Packing light when taking a toddler

Junglist1981

Hello there :) 

We've been starting to get our shit together for next week and are trying to keep luggage to a minimum as per the festival's request, but bringing an 18 month old along is making this kinda hard. Stayed at the inlaws for just one night over the weekend and the car was packed full, so whittling everything down to a bare minimum whilst still having everything we need for 5 days and nights is gonna be tricky.

As such I've got a couple of queries for all you experience Glastonbury childbringers:

Is it easy to buy toddler supplies ie nappies and wet wipes on site? How about food? What about clothes?

Is there anywhere to go to wash your toddler and/or their bottles and various other toddler paraphernalia? 

Any other tips for keeping things to a minimum?

We're thinking of bringing our travel cot which will give us peace of mind that the little man is safe and sound (and cannot escape) when in bed. However it is of course quite big and bulky. Is there a simpler option?

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Junglist1981 said:

We've been starting to get our shit together for next week and are trying to keep luggage to a minimum as per the festival's request, but bringing an 18 month old along is making this kinda hard. Stayed at the inlaws for just one night over the weekend and the car was packed full, so whittling everything down to a bare minimum whilst still having everything we need for 5 days and nights is gonna be tricky.

As such I've got a couple of queries for all you experience Glastonbury childbringers:

Is it easy to buy toddler supplies ie nappies and wet wipes on site? How about food? What about clothes?

Is there anywhere to go to wash your toddler and/or their bottles and various other toddler paraphernalia? 

We're thinking of bringing our travel cot which will give us peace of mind that the little man is safe and sound (and cannot escape) when in bed. However it is of course quite big and bulky. Is there a simpler option?

Thanks in advance!

My kids are not toddlers anymore, but we did three festivals when they were. Packing light is, to be honest, very difficult. We have to do two trips from the car.

The NCT area in the kids field is great when you've got babies/toddlers. They do give away free nappies there, but you'll need lots of your own too.

Food-wise we take a box of cereal for breakfasts (milk is readily available onsite), and loads of snacks. For everything else, most food stalls are very good and they'll give you a cheap (and usually pretty generous) kids portion if you ask (it's never advertised). Things like bangers and mash and plain chicken and rice are pretty easy to find. I'm not sure about bottles - we never did bottle feeding. The NCT place might be able to help with that, but keeping them sterile for any length of time would be very tricky.

For a couple of years we took an inflatable baby bath, and heated water up on a small stove. It worked fairly well, but wet-wipes would probably have sufficed.

Ready-beds work well, and they pack up pretty small. I never worried about the kids escaping to be honest - at 18 months they'd have a hard time finding and operating the tent zips. 

Clothing is a tricky one. When they're still regularly soiling themselves you can't get round having to take quite a lot of clothes. We can get away with far fewer clothes now that ours are a bit older. Although we now take fancy dress costumes, glowsticks and all sorts of other stuff they didn't need or want when they were toddlers, so its swings and roundabouts :) 

Edited by Cheesey

4 minutes ago, Cheesey said:

My kids are not toddlers anymore, but we did three festivals when they were. Packing light is, to be honest, very difficult. We have to do two trips from the car.

The NCT area in the kids field is great when you've got babies/toddlers. They do give away free nappies there, but you'll need a lots of your own too.

Food-wise we take a box of cereal for breakfasts (milk is readily available onsite), and loads of snacks. For everything else, most food stalls are very good and they'll give you a cheap (and usually pretty generous) kids portion if you ask (it's never advertised). Things like bangers and mash and plain chicken and rice are pretty easy to find. I'm not sure about bottles - we never did bottle feeding. The NCT place might be able to help with that, but keeping them sterile for any length of time would be very tricky.

For a couple of years we took an inflatable baby bath, and heated water up on a small stove. It worked fairly well, but wet-wipes would probably have sufficed.

Ready-beds work well, and they pack up pretty small. I never worried about the kids escaping to be honest - at 18 months they'd have a hard time finding and operating the tent zips. 

Clothing is a tricky one. When they're still regularly soiling themselves you can't get round having to take quite a lot of clothes. We can get away with far fewer clothes now that ours are a bit older. Although we now take fancy dress costumes, glowsticks and all sorts of other stuff they didn't need or want when they were toddlers, so its swings and roundabouts :) 

Nice one, thank you.

