of understanding of basic morality and human feeling so I fail to see why I should give 1 shit if I offend you or not?  Maybe next time you want to get personal at me by the way, do it when im actually online so I can reply to you......what is it with tories and hiding from criticism a common trait it appears!

Edited by waterfalls212434

1 minute ago, waterfalls212434 said:

Yes mate for once I agree, stupid is AS stupid does....hence why you vote tory. :P you back people who show a complete lack of understanding of basic morality and human feeling so I fail to see why I should give 1 shit if I offend you or not? 

no offence taken... your moral high ground got lost long ago 

11 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

no offence taken... your moral high ground got lost long ago 

No offence taken? you just wrote me an essay about how you had a problem with my `vitorilic rants`......you dont even make any sense let alone being right in any form. As for moral high ground? really? from a tory supporter? thats like being lectured on journalistic standards by the editor of the sun! Tell you what, the day I share `your` morals as a supporter of such an evil bunch of assholes mate is the day I know I really became the `wrong` kind of person.

so thanks I guess, pleasure to know someone who supports what you support finds me immoral :P

Edited by waterfalls212434

I'm a Labour voter and though I was critical of JC before the election, after the election I think he's Labours best bet going forward.

But all the Corbyn hero worship makes me feel a bit uneasy. On one hand I guess if it gets the turnout up and people out voting Labour it's a good thing. But for me while I was happy to watch his speech, stand at the back and respectfully applaud it, I can't really call someone a hero and be putting his name on a T shirt, chanting his name unless he actually gets into power and makes a genuine positive difference to this country. 

If he does that then I'd be right there with all the hero worshippers. Until then he's just a politician with some good ideas and good intentions, despite the great campaign he had and the big improvements he's made, it all seems a bit premature for me. 

5 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

after the election I think he's Labours best bet going forward.

He looks a good bet right now.

I'm not sure how good a bet his huge fanbase of youngsters will think him when they realise he *really* wants brexit.

Corbyn has played brexit very well so far from a political angle. Whether that continues or comes back and bites him on the arse we've yet to see. I'm still thinking public opinion is going to turn on leaving the EU, but Corbyn turning with that public opinion looks far less certain.

7 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

But all the Corbyn hero worship makes me feel a bit uneasy.

Yup. A politician that supporters refuse to rightly criticise is the next dictator.

He needs to use his team a little better. Emily Thornberry grows in confidence all the time and Clive Lewis is also very media friendly. Bringing Owen Smithand the Eagle sisters back into the fold would show real leadership qualities, as well as getting some good political heads on board. Abbott and McDonnell are easy pickings for the press: Corbyn has ridden it by engaging at grass roots and cos he is a genuinely 'nice' person. The other two have some good qualities but they aren't 'nice' and don't pretend to be.

1 hour ago, arcade fireman said:

I'm a Labour voter and though I was critical of JC before the election, after the election I think he's Labours best bet going forward.

But all the Corbyn hero worship makes me feel a bit uneasy. On one hand I guess if it gets the turnout up and people out voting Labour it's a good thing. But for me while I was happy to watch his speech, stand at the back and respectfully applaud it, I can't really call someone a hero and be putting his name on a T shirt, chanting his name unless he actually gets into power and makes a genuine positive difference to this country. 

If he does that then I'd be right there with all the hero worshippers. Until then he's just a politician with some good ideas and good intentions, despite the great campaign he had and the big improvements he's made, it all seems a bit premature for me. 

I think what people are seeing as hero worship, is actually a bit tongue in cheek- people were having fun with the chant (I say that as a Corbyn supporter). People just like him as a person and his politics.

1 hour ago, bunfight said:

He needs to use his team a little better. Emily Thornberry grows in confidence all the time and Clive Lewis is also very media friendly. Bringing Owen Smithand the Eagle sisters back into the fold would show real leadership qualities, as well as getting some good political heads on board. Abbott and McDonnell are easy pickings for the press: Corbyn has ridden it by engaging at grass roots and cos he is a genuinely 'nice' person. The other two have some good qualities but they aren't 'nice' and don't pretend to be.

To be fair McDonnell came across as a thoroughly nice person speaking in the Green futures tent. 

28 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I think what people are seeing as hero worship, is actually a bit tongue in cheek- people were having fun with the chant (I say that as a Corbyn supporter). People just like him as a person and his politics.

While I don't doubt what you say is plenty of it, there's also a complete lack of critical thought, where any and all criticisms are thrown off as unreasonable - which is not a good thing.

No politician should be given a free pass. All politicians should be held to account.

Anything else only ensures that politicians do what is good for them and not what is good for the people they represent.

I think he has already made a difference despite not being in power. The tories have had to reign in their programme of cuts as a result of the seats lost and the national narrative shifting.

I was interested to see the press covering this as the biggest crowd of the weekend when, as someone who was there, I thought Craig David's crowd was bigger! The press seem to be starting to want to talk him up.

42 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

While I don't doubt what you say is plenty of it, there's also a complete lack of critical thought, where any and all criticisms are thrown off as unreasonable - which is not a good thing.

No politician should be given a free pass. All politicians should be held to account.

Anything else only ensures that politicians do what is good for them and not what is good for the people they represent.

I feel he is not given a free pass: certainly not by a lot of the press. 

I am not a rabid supporter: i acknowledge he has flaws, but he also has strengths. I think the latter outweigh the former is all. 

And the 'Jeremy Corbyn' chant is catchy, and people like he tacked the labour party to the left and did better because of it. 

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I am not a rabid supporter: i acknowledge he has flaws, but he also has strengths. I think the latter outweigh the former is all. 

