Queens of the Stone Age

JSmurphy

8 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Was hoping they'd do some massive outdoor shows, cricket ground in Manchester would have been top. I don't really know what's happening with the arena, people keep cancelling their gigs, I dunno if they're taking more on yet.

You can't really do outdoor shows in November.

Next summer is a possibility, BST perhaps. Could they even do a night at Wembley? Or are they not quite that size?

Edited by Hugh Jass

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

You can't really do outdoor shows in November.

Next summer is a possibility, BST perhaps. Could they even do a night at Wembley? Or are they not quite that size?

Poppycock, whack a jumper on and let's party. 

I dunno they're on the verge of it, see how this album fairs. Think they'll headline G one day, 2022 or sometime like that though (I don't know why I think that though so don't ask)

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

There'll be presales I'm sure. As I said earlier, we were planning to leave at 09.00, it'll be 09.05 now.

Fingers crossed. I'll be leaving from Bristol ~4/5am but could use a mates phone if it comes to that - by 11ish I'm hoping to be all pitched up with some Queens tickets in the bag!

19 hours ago, tjamest said:

Seen them about a dozen times since Rated R days and that 08 Reading set was by far the worst. Very lacklustre performance.

Yeah, they were crap at Leeds that year too. 

I've seen them 4/5 times and they've mainly been great, in fact it's perhaps just that tour which sucked. If I remember correctly R&L were the last two shows of a stupidly long tour and Homme looked fucked. Exceptional on their day though. I'd love them on the Pyramid. They can do no wrong by me. I think they're the only contemporary, straight-up balls to the floor US rock band which I've liked everything by. 

16 minutes ago, popcornmaster said:

Yeah, they were crap at Leeds that year too. 

I've seen them 4/5 times and they've mainly been great, in fact it's perhaps just that tour which sucked. If I remember correctly R&L were the last two shows of a stupidly long tour and Homme looked fucked.

Yeah they were grieving pretty hard around that time after Natasha Schneider's death. I think they've even spoke about how low an ebb they were at doing shows following that. I think there were a few difficulties towards the end of that decade but LC and it's tour put them right at the top of the game again.

...Like Clockwork is exceptionally good and I'd say they have at least two other albums as good if not better than it. Incredible band. They're not playing Wembley any time soon though surely? I don't even know how big they are really despite them being one of my very favourites, but that sounds a real stretch to me. BST too would need a stellar undercard.

Pretty cool that this year I'll see these and Mark Lanegan on top of Nick Oliveri who I saw in March, sure there are some of you who saw them all together though and I have to say I'm incredibly jealous.

I saw 'em 5 times in 2008. Two of the 5 shows were belters. Whoever posted above that they weren't quite themselves due to the death of NS are spot on IMO.

That said, even the shows I was at where they were off had some stellar moments...

Like this fr'instance -

Leeds festival 2000 mid afternoon in a half empty Evening Session tent was my first live qotsa experience. I'd only heard Feelgood Hit of the Summer and knew nothing else about them apart from they were one of NME's bands to see at Leeds/Reading.

I didn't even know that Nick often didn't bother with clothes so was quite surprised when he wandered on for i think must have been an encore 'tackle out' 

44 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

I saw 'em 5 times in 2008. Two of the 5 shows were belters. Whoever posted above that they weren't quite themselves due to the death of NS are spot on IMO.

That said, even the shows I was at where they were off had some stellar moments...

Like this fr'instance -

Thinking about it i'd seen them twice on the Era Vulgaris tour that year at Brighton and Southampton and they were superb both times which is probably why i was so disaponted with their Reading show.

I also didn't know about Natasha Schneider's passing just a few weeks earlier.

1 minute ago, tjamest said:

Thinking about it i'd seen them twice on the Era Vulgaris tour that year at Brighton and Southampton and they were superb both times which is probably why i was so disaponted with their Reading show.

Was that Southampton gig at the Guildhall? If so it was brilliant and sounded great in there despite the acoustics. I seem to remember Feel Good Hit lasting about 10 minutes going in and out of other songs including 'Spice up Your Life' and 'Old MacDonald' but I was really smashed so maybe completely off the ball with all of the above. 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah they were grieving pretty hard around that time after Natasha Schneider's death. I think they've even spoke about how low an ebb they were at doing shows following that. I think there were a few difficulties towards the end of that decade but LC and it's tour put them right at the top of the game again.

Ah I didn't know that. Definitely not an ideal time to be touring. 

I'm struggling to think whether I saw them on the LC tour but the album was a masterpiece. 

38 minutes ago, FatAmmy said:

If I could see a show with YCQMB, Better Living, Hand Model, Auto Pilot and I Never Came (Lanegan singing on the last two, obviously) in the setlist, I think I would die happy on the spot

I used to have a similar urge to hear them play I Think I Lost My Headache until I saw them in Paris. Between songs my friend said wouldn't it be mad if they just went into it with no real belief in it and without missing a beat they started playing it. 

Found this in the tour section of their website;

https://shopeu.matadorrecords.com/products/queens-of-the-stone-age-villains

EUROPEAN DATES:
04/11/17 ITALY Bologna - Unipol Arena
05/11/17 AUSTRIA Vienna - Stadthalle 
06/11/17 SWITZERLAND Zurich - Samsung Hall
07/11/17 FRANCE Paris - AccorHotels Arena 
09/11/17 GERMANY Oberhausen - König-Pilsener-Arena
10/11/17 GERMANY Munich - Zenith 
11/11/17 GERMANY Berlin - Velodrom
12/11/17 NETHERLANDS Amsterdam - Ziggo Dome
14/11/17 DENMARK Copenhagen - TAP1