Was really hoping to buy nappies there in bulk but will have to bring them I guess.

For food I think we're just gonna wing it to be honest. Might bring a box of the little gingerbread men he likes for snacks and that, but nothing much more. I'm reasonable confident that he won't starve... :unsure:

Think we're gonna bring a washing up bowl for general cleaning of him and his stuff as required. Again was hoping not to have to but hey ho.

More concerned about him escaping from bed to come and repeatedly slap me round the head whilst I'm trying to sleep to be honest! But will look into ready-beds for sure.

Clothing is gonna be very weather dependant I guess... If it's wet he'll have a waterproof suit on which has the benefit of keeping the rest of him fairly clean and is also wipe proof :) Hot and dusty weather could be more of an issue...

Whatever happens it's certainly gonna be an experience. Of one kind or another.

3 minutes ago, Raincatcher said:

I'd just take what you would have done normally. Those of us who can pack light, will. You're not really in a situation where this is feasible and I'm fairly sure the directive doesn't really apply to those in similar situations to yourself.

Yeah that's very true.

Although it would still be nice to keep the amount of crap we bring to a minimum, for my sanity if nothing else!

5 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

Clothing is gonna be very weather dependant I guess... If it's wet he'll have a waterproof suit on which has the benefit of keeping the rest of him fairly clean and is also wipe proof :) Hot and dusty weather could be more of an issue...

That goes for adults as well as children actually.  I find it much easier to keep relatively clean underneath rain gear in wet years.  The mix of dust, sweat and sunscreen gets unpleasant quickly, still I wouldn't mind that for this year.

When mine were young at festivals we had them in all in one rash suits when it was warm - no worries about sun cream and they generally wash and dry easily. For nappies I would leave loads in the car and just get a couple of days worth as needed. The other thing that made it much easier was not going for quite as long so I probably wouldnt arrive until Thursday evening so it lessens all the stuff needed - 5 days is just too much for all of you.

Food I would just wing it - milk is readily available after all and you can just bung it in a sippy cup and wash it out with some boiling water. 

I wouldnt worry about a travel cot either as above. 

Good luck!

this is exactly the reason I havnt brought the kids yet, I wanted to this year with my wife as well but at 2 and 5 year old itd just be to much esp with the 2 year old being in nappys, I should say we dont drive so it would have to be public transport either coach or train so pretty much impossible im guessing until they are both out of nappys etc as itd be just to much to bring, after fallow year next year itll be a 4 yo and a 7 yo by the time 2019 glasto swings around so im thinking thatll much more manageable for their first time. :P

Edited by waterfalls212434

7 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

When mine were young at festivals we had them in all in one rash suits when it was warm - no worries about sun cream and they generally wash and dry easily. For nappies I would leave loads in the car and just get a couple of days worth as needed. The other thing that made it much easier was not going for quite as long so I probably wouldnt arrive until Thursday evening so it lessens all the stuff needed - 5 days is just too much for all of you.

Food I would just wing it - milk is readily available after all and you can just bung it in a sippy cup and wash it out with some boiling water. 

I wouldnt worry about a travel cot either as above. 

Good luck!

Thanks!

Definitely gonna keep him as covered up as possible. Thankfully he loves wearing hats lol which is very helpful.

The full 5 days is a must for us, hopefully we're not regretting that come Saturday morning! Whatever happens at least we'll have plenty of advice to give out to others in future years.

6 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

this is exactly the reason I havnt brought the kids yet, I wanted to this year with my wife as well but at 2 and 5 year old itd just be to much esp with the 2 year old being in nappys, I should say we dont drive so it would have to be public transport either coach or train so pretty much impossible im guessing until they are both out of nappys etc as itd be just to much to bring, after fallow year next year itll be a 4 yo and a 7 yo by the time 2019 glasto swings around so im thinking thatll much more manageable for their first time. :P

Unfortunately it was either all or nothing for us as there's no one available to take care of him. Mrs Junglist stayed at home with him last year and massively regretted missing out.

