Driving to Glasto on Tuesday evening?

freyman

Hey! 

We'll be driving down to Glastonbury on Tuesday evening (from Gloucestershire) but unsure of which route is best:

- M5 to J23 and then along the A361 approaching from the west

or

- A46, A36 and then A361 approaching from the east 

We've been twice before but have always driven down on the Wednesday morning (which was absolute hell last year) so we're not sure whether the M5 is a no go on Tuesday evening? 

Thanks!! 

10 hours ago, freyman said:

Hey! 

We'll be driving down to Glastonbury on Tuesday evening (from Gloucestershire) but unsure of which route is best:

- M5 to J23 and then along the A361 approaching from the west

or

- A46, A36 and then A361 approaching from the east 

We've been twice before but have always driven down on the Wednesday morning (which was absolute hell last year) so we're not sure whether the M5 is a no go on Tuesday evening? 

Thanks!! 

As my brother lives in Devizes we have quite often hit Somerset from that side.  Never had any issues , with very little traffic .

3 hours ago, Someoni said:

Isn't the solstice on wed morning? Roads will be more congested Tuesday night with people heading to Stonehenge?

Yeah - coming from Devizes might be different this year.

I'd imagine A36 into A361 as OP suggested though should be fine - it doesn't go too close to anywhere that should have a buildup of traffic related to Solstice.  The main bottleneck I'd reckon will be getting around Bath - none if after rush hour.

Some mention of M5 road closures in another thread - so check that out too

2 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Yeah - coming from Devizes might be different this year.

I'd imagine A36 into A361 as OP suggested though should be fine - it doesn't go too close to anywhere that should have a buildup of traffic related to Solstice.  The main bottleneck I'd reckon will be getting around Bath - none if after rush hour.

Some mention of M5 road closures in another thread - so check that out too

I literally just saw that. I'll be coming with caravan from north Wales via Bristol to go to cvw. I've been told to come back out the top of Bristol into m5. Tuesday afternoon I'm hoping for, not local to the area at all and first Glastonbury!

20 minutes ago, The other Bellboy said:

Does anyone have any experience of the solstice traffic on the A303 during the day? We are expecting to be going past Stonehenge at around 1030 on Tuesday and really don't expect any particular traffic issues at that time - are we being naive?

I don't think they open the parking until about 5pm so you should be ok.

I am looking at going down around that time too.

3 minutes ago, Sweet_pea said:

I don't think they open the parking until about 5pm so you should be ok.

I am looking at going down around that time too.

Cheers, we should be well clear of any traffic then:)

Where do you get off the A303 and head towards Pylle? There are so many options at the end of the route and i always like to go through Castle Cary - just to see some of the train folks arriving, but always open to a better route from others experiences?

6 minutes ago, The other Bellboy said:

Cheers, we should be well clear of any traffic then:)

Where do you get off the A303 and head towards Pylle? There are so many options at the end of the route and i always like to go through Castle Cary - just to see some of the train folks arriving, but always open to a better route from others experiences?

There is a thread in Chat about this. There are a load of road closures in place, so depending on where you'd like to park I'd suggest having a little look through.

I like to park in the West carparks, camping in South Park. My plan is get North/west of the site before the car parks open, spend the day chilling somewhere and then head to the car parks for when they open. I just hope we get lucky and get put in Yellow or Orange :-)

4 minutes ago, Sweet_pea said:

There is a thread in Chat about this. There are a load of road closures in place, so depending on where you'd like to park I'd suggest having a little look through.

I like to park in the West carparks, camping in South Park. My plan is get North/west of the site before the car parks open, spend the day chilling somewhere and then head to the car parks for when they open. I just hope we get lucky and get put in Yellow or Orange :-)

Will be in the East Campervan parking so will be taking quite a different route to you i think;)

I was thinking about the road closures earlier when looking at the map and waying up the possible routes. On my first year we took a little lane from the A361 across to the A37 and must have missed hours of queuing and came out about 200m from the blue route entrance. I really can't imagine that this lane is still open these days. Having said that, my godson has gotten lost these last 2 years and ended up using all sorts of closed and B roads around the festival and didn't see a single piece of traffic or queue both times - lucky bugger! Last years route would have been perfect for you as it took him straight to the West carparks - i'm afraid he has no idea what it was though so i can't share.

Enjoy your day of chilling and good luck with the carpark hunt:)