Queens of the Stone Age

JSmurphy

On 20/12/2017 at 12:05 AM, Ammonite said:

Saw them when they headlined the Other Stage.  Didn't know their music very well, just had nothing else on.  Really enjoyed the gig

Was an outstanding gig that. Very memorable GF moment for me. I only knew 5 or so of the tracks but I was blown away

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, Odessa said:

It's not QOTSA news but I don't know where else to put this. Really hope Josh doesn't work with this piece of shit again, and I say that as a fan of all of EODM's albums.

Eagles Of Death Metal's Jesse Hughes hits out at "pathetic and disgusting" student anti-gun protest

He will though. They’re childhood best friends and I think we’d be surprised at how many views the two share, albeit not as extreme as these I’m sure. It’s been clear that Jesse is a deeply troubled man for years now going back before the Bataclan or anything like that and the stuff he’s been posting are the remarks of someone who seems to have gone off the deep end. Hope someone in their circle can rein him in.

Yeah the angle that Josh probably agrees with him on a lot of these things must be true. Otherwise why would they be mates and why would he put up with it? At least we're left to assume this though and he knows better than to come out and say this shit (as far as I know anyway, I've only been following QOTSA since about 2010/11).

Surely EODM will start getting blacklisted by a lot of festivals with Hughes running his mouth like this. I can't ever see Glastonbury booking them now, but I guess R&L still booked them after his comments on Muslims so maybe they don't even care.

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

The Finsbury Park gig could easily be the feel good gig of the summer.

Can't wait for it

But yeah, back on topic. What a day this is gonna be. I'd be happy going down to London for that lineup even if everyone else moved up a slot and QOTSA weren't there.

1 hour ago, Odessa said:

Yeah the angle that Josh probably agrees with him on a lot of these things must be true. Otherwise why would they be mates and why would he put up with it? At least we're left to assume this though and he knows better than to come out and say this shit (as far as I know anyway, I've only been following QOTSA since about 2010/11).

Well I think Homme might have a better network of people around him; a consistent band, a family, probably handles his drugs and alcohol a little better... Hughes is more of an outcast I suppose and his main creative partner is out on the road with the bigger band for the larger part of most years, and if you watch the documentary about him (don't suppose many will wanna but it's up on Youtube I think) it shows that he's kind of alone with his thoughts and vices a lot, very dependent on his girlfriend (who he has since split up with, I believe) and can't see his kid (I don't know if this has changed since).

18 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Well I think Homme might have a better network of people around him; a consistent band, a family, probably handles his drugs and alcohol a little better... Hughes is more of an outcast I suppose and his main creative partner is out on the road with the bigger band for the larger part of most years, and if you watch the documentary about him (don't suppose many will wanna but it's up on Youtube I think) it shows that he's kind of alone with his thoughts and vices a lot, very dependent on his girlfriend (who he has since split up with, I believe) and can't see his kid (I don't know if this has changed since).

On stages he always delivers and comes across as this humble guy who just wants to spend time with fans and appreciates any love he gets when touring but outside of that he sounds like a disturbed fella, messed up and such a hick stereotype. EODM have released some lacklustre albums but as a live band they can be fantastic  

38 minutes ago, Retro P said:

On stages he always delivers and comes across as this humble guy who just wants to spend time with fans and appreciates any love he gets when touring but outside of that he sounds like a disturbed fella, messed up and such a hick stereotype. EODM have released some lacklustre albums but as a live band they can be fantastic  

This.

I saw them live in Birmingham the week before their Bataclan gig. Easily in my top five live experiences, they were great. Also met Jesse outside before the show, he seemed cool and was willing to speak to his fans and take photos. Didn't come across like he does in the media. Just a genuine nice dude. I do however think he had these extreme right wing views before it just seems what happened in Paris has given him more of a platform to voice them. Shame because it makes it difficult for me as a fan of their music to continue to support them.

Saw EODM on their last UK tour and it was great, thought they were hilarious and walked away thoroughly chuffed by how much they gave to the show. That was a week before the Paris show and I can't really imagine where his heads been since then, I couldn't really work out where it was beforehand to be fair, can't condone anything he's come out and said since then though, he's thrown out some pretty heavy statements.

For the record, I probably have more fun listening to Zipper Down than I do to Villains.

21 minutes ago, suttttttt said:

This.

I saw them live in Birmingham the week before their Bataclan gig. Easily in my top five live experiences, they were great. Also met Jesse outside before the show, he seemed cool and was willing to speak to his fans and take photos. Didn't come across like he does in the media. Just a genuine nice dude. I do however think he had these extreme right wing views before it just seems what happened in Paris has given him more of a platform to voice them. Shame because it makes it difficult for me as a fan of their music to continue to support them.

Was at the institute too for that gig and was definitely the best I’d seen them and Jesse himself was an absolute stage presence. Rarely seen fan love like it. 

31 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I don't think I've ever listened to them on record but I saw them in 2012 and it was average. Are they meant to be a serious band or a joke band? Can't tell.

I always view them as a great live act, performers but musical output is poor. Only bother to watch them as a mate is a big fan and you know they’ll put on a show. 

45 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I don't think I've ever listened to them on record but I saw them in 2012 and it was average. Are they meant to be a serious band or a joke band? Can't tell.

I wouldn’t call them a ‘joke band’ because they’re not guys who are above what they’re doing playing for laughs, but they’re not out to be taken too seriously musically and are just there to play barroom rock and roll for fans to dance to. Like a scaled down AC/DC.

1 hour ago, Retro P said:

I wouldn’t count any of their albums among my faves but they’re all fun to listen to.

Ive been reading stories this morning from former friends of Jesse’s that he’s completely unhinged and paranoid (like screening phone calls and hiding in his back yard for fear of being snooped on) owing to years of drug abuse. He just seems to be in a really bad place at the moment and as much as people would like the rug pulled out from under him completely, it’d be catastrophic for the guy.

Think this kinda says it all:

Edited by dentalplan

1 hour ago, Retro P said:

I always view them as a great live act, performers but musical output is poor. Only bother to watch them as a mate is a big fan and you know they’ll put on a show. 

51 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I wouldn’t call them a ‘joke band’ because they’re not guys who are above what they’re doing playing for laughs, but they’re not out to be taken too seriously musically and are just there to play barroom rock and roll for fans to dance to. Like a scaled down AC/DC.

Yeah fair enough. When I saw them they were entertaining as people but the songs themselves were just pretty boring (I think I only knew I Want You So Hard going into it). Kinda like watching The Hives with worse songs, although I don't actually remember it very well as it was ages ago now.

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

A joke band. Good fun live for 20 minutes or so. 3 or 4 descent songs and a good band name. Mainly though, a very funny frontman. Up until The Bataclan shootings.

Everything about his posts were awful. Unlike say, Killer Mike, who was just a bit tone deaf about it. Rambling, not researched (Emma Gonzalez wasn't tearing up the constitution), cowardly (hes since deleted them), misinformed, nasty and hateful stuff from a 45 year old man against a teenager. 

I genuinely feel sorry for him. I think hes a broken man.