Packing light when taking a toddler

Junglist1981

Good luck and enjoy! We generally found people across site are kind and Helpful  and I imagine that if you run out of anything or forget anything, a quick plea to another parent or NCT volunteer in the kidzfield would probably sort you out.  Last time we were able to get tickets was 2014 when our daughter was nearly 2, returning this year with her nearly 5 plus our 7 month old little chappy...I'm under no illusion how much harder it's going to be with two!!!

4 hours ago, Junglist1981 said:

Unfortunately it was either all or nothing for us as there's no one available to take care of him. Mrs Junglist stayed at home with him last year and massively regretted missing out.

So we're taking him and I'm sure we'll have a good time, however I'm most definitely of the view that whilst Glastonbury is brilliant for children you shouldn't bring them unless you absolutely have to. There's so much brilliant grown up stuff to do that you're gonna be deprived of by having the kids there! 

Im the opposite to this, I cant wait to take my kids! yes I know itll mean much less boozing etc but I dont think any alcohol would be able to beat the site of my kids being free and happy at their dads favourite place on earth, showing them all the sights and watching them go nuts, tell you what? ill willingly sacrifice my breakfast ciders for that. :)

Edited by waterfalls212434

10 hours ago, GlastoAwe said:

As above the NCT do baby bath time each evening (from Thursday onwards when the kidzfield opens) from memory at about 6pm, although I think they usually have a sign with details, although they're so accommodating that they would probably help you out if you need it at any other time! They also have washing up bowls and microwaves and sterilisers and a whole host of free baby stuff - nappies/wipes/creams/food etc but definitely worth bringing your own too so you're not tied to trekking back to the kidzfield when you need something, plus the kidzfield is not not open all the time, although there is a 24/7 parents welfare/help type hut at the bottom of cockmill meadow. 

We took a bulky travel cot when our daughter was 10 months which felt reassuring when we camped in our usual spot to protect against anyone tripping on the tent etc, but when we went again the following year a ready bed (with an extra blanket as the built in one was thin) worked perfectly.

If you have a comfy carrier, this is also a good option for getting round in the day if it gets muddy as buggys/trailers can get tough to push. We made use of various  lock ups around the site to store our buggy during the day when we weren't using it (and overnight to save wheeling it into the tent) so we didn't need to return to the tent, also packing a day and evening bag and exchanging from the lock ups early evening so we could walk around more lightly! 

Thanks!

NCT sounds amazing.

Yeah taking the travel cot is now completely out of the window, ready bed is being delivered later today!

We're not taking a buggy at all, taking a carrier each instead. I've got a backpack style one for daytime kinda like this:

L10511-voyager-s3-child-carrier-3.jpg

The Mrs has a Manduca carrier for using in the evening, it's kinda like this:

2312763.jpg

Reckon that should do us.

Using the lockups as a base is a great tip, I'd never even considered that! Gonna research which one is the best compromise between being central and close to our campsite.

10 hours ago, GlastoAwe said:

Good luck and enjoy! We generally found people across site are kind and Helpful  and I imagine that if you run out of anything or forget anything, a quick plea to another parent or NCT volunteer in the kidzfield would probably sort you out.  Last time we were able to get tickets was 2014 when our daughter was nearly 2, returning this year with her nearly 5 plus our 7 month old little chappy...I'm under no illusion how much harder it's going to be with two!!!

Thank you!

I'm know we'll be fine, Glastonbury spirit is a wonderful thing. I think a key part of how much we enjoy the weekend is down to me adjusting my expectations, this thread has definitely helped me to get my head round that a little bit!

10 hours ago, waterfalls212434 said:

Im the opposite to this, I cant wait to take my kids! yes I know itll mean much less boozing etc but I dont think any alcohol would be able to beat the site of my kids being free and happy at their dads favourite place on earth, showing them all the sights and watching them go nuts, tell you what? ill willingly sacrifice my breakfast ciders for that. :)

Wow you're a better man than me! I wanna drop all my responsibilities and let loose!

I've definitely started to adjust my expectations now though. Gonna be taking it steady in the evenings for sure, with the exception of maybe Friday.

And perhaps Saturday.

2 hours ago, Junglist1981 said:

Thanks!

NCT sounds amazing.

Yeah taking the travel cot is now completely out of the window, ready bed is being delivered later today!

We're not taking a buggy at all, taking a carrier each instead. I've got a backpack style one for daytime kinda like this:

L10511-voyager-s3-child-carrier-3.jpg

The Mrs has a Manduca carrier for using in the evening, it's kinda like this:

2312763.jpg

Reckon that should do us.

Using the lockups as a base is a great tip, I'd never even considered that! Gonna research which one is the best compromise between being central and close to our campsite.

Put some fairy lights or some such on the back of it for nighttime use so that people can see and not crash into it. 

11 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Put some fairy lights or some such on the back of it for nighttime use so that people can see and not crash into it. 

This is a must. We've always found that people at glasto are very patient and accommodating to people with kids, as long as they can see them. Interestingly, this seems to hold true when people are completely and utterly wasted and unable to even stand up straight.

But you do need to take steps to avoid accidents where people honestly didn't realise you had kids with you, and these are far more likely at night if you're not lit up like a Christmas tree.

8 minutes ago, Cheesey said:

This is a must. We've always found that people at glasto are very patient and accommodating to people with kids, as long as they can see them. Interestingly, this seems to hold true when people are completely and utterly wasted and unable to even stand up straight.

But you do need to take steps to avoid accidents where people honestly didn't realise you had kids with you, and these are far more likely at night if you're not lit up like a Christmas tree.

Yeah I've seen a fair few near misses over the years, especially with trolleys on the railway line at night. People think they're about to dart into a space only to almost fall on top of some small frightened looking kids.

Fairy lights purchased :)

Amazon are doing very well out of me this week.

Junglist are you all sorted bowman mate? I love taking my kids to glasto, last year I took a 7 week old and a 4.5 year old, it was amazing!

Im going in a caravan this year (last year getting in was an absolute nightmare with the mud I had the big kid on my shoulder and the baby on my front walking so slow so I didn't slip because the buggy just got so stuck!). Do you want me to bring nappies and wipes for you?

I never take any spare clothes for my kids, did one year and never used it so thought, sod that I'm just going to buy some clothes there if needs be. There are second hand kids clothes shops too and the NCT tent in the kids field has some bits and bobs too. They also have nappies for a small donation but the idea is to just take one or two each day rather than a stack load!

Never needed to wash my kids clothes either and they generally wear a clean top each bag but the same bottoms get worn twice. If it's muddy they are in waterproof gear so don't get muddy.

We pack quite light for our kids. Essentials are sun hat, sun cream, ear defenders and some Calpol/neurofen.

Food wise my kids share mine or share a portion between them and most places do kids portions you just need to ask. There is fruit and veg easy to get too and the bakeries are amazing with kids. I take a small bag of snacks each day just incase the get hungry during a set. 

You will love it! Anything else you need give me a should. I'll be in campervan east fields and really don't mind taking stuff in for you. 

On 2017-6-15 at 9:31 AM, Junglist1981 said:

Wow you're a better man than me! I wanna drop all my responsibilities and let loose!

I've definitely started to adjust my expectations now though. Gonna be taking it steady in the evenings for sure, with the exception of maybe Friday.

And perhaps Saturday.

Ive had 5 years of that including this year, now im looking forward to introducing my kids to the fun and watching them be free and happy having the time of their lives. Besides noone says you cant still do the more `adult` side of the fest as well, if I bring the kids my wife will come as well (also cant wait to see her reaction to it all) and we`ll take turns basically to go out of an eve or to be the one putting the kids down.

Edited by waterfalls212434

18 hours ago, thenavyone said:

Junglist are you all sorted bowman mate? I love taking my kids to glasto, last year I took a 7 week old and a 4.5 year old, it was amazing!

Im going in a caravan this year (last year getting in was an absolute nightmare with the mud I had the big kid on my shoulder and the baby on my front walking so slow so I didn't slip because the buggy just got so stuck!). Do you want me to bring nappies and wipes for you?

