Football 17/18

TheGayTent

Just now, TheGayTent said:

Does he? 

I suspect if he wasn't tied into silence by way of severance pay his biggest defence will be he wasn't given what he requested by way of Walsh/Kenwright. 

Walsh has had 3 windows. How successful do we think he's been? 

Not being an Everton fan I cannot speak with any authority on their internal workings, but at most clubs the manager gets final sign-off on transfer targets. If Koeman is jumping up and down screaming "I need a striker!" and Walsh is going off buying number 10's on a whim then fine, but I cannot accept that Koeman wasn't at least complicit in these dealings.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Not being an Everton fan I cannot speak with any authority on their internal workings, but at most clubs the manager gets final sign-off on transfer targets. If Koeman is jumping up and down screaming "I need a striker!" and Walsh is going off buying number 10's on a whim then fine, but I cannot accept that Koeman wasn't at least complicit in these dealings.

This is what Koeman said just before the window closed:

“But the most important is to have a striker in, and one more player. That's what we need.”

“Everyone knows, the board knows the importance of those two signings.”

We know Everton didn't buy a striker. Koeman went back to the guy he'd identified as not being good enough and had farmed out to Hull....

11 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Does he? 

I suspect if he wasn't tied into silence by way of severance pay his biggest defence will be he wasn't given what he requested by way of Walsh/Kenwright. 

Walsh has had 3 windows. How successful do we think he's been? 

To be fair if Walsh convinced Everton he was a genius based on one season at Leicester then he played his cards well.

1 minute ago, TheGayTent said:

This is what Koeman said just before the window closed:

“But the most important is to have a striker in, and one more player. That's what we need.”

“Everyone knows, the board knows the importance of those two signings.”

We know Everton didn't buy a striker. Koeman went back to the guy he'd identified as not being good enough and had farmed out to Hull....

If a striker was the priority then that £50m on Sigurdsson makes even less sense.

5 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

To be fair if Walsh convinced Everton he was a genius based on one season at Leicester then he played his cards well.

I suspect he gave examples like Drogba at Chelsea as other success stories he played a part in to go with the likes of Mahrez & Kante etc. 

As far as I'm aware on the striker, the club believed they had Giroud lined up but Arsenel changed their minds at the last minute. They then looked at other options but were quoted silly money (i.e. £80m for Benteke) Also approached Costa who didn't want to come. You could blame walsh for not having a number of potential targets lined up at different price points. Onyekuru does look like a prospect when I saw him against PSG but it looks like he will be sold without playing for the club due to work permit issues.

Edited by lost

Sky reporting Tuchel "open to approach" but Kenwright wants Unsworth:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11671/11096384/thomas-tuchel-open-to-an-approach-from-everton-over-managerial-vacancy

May be about to find out who's really in charge at the top.

Edited by lost