So we're taking him and I'm sure we'll have a good time, however I'm most definitely of the view that whilst Glastonbury is brilliant for children you shouldn't bring them unless you absolutely have to. There's so much brilliant grown up stuff to do that you're gonna be deprived of by having the kids there! 

2 hours ago, Junglist1981 said:

Thanks in advance!

Hello there mate. First of all, as others have said, taking a kid to Glasters is *very* tough so don't think theres anything unusual here. Those of us that've been there know just what youre going through.

-> Wet wipes are available at most of the 24hr stores. Nappies not so much. Specially not the size/type youre comfortable with. I would ensure you have enough to last you the trip. The baby food/pouches/snacks your kid may like may not be available. As for clothes - negative.

-> The tent(s) at the very back of the Kids Field are purely for tiny ones like your little fella and his parents. They have decades of experience and are your ally for the week. Theyve dealt with manys the frazzled parents, particularly when the weather gets too wet/cold.

-> As per my earlier comments, with an 18mth old you don't really get much options. You need to prepare for all eventualities and weather conditions.

-> We relied upon really warm sleepysuits for our two little ones when they were at the festival. Along with a sling and ear defenders these are the three most important things. I wouldnt waste your time with a travel cot pal.

Just now, Wooderson said:

Hello there mate. First of all, as others have said, taking a kid to Glasters is *very* tough so don't think theres anything unusual here. Those of us that've been there know just what youre going through.

-> Wet wipes are available at most of the 24hr stores. Nappies not so much. Specially not the size/type youre comfortable with. I would ensure you have enough to last you the trip. The baby food/pouches/snacks your kid may like may not be available. As for clothes - negative.

-> The tent(s) at the very back of the Kids Field are purely for tiny ones like your little fella and his parents. They have decades of experience and are your ally for the week. Theyve dealt with manys the frazzled parents, particularly when the weather gets too wet/cold.

-> As per my earlier comments, with an 18mth old you don't really get much options. You need to prepare for all eventualities and weather conditions.

-> We relied upon really warm sleepysuits for our two little ones when they were at the festival. Along with a sling and ear defenders these are the three most important things. I wouldnt waste your time with a travel cot pal.

Top tips, thank you!

Very good to know about the tents at the back of the Kidz field, will definitely go find them as soon as we can.

Just now, Junglist1981 said:

Top tips, thank you!

Very good to know about the tents at the back of the Kidz field, will definitely go find them as soon as we can.

If at all possible get a spec in Cockmill. Right beside the Kids field. You'll have a way easier time than if you end up in Wicket. Both are quiet and safe.

9 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

I actually think it can positively show you how little you really need for a baby/toddler and how much western gubbins and routines etc we think we have to be tied to when just letting the toddler sleep in between you and being more relaxed can be a real learning experience. 

Also take lots of bubble mixture. 

Being more relaxed is definitely something I'll have to keep in mind. I'm usually charging about the place from on thing to another on 4 hours sleep, will have to step it down a few gears this year for sure.

No way on earth is he gonna be sleeping between us in the same bed though, I have never known a bigger sleep fidget in my life! 

Here's a picture of him sleeping:

pyx244.gif

Bubble mixture is a genius tip! Will definitely take plenty.

13 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

If at all possible get a spec in Cockmill. Right beside the Kids field. You'll have a way easier time than if you end up in Wicket. Both are quiet and safe.

I think the chances of us getting Cockmill are slim unfortunately, won't arrive until late Wednesday afternoon and we have a big tent for 8 of us.

We know the festival very well though so I'm sure we'll be ok.

5 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

I think the chances of us getting Cockmill are slim unfortunately, won't arrive until late Wednesday afternoon and we have a big tent for 8 of us.

We know the festival very well though so I'm sure we'll be ok.

Ah good to hear. Enjoy mate.

No kids myself but we have a few in the group and lessons get learned every year.

Yes to ready beds.  Stick it between your 2 inflatable single beds and your little angel is going nowhere unsupervised. And it's like a slumber party.

Take a washing up bowl and a wee camping stove so you can bathe kiddo as and when.  Everyone loves an outdoor bath! :D It also means you're not restricted to NCT opening hours in case of an upset tummy.  It can be packed with nappies and stuff to make itself useful.