And the 'Jeremy Corbyn' chant is catchy, and people like he tacked the labour party to the left and did better because of it. 

Step away.... Neil kinda puts everyone into the Mindless Corbynista box if you're not criticising him constantly.

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

My good mate who I went with is a strong Corbyn supporter and he said he was close to welling up during his speech. I saw some pretty strong emotional reactions to his presence. I can't disagree with anything Corbyn said in his speech but most of it was just platitudes "end sexism and homophobia, build bridges not walls etc". I was happy to applaud it and the spirit of what he said was certainly fitting for Glastonbury, but it wasn't anything I didn't expect him to say or anything especially insightful.

There is some irony there sure but there's also a lot of premature reactions to him. This is suddenly the best possible circumstances for Labour. If they win the next election then I'll be one step closer to the huge appreciation for Corbyn that people have, but even then I'll wait to see how he does in office til I start full throated celebrations. If he loses the election he'll go down as a failure who lost two elections for Labour - and the resulting mess in Labour (which thankfully didn't happen after this election) will partly be his creation. I judge politicians on results, not just good intentions and ideas. 

25 minutes ago, amfy said:

I think he has already made a difference despite not being in power. The tories have had to reign in their programme of cuts as a result of the seats lost and the national narrative shifting.

that's based on the idea that no other leader of Labour could have done as well.

Given just how shit May's campaign was, that'd be a big shout, despite there being a long list of reasons for why another leader might not have done as well.

After all, there was also a long list of reasons for why Corbyn would do badly, and reasons that held right up until May's shitness shone brightly. Even Jezza was surprised by what happened and called it 'unexpected', remember.

I've seen it suggested that if Miliband had remained as leader after the previous GE that Labour would have walked it this time, and I don't think that's an unreasonable take.

Nor it is unreasonable to point out that with another Labour leader we probably wouldn't have had this election. There might have been a Labour leader who properly campaigned against brexit (rather than Corbyn) so we wouldn't have had the election, or there might have been a Labour leader who wasn't bombing in the polls so May wouldn't have felt safe to have one.

But we have Jez and so there's only what Jez has managed to think about, and what he's managed has been much more than expected but also the failure to get elected that was expected.

25 minutes ago, amfy said:

I was interested to see the press covering this as the biggest crowd of the weekend when, as someone who was there, I thought Craig David's crowd was bigger! The press seem to be starting to want to talk him up.

Not only the press. ;)

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

That's true. But he definitely is in certain circles of his supporters.

Bullshit is always bullshit.

He certainly talks a good game.

Getting votes is one thing, delivering on promises is something else.

I don't believe he can deliver on his promises as he's given them, and i can detail why. Oddly, when I do detail why those who free-pass him run away. ;)

7 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

Step away.... Neil kinda puts everyone into the Mindless Corbynista box if you're not criticising him constantly.

No, I do that when someone can't accept the facts.

Like when ten nicely valid criticisms become "one or two" in the more ... erm .... 'forgiving' minds.

Shooting the messenger to avoid reasonable rational critical discussion is exactly the sort of thing some are pointing out. :lol:

Edited by eFestivals

I can't disagree with anything Corbyn said in his speech but most of it was just platitudes "end sexism and homophobia, build bridges not walls etc". I was happy to applaud it and the spirit of what he said was certainly fitting for Glastonbury, but it wasn't anything I didn't expect him to say or anything especially insightful.

This ^^

There is some irony there sure but there's also a lot of premature reactions to him. This is suddenly the best possible circumstances for Labour. If they win the next election then I'll be one step closer to the huge appreciation for Corbyn that people have, but even then I'll wait to see how he does in office til I start full throated celebrations. If he loses the election he'll go down as a failure who lost two elections for Labour - and the resulting mess in Labour (which thankfully didn't happen after this election) will partly be his creation. I judge politicians on results, not just good intentions and ideas. 

Ditto. :)

41 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Some of this is true, but what else do people have? The support Jez enjoys is as much to do with classic Tory neglect of most people in British society - that they've gone into agreement with a racist, homophobic and bigoted party just to hold power says it all - and the PLP's blind faith in centrist policy for vote winning as it is about the man himself. 

All politicians should be held accountable, and I think he will be. Clegg was. Blair was. Both enjoyed massive youth support and were appropriately pilloried by that demographic when they abandoned promises on fees and went to war on a mission from God. 

The chants etc are basically a way of getting up the nose of the establishment - right-wing press, Farage, Tories, New Labourites etc - and it works. See anything published by Mel Philips or the Spectator recently. 

I support Corbyn, but I know he's likely for Brexit. I wouldn't be completely in disagreement with why he supports it - which is basically for the abandonment of neoliberalism. However, there's a marked difference between why he wants to leave and why UKIP, Boris, Gove and every racist in the country wants to leave. 

Obama wasn't a dictator and enjoyed similar support first time out. It's inarguable that his personal politics skewed towards JC's too, but implementing them on a meaningful level is almost impossible. 

I think he'll go the Wilson route if he gains power and Labour's pluralism will be reflected in his cabinet. Big if obvs. 

TL;DR: Jez won't be nearly as left wing if he gets power and people know that. 

42 minutes ago, amfy said:

"national narrative shifting."

"The press seem to be starting to want to talk him up."

Isn't that exactly what happened with Tony Blair though? New Labour! For the people! Everyone was tired of the Tory sleaze and Labour was promising something refreshing.. then a just few years later it's "war criminal" "this guy should be hung for treason" "there's no money left!", and so on...

I concur with "I judge politicians on results, not just good intentions and ideas. "