Bag tags

MattR88

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Superscally said:

I'll do it if I plan to leave my bag unattended. Which I won't.

Genuine question, why are you having such a problem with putting your name and phone number on your stuff?  I could kind of understand it if the festival didn't already have the names and addresses of (nearly) all those who are attending but I honestly don't understand your reluctance.  Or are you (like me, oftentimes) inclined to bristle at being told what to do?

3 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think this is the point I was trying to make though, the tags are more because there could be some separation from your bags in the first place, not people just leaving them through stupidity. As you suggest we may actually have to leave them somewhere, or group them with other bags to be searched and be separated from them. I think this is the point some people are missing.

This is what I'm thinking. It would go some way solving the problem of the delay caused by additional bag searches by taking the bag off you and reuniting you with it on the other side of the gate once you'd been wristbanded.

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

I'll do it if I plan to leave my bag unattended. Which I won't.

And if you don't plan to be separated from your bag but you're obliged to anyway?

4 hours ago, SpeakingmyChanguage said:

Lots of people getting all Orwell and complaining about names being out there for all to see. Your name is on your ticket, and there will almost certainly be facial recognition technology in place at some stage during the security procedures. This is a good thing, as it allows for intelligence sharing and increased safety of people attending the festival

Have you actually read any Orwell?

Doesn't sound like it. 

3 hours ago, musky said:

This is what I'm thinking. It would go some way solving the problem of the delay caused by additional bag searches by taking the bag off you and reuniting you with it on the other side of the gate once you'd been wristbanded.

And if you don't plan to be separated from your bag but you're obliged to anyway?

5 hours ago, mandolin said:

Genuine question, why are you having such a problem with putting your name and phone number on your stuff?  I could kind of understand it if the festival didn't already have the names and addresses of (nearly) all those who are attending but I honestly don't understand your reluctance.  Or are you (like me, oftentimes) inclined to bristle at being told what to do?

I won't be separated from my bag without a search warrant. They have no right to take my bag without me directly supervising what they do, especially with the dodginess of the onsite security.

As for my reluctance, it isn't a reluctance as such, I will do if a reason is fully explained. As far as I can see, there is no reason that I can forsee that will require me to do so. I ain't letting someone go through my bag without me watching and I have never left my bag unattended apart from getting on a plane, where my bag is locked for security.

8 hours ago, SpeakingmyChanguage said:

...and there will almost certainly be facial recognition technology in place at some stage during the security procedures. This is a good thing, as it allows for intelligence sharing and increased safety of people attending the festival

100% there won't. Bet you a million.

7 hours ago, Superscally said:

I won't be separated from my bag without a search warrant. They have no right to take my bag without me directly supervising what they do, especially with the dodginess of the onsite security

They do have the right to refuse entry to anyone, especially if they don't comply with security guidelines. It'll be in those T&C's that you tick a box to agree to every year.

58 minutes ago, Superscally said:

That wouldn't be grounds for refusal. If it was, they'd have said tagging was compulsory. Which it isn't. I don't have any issues with my bag being searched, but they have no authority to do it without me being present. 

But if (and I don't think they will) they have an arrangement in place which involves separating you from your bag, they can exclude you from entering if you don't submit to the search. They don't have to make other arrangements to allow bags to be searched in the presence of the owner, they'll just refuse entry. If you don't allow them to search a bag in your presence they have no authority to search it anyway, but you wouldn't be getting in.

Like I said, I don't think anyone will be separated from their bags for the searches anyway but at this stage we don't really know with any certainty.

Edited by musky

They can't refuse entry or if they could it would be legally challengeable with potential damages being applied if the festival was missed. The reason why? There is nothing in the T and C's that state you will be separated from your bags that you signed to. Implied consent is potentially in play, if agreeing to a search was on the ticket, but this is not acceptable in court. Refusing all searches - yes. Refusal of entry is possible and it depends on the reasons for refusal or the nature of the search for you challenging, but without having the conditions in front of me right now, I'm pretty certain that an unsupervised search was not specified and they therefore CANNOT force you to comply. Now I'm not implying for a second that I'll do this for the sake of it, I will mark my bags if required, but I ain't getting separated from my bags. Not happening. You shouldn't let it happen either. Things could go missing, things could be damaged, things could be added. You have no legal recourse as you can't prove anything.

4 minutes ago, Superscally said:

They can't refuse entry or if they could it would be legally challengeable with potential damages being applied if the festival was missed. The reason why? There is nothing in the T and C's that state you will be separated from your bags that you signed to. Implied consent is potentially in play, if agreeing to a search was on the ticket, but this is not acceptable in court. Refusing all searches - yes. Refusal of entry is possible and it depends on the reasons for refusal or the nature of the search for you challenging, but without having the conditions in front of me right now, I'm pretty certain that an unsupervised search was not specified and they therefore CANNOT force you to comply. Now I'm not implying for a second that I'll do this for the sake of it, I will mark my bags if required, but I ain't getting separated from my bags. Not happening. You shouldn't let it happen either. Things could go missing, things could be damaged, things could be added. You have no legal recourse as you can't prove anything.