I never take any spare clothes for my kids, did one year and never used it so thought, sod that I'm just going to buy some clothes there if needs be. There are second hand kids clothes shops too and the NCT tent in the kids field has some bits and bobs too. They also have nappies for a small donation but the idea is to just take one or two each day rather than a stack load!

Never needed to wash my kids clothes either and they generally wear a clean top each bag but the same bottoms get worn twice. If it's muddy they are in waterproof gear so don't get muddy.

We pack quite light for our kids. Essentials are sun hat, sun cream, ear defenders and some Calpol/neurofen.

Food wise my kids share mine or share a portion between them and most places do kids portions you just need to ask. There is fruit and veg easy to get too and the bakeries are amazing with kids. I take a small bag of snacks each day just incase the get hungry during a set. 

You will love it! Anything else you need give me a should. I'll be in campervan east fields and really don't mind taking stuff in for you. 

Ah thank you for the nappy and wet wipe offer! We're all good now I think, we have a master plan thanks in no small part to all of the great advice from you guys in here :) 

Bought loads of bits and pieces this week. Gonna get everything packed tomorrow ready to go, so long as it fits in the car we'll be all good.

Been coming to the festival for years so we have a pretty good idea of what we're letting ourselves in for (I think), plus there's a gang of us to help out especially with carrying stuff in. 

I'll definitely be back to let you all know how we got on.

If you see a bald guy with a pint in his hand chasing a cute yet cheeky toddler around, or a fairly short redhead lady with a babycarrier on her back covered in fairy lights and a pint in her hand then that'll most likely be us :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to report that all went very well indeed :) 

The weather definitely helped, was perfect really. 

Carrying stuff in was easy enough. We basically had our usual pack each plus the big baby carrier full of his stuff. Nothing excessive, one trip from the furtherest reaches of the car park wasn't too taxing.

Wickets is by far the best spot we've ever camped. So so chilled. Our whole group of 8 adults came in with us no problem and we all loved it. The smaller queue for the bogs in the morning is a particular highlight. 

The Readybed was great, he loved it! Sure enough I was getting woken after 4 hours sleep by repeated slaps round the head, but they were always followed up by a nice hug (then more slaps and more hugs). 

He must of walked miles throughout the weekend, he's noticeably quicker now that we're back home! All the walking knackered him out and led to more naps which was handy for doing some of what we wanted. He'd run around all morning and be asleep again by midday, run around again in the afternoon then asleep once more by 7. 

Spent a few hours each day hanging about at the top of the kidz field, aside from being awesome for toddlers it's such a great place to chill out as a parent. 

Eating was a little difficult in that there weren't too many suitable snacks available. He ate a lot of fruit and pasta, and we brought a few snacky things along with us, but we got caught out a few times when wondering around. If I could make one addition to the kids field it'd be a better selection of food for toddlers (unless I missed something?). Babies are well covered in the tent at the top, and bigger kids are sorted by the cafe further down, but there's a little bit of an in between gap there for 1ish to 3ish. It's a tricky one to be fair. We probably should have brought more food with us.

Used the big backpack carrier for the journey in and out of the festival, but carried him around in the manduca for the rest of the time with him on the front. He's still just about small enough for us to get away with that, and it worked pretty well. Really felt it in my back, legs and shoulders after a long day though, tops of my legs in particular were not happy with me on Saturday night. I spent most of the Foos led down at the back of the field with him asleep on top of me as I couldn't sit on the ground whilst wearing the carrier and I couldn't put him down anywhere. The fairy lights came in useful here to ensure no one trod on me!

I can definitely see the advantage of one of those big off road buggies that lots of other parents had. Whilst I'm sure getting about the place is a little slower they must of been far less tired come the end of the day. Being able to put him down in a nice safe buggy when he was asleep would have been awesome. That's one thing I would definitely do differently.

All in all though a massive success, thank you all for the top advice. It helped that he's generally such a great little kid, his temperament is just brilliant.

So as promised here's a photo of Arthur enjoying his first Glastonbury. 

DSC03326.thumb.jpg.3f11304cdb8e1975e6893ce48e5a7dbb.jpg