Football 17/18

TheGayTent

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

He'll be remembered a lot more fondly in years to come. Clubs all time scorer, 5 leagues and a champions league.

But he dirtied his bib so many times both professionally and personally his career is tainted in comparison to someone like Scholes or Keane. He asked to leave a couple of times, refused to play on occasion, was seen smoking on holidays a few times, weight fluctuations etc meaning his career has been significantly shortened and hes been fairly useless since he was 28 or 29. Which is sad. 

And his public issues with Ferguson were never going to go well at Old Trafford. Fergie went above and beyond to protect him after he cheated on his missus. Gave him time off etc. He has also been on 250k a week for a lot of that time which is a bit of a slap in the face.

His behaviour is certainly a factor is his lack of adulation.

It's strange to think that we'll look back at Rooney's career, and despite the numerous titles, cups, European trophies (CBA looking up how many exactly) and personal accolades, there will still be a feeling that he wasted some of his potential. He burnt out by the time he turned 30 and has nobody to blame but himself.

4 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

I think it's a lot to do with Man Utd being (comparatively) shit right now. 

If Man Utd had won the double this season Rooney would be walking away with a heroic send off. 

They did win the double didnt they? :P

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

His behaviour is certainly a factor is his lack of adulation.

It's strange to think that we'll look back at Rooney's career, and despite the numerous titles, cups, European trophies (CBA looking up how many exactly) and personal accolades, there will still be a feeling that he wasted some of his potential. He burnt out by the time he turned 30 and has nobody to blame but himself.

I think a lot of that had to do with the goal he scored against Arsenal when he just started playing and the media hype that followed. He was never going to live up to those expectations. Unless England won the World Cup and he did a Maradona 86 on it.

Agree he has no one to blame but himself for being burned out yeah. But who knows? Maybe a change of club could do him good. 

8 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Agree he has no one to blame but himself for being burned out yeah. But who knows? Maybe a change of club could do him good. 

I don't see it unfortunately. I don't think he's the sort of player or personality who can buckle down and make the sort of training and lifestyle changes that he'd need to prolong his career. Might even be too late for him to repair the damage.

I'm just grateful it's not my club throwing £250k a week at him.

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'm just grateful it's not my club throwing £250k a week at him.

Thats the real issue yeah. Threw a tantrum, cheated on his missus, club protected him to the point where Fergie looked a bit silly, got his 250k a week and then spotted on holidays

24905-16872e-wayne-rooney-cigar-1822585a

1 minute ago, TheGayTent said:

Rooney not being adored by all can't be to do with smoking the odd fag while on holiday or shagging around a bit surely??

Nah, there would be very few footballers that people actually like otherwise. I think it's more to do with his on-field tantrums and the constant red-faced snarling at referees that puts the average punter off him. Then you've got all the shit that Nal mentioned that has alienated him a little from United fans.

21 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Rooney not being adored by all can't be to do with smoking the odd fag while on holiday or shagging around a bit surely??

When his shagging around is causing him to miss games and forcing his manager to lie about him being injured to keep him away from the cameras for a bit its an issue yeah, stating he wants to leave in October wasn't a great move either.

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Nah, there would be very few footballers that people actually like otherwise. I think it's more to do with his on-field tantrums and the constant red-faced snarling at referees that puts the average punter off him. 

Utd fans like him for that. Shows a bit of passion. Can see why other fans would hate him for it though. 

10 minutes ago, The Nal said:

When his shagging around is causing him to miss games and forcing his manager to lie about him being injured to keep him away from the cameras for a bit its an issue yeah, stating he wants to leave in October wasn't a great move either.

Just shows you how the media changing over the years has changed the game in other ways. 

How many Man Utd fans have a lesser opinion of Rooney for the reasons you describe yet at the same time sing Spirit in the Sky...