FFS Check the terms and conditions of the tickets, they can refuse you entry or eject you from the site for failing to comply with any reasonable rules or requests. 

This thread is stressing me out more than the Weather thread!! :lol:

At the end of the day, the Eavises have asked us to tag our bags, so we tag our bags. There's obviously a reason for it and it's not a massive inconvenience to any of us so why make a fuss?

12 minutes ago, fur_q said:

FFS Check the terms and conditions of the tickets, they can refuse you entry or eject you from the site for failing to comply with any reasonable rules or requests. 

"FFS" read my comment. Being separated from your bags for a search is not reasonable. They cannot ask you to do this.

9 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

This thread is stressing me out more than the Weather thread!! :lol:

At the end of the day, the Eavises have asked us to tag our bags, so we tag our bags. There's obviously a reason for it and it's not a massive inconvenience to any of us so why make a fuss?

I'm more curious as to what the reason is. I may very well end up happily tagging my bag, but if it is for the purpose of being separated from my bag, it's irrelevant as that is not happening. Don't be stressed, it's all good, but don't let people do things they're not allowed to either! :)

Edited by Superscally

17 hours ago, SpeakingmyChanguage said:

This is a very good point. It simply makes sense for people to have their bags easily identifiable.

One of the likely scenarios is 8 - 10 search lanes running parallel, bags on tables. Perhaps even separate tents where some bags are grouped and circled by explosives dogs. The logistics will obviously vary, but the premise is the same, in that a bag will need to be returned to its owner, and no one wants to be dealing with an unattended / left-behind / abandoned bag that doesn't have any contact details on it. The latter part would be a concern for this year only, so previous year's feelings /procedures/non-procedures are irrelevant. 

I splashed up to 4 poundingtons on a decent luggage tag for my main rucksack, and will probably amateur-tag my camelback with a sharpie or other.

Lots of people getting all Orwell and complaining about names being out there for all to see. Your name is on your ticket, and there will almost certainly be facial recognition technology in place at some stage during the security procedures. This is a good thing, as it allows for intelligence sharing and increased safety of people attending the festival

Yup, this. There will be people who forget or don't get the message and that's fair enough. But to refuse? That's just stupid. Why not just assume the festival organisers are trying to do the right thing and give them a hand? I'm tagging my rucksack, day bag and tent bag. First name and mobile number is all that's needed.

Some people on here need to chill out and help out.

3. The Premises Licence Holder reserves the right to:
(a) refuse admission in any circumstances
(b) evict any person breaching the terms and conditions of entry, committing a criminal offence, behaving in a disorderly manner or in a way that has an adverse effect on public safety, or behaving in an anti-social manner or in a way that causes a public nuisance.

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/

Edited by fur_q

Just now, Angus 0106 said:

The way I see it ... If its going to make the entry process smoother so be it. "Getting in" is a ball ache at the best of times and following recent truly shocking events these measures have to be put in place.

...just because something is smoother doesn't mean it's right. Like I said, I may happily tag my bag way before entry, but people shouldn't be letting their belongings be searched unsupervised by a security service that has often been shown to contain "rogue" elements. Theresa May will be telling you soon enough about a whole host of measures she will be introducing to make things "easier" for us. Will we all happily accept these without questioning the rationale? :D

1 minute ago, fur_q said:

3. The Premises Licence Holder reserves the right to:
(a) refuse admission in any circumstances
(b) evict any person breaching the terms and conditions of entry, committing a criminal offence, behaving in a disorderly manner or in a way that has an adverse effect on public safety, or behaving in an anti-social manner or in a way that causes a public nuisance.

They do reserve the right for a), but if you knew about the law you'll also know that that is very easily challengeable in a court, with damages being able to be applied if there was loss suffered by the ejected party. As such, it is never enforced without another reason. That brings me to b - I will happily consent to being searched. No problem. It will just be with me present. Therefore, no adverse effect on public safety.

26 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Ha ha, brilliant. Let's say you are right. The law is on your side. Grounds to sue for damages.

YOU WILL STILL MISS THE FESTIVAL because of a bit of cardboard and a rubber band.

Just now, Superscally said:

They do reserve the right for a), but if you knew about the law you'll also know that that is very easily challengeable in a court, with damages being able to be applied if there was loss suffered by the ejected party. As such, it is never enforced without another reason. That brings me to b - I will happily consent to being searched. No problem. It will just be with me present. Therefore, no adverse effect on public safety.

Whatever. Try being the amateur lawyer on the gates see where it gets you:lol: