2017 Glastonbury tube map

deadstillstanding

Hey everyone!

I made a tube map of the site last year that some people seemed to find pretty useful. Well I've updated it for 2017 – basically just by adding Cineramageddon. Hope it helps!

I'll be onsite on Friday and wish you all an excellent festival. If you or anyone you meet runs into any difficulty of any kind, please come and check in with us at welfare – we can help, in confidence, no questions asked. I'm in the Green Welfare tent by the old railway track (the one with this map stuck to the outside...).

- Pete

PS Last year a few people requested a high res image with a transparent background for high quality printing, so here's that version too.

Glasto 2017 tube map.gif

Edited by deadstillstanding

40 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Add on question. What would you name each of the lines?

Some are easy - old railway track, muddy lane, etc. But most don't have commonly known names so it wouldn't help.

39 minutes ago, mjsell said:

I love this tube map btw, but I do have the tiniest of issues with what happens to the line after/before the Blues?

Not sure I follow..? That route ends when it meets the other. What's missing?

36 minutes ago, paulshane said:

brilliant stuff :) but should the circles be 'doubles' showing you can change lines ?

disclaimer: i don't live in london, so dont see a tube map very often :)

Nah. The doubles on the tube map are when there are two sections to a station with an underpass or whatever connecting them. Doesn't really make sense on here. I did try using them for areas like the Pyramid and Other but it just looked a bit dump as didn't really help.

Edited by deadstillstanding

3 minutes ago, deadstillstanding said:

Not sure I follow..? That route ends when it meets the other. What's missing?

Thats not what happens on the normal tube map. The lines would run parallel to one another until their teminus station.

Like I said, its not important and the creation looks and is fantastic, it was just a tiny sidenote.

9 minutes ago, deadstillstanding said:

Nah. The doubles on the tube map are when there are two sections to a station with an underpass or whatever connecting them. Doesn't really make sense on here. I did try using them for areas like the Pyramid and Other but it just looked a bit dump as didn't really help.

ah, cool :)

18 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Thats not what happens on the normal tube map. The lines would run parallel to one another until their teminus station.

Like I said, its not important and the creation looks and is fantastic, it was just a tiny sidenote.

I respectfully disagree. Several lines terminate when they meet another line. It's only if a service runs to a shared terminal that the lines continue in parallel. The difference is that on the tube there a station at a terminal, whereas on this map the 'stations' are stages or other points of interest, which don't appear at every junction. I did try putting stations on all the line intersections but it didn't make much sense and looked like I'd just forgotten to label them.

10 minutes ago, deadstillstanding said:

I respectfully disagree. Several lines terminate when they meet another line. It's only if a service runs to a shared terminal that the lines continue in parallel. The difference is that on the tube there a station at a terminal, whereas on this map the 'stations' are stages or other points of interest, which don't appear at every junction. I did try putting stations on all the line intersections but it didn't make much sense and looked like I'd just forgotten to label them.

I hate to argue, but there is nowhere on a London tube map where a line ends when not at a station like the green line does in your glasto version.  If it is followiing the tube map layout style It should either continue running parallel with the purple to Gate A/D or end at The Blues.

I'm going to stop now though - because like I have said it really is a fantastic piece of art that you have created.

19 minutes ago, mjsell said:

I hate to argue, but there is nowhere on a London tube map where a line ends when not at a station like the green line does in your glasto version.  If it is followiing the tube map layout style It should either continue running parallel with the purple to Gate A/D or end at The Blues.

As I say, the difference is that on the tube there's a station at every lines' terminal, but station means something different on this map so it wouldn't make sense to put one on in this case. The path through Silver Hayes continues past the Blues until it terminates where it meets the other path.

17 minutes ago, paulshane said:

would a slight change like this settle everyone down ? :)

Image1.jpg

It definitely might improve Silver Hayes.

The discussion is all good though. There are a few different ways to do this map, I know 'cos I've tried them all. Last year I spent the best part of a week trying to reconcile the tube map logic with the functional reality of being a lost punter wandering around at Glastonbury. I think this strikes the right balance between it being a slavish TFL tribute map, something that makes sense on the ground, and not looking too messy. I'm 100% willing to revise if anyone comes up with any good ideas.