I can't see Rooney being offered £250k it makes the Barkley contract situation sound ridiculous. I also can't see Sandro being happy on our bench after he quit Barcelona for the same reason so I'd expect him and Bolasie off the front two if Klaassen is going in the middle and there is still Barkley, Mirallas, Lookman and Calvert-Lewin who all played that position last season. 

It really doesn't sound right unless he is being signed to attract higher quality players? But Koeman seems to be able to do that with his reputation. 

It's a bit odd why Rooney isn't seen as a Utd legend, and the likes of cantona and ronaldo are.

rooney bagful of medals, 13 years and leading scorer. Cantona did 4 and a half years and was banned for nearly a year of those.

i can't remember to many players who started as early as Rooney and not burned out early. Maybe giggs, then again giggs was managed correctly throughout his career.

5 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I see Barkley as the most overrated "prospect" there's been in 10 years. A wonder ball every 4th game doesn't make a good player.

Koeman doesn't seem to rate him. I can't see the top 6 wanting him so he'll probably end up somewhere like erm Newcastle. Pretty terrible against the top 6 but then so is Lukaku.

Only 23 though, and his stats hold up well, in the top 3 English midfielders for assists the last two years,  at the same age Osman had played 5 league games I think?

Edited by lost

7 hours ago, Chinaski_ said:

I know I shouldn't be surprised by anything in football anymore, but Ruben Neves is going to Wolves for £15m. What the fuck?! 

The only surprise about that transfer is people believing the fee will be anywhere close to £15m 

18 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I see Barkley as the most overrated "prospect" there's been in 10 years. A wonder ball every 4th game doesn't make a good player.

Worked for Steven Gerrard ;) 

15 hours ago, thetime said:

rooney bagful of medals, 13 years and leading scorer. Cantona did 4 and a half years and was banned for nearly a year of those.

Cantona was the reason Utd started winning leagues again after such a long time. The guy was one of the best footballers ever to grace the English game when he was on form. His style and presence was mesmerizing. He was an enigma and his press conferences were must watch even if we did not understand any of the gibberish he uttered. His aggression, that sometimes went too far, at the time was often viewed as entertainment by the watching neutral. He was French, he was cool and his nickname was The King.

Wayne joined a team who won things, expected to win things and was followed by a set of fans who expected to win things. So his insertion into the squad did not result in a major change. Although very effective, somehow there was always folk questioning him. His style did not ooze class and sexiness. He is rough as fuck and a bit of a plank, coming across thick as shit at times.  When he was made captain no one really thought that was the right thing for such a character. His aggression looked petulant, rubbing folk up the wrong way, while other characters at Utd throughout the years have somehow been able to express aggression on the pitch in a more "mature", "cool" manner.  Wanye's nicknames were Shriek, Wazza,  Roo, and Granny Fucker. 

He will eventually be viewed as a Utd legend, but wont come near the esteem and status of the likes of Cantona

16 hours ago, thetime said:

i can't remember to many players who started as early as Rooney and not burned out early. Maybe giggs, then again giggs was managed correctly throughout his career.

Pele, Messi, Ronaldo, Maldini, Buffon, Russell Beardsmore.......

Just shows you how the media changing over the years has changed the game in other ways. 

How many Man Utd fans have a lesser opinion of Rooney for the reasons you describe yet at the same time sing Spirit in the Sky...

Time will prove his status. Hes a legend at the club no question. 

Just as time has healed the wounds at Everton. Remember how hated he was when he was kissing the Utd badge in front of the blue fans. All forgotten now.

Edited by The Nal

11 hours ago, Chinaski_ said:

I know I shouldn't be surprised by anything in football anymore, but Ruben Neves is going to Wolves for £15m. What the fuck?! 

It's just part of Mendes' in no way dodgy scheme to offload all the junk on his books on to Wolves in the hope that one or two of them come good and they can pick up a nice fat fee for them.

I've never seen Neves play and know absolutely nothing about him, but if he is as good as some seem to be making out then why is he signing for a mid-table Championship side?

Whole thing stinks.