Take far more clothes than you think you'll need.  My mate had to resort to washing things with hand soap the first year of kids.  Washing up bowl is useful for this eventuality.

Food - bring lots and lots of snacks and a portion or two of something easy that can be heated on the stove in a pinch.

3 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

No kids myself but we have a few in the group and lessons get learned every year.

Yes to ready beds.  Stick it between your 2 inflatable single beds and your little angel is going nowhere unsupervised. And it's like a slumber party.

Take a washing up bowl and a wee camping stove so you can bathe kiddo as and when.  Everyone loves an outdoor bath! :D It also means you're not restricted to NCT opening hours in case of an upset tummy.  It can be packed with nappies and stuff to make itself useful.

Take far more clothes than you think you'll need.  My mate had to resort to washing things with hand soap the first year of kids.  Washing up bowl is useful for this eventuality.

Food - bring lots and lots of snacks and a portion or two of something easy that can be heated on the stove in a pinch.

Even more top tips, thank you!

God I hope he doesn't get an upset tummy!! That stuff of nightmares...

Extra clothes makes a lot of sense, will try and pack in as much as we can.

Thanks so much for all the great advice, way more than I expected. 

I've a terrible memory, but I'll be sure to try and come back to this thread in a fortnight's time to let you all know how we got on and pass on any new found tips of our own :) 

Might even upload a cheeky photo of the little man enjoying his first Glastonbury. He's very cute you know ;) 

Depending on the design of your tent you should be able to shut the inner door with the zippers at the top of the door rather than at the bottom witch will prevent a toddler escaping. 

Food wise we took some of  those foil pouches with the screw top lids of fruit purée for snacks/breakfasts and taught daughter to suck the contents out beforehand so we didn't need to bother with bowls.  

Ntc tent in the kids field do baby baths at set times witch can be handy and in 2010 when it was mega hot the had a paddling pool set up all the time, great for when daughter was too hot during the day. 

Cafe in the kids kids field is also good for children's food. 

These is a tent in cockmill that is open the hours  the kids field isn't closed for bottle feeding/changing/getting out of the elements and recharging 

Edited by fur_q

3 minutes ago, fur_q said:

Depending on the design of your tent you should be able to shut the inner door with the zippers at the top of the door rather than at the bottom witch will prevent a toddler escaping. 

Food wise we took some of  those foil pouches with the screw top lids of fruit purée for snacks/breakfasts and taught daughter to suck the contents out beforehand so we didn't need to bother with bowls.  

Ntc tent in the kids field do baby baths at set times witch can be handy and in 2010 when it was mega hot the had a paddling pool set up all the time, great for when daughter was too hot during the day. 

Cafe in the kids kids field is also good for children's food. 

Top zip tip!

Ah yeah I didn't think of those (the foil fruity things), he loves them so that's a good shout.

Will definitely have to find out when bath time is. 1 or 2 days without a bath isn't too bad, but any more than that is just a bit skanky.

That's awesome about the paddling pool! 

As above the NCT do baby bath time each evening (from Thursday onwards when the kidzfield opens) from memory at about 6pm, although I think they usually have a sign with details, although they're so accommodating that they would probably help you out if you need it at any other time! They also have washing up bowls and microwaves and sterilisers and a whole host of free baby stuff - nappies/wipes/creams/food etc but definitely worth bringing your own too so you're not tied to trekking back to the kidzfield when you need something, plus the kidzfield is not not open all the time, although there is a 24/7 parents welfare/help type hut at the bottom of cockmill meadow. 

We took a bulky travel cot when our daughter was 10 months which felt reassuring when we camped in our usual spot to protect against anyone tripping on the tent etc, but when we went again the following year a ready bed (with an extra blanket as the built in one was thin) worked perfectly.

If you have a comfy carrier, this is also a good option for getting round in the day if it gets muddy as buggys/trailers can get tough to push. We made use of various  lock ups around the site to store our buggy during the day when we weren't using it (and overnight to save wheeling it into the tent) so we didn't need to return to the tent, also packing a day and evening bag and exchanging from the lock ups early evening so we could walk around more lightly!