Football 17/18

TheGayTent

Sweeps are such a waste of time. 

Realistically there is only probably about 6 teams (if even) with a real chance of winning it, and depending on the way in which the prize money is divvied up there are few teams you can get in which your odds are better than you would get down the bookies with outright betting.

If its a winner takes all sweep scenario then thats great for those who get the Brazils Germanys and Spains of this world, as they effectively get them at 32/1 as opposed to 4/1 or 5/1, but with your odds of getting a decent team drawn out of a hat of 32 about 1/8 you are better off heading down the bookies with yer fiver and taking a punt on maybe one of the good yet darker of the horses in the race IMO. Who the fuck wants Iran, Panama, Morocco etc etc............?? and sure if by some miracle some shite team wins it all (like Greece in Euro 2004) your winnings would only be at 32/1 instead of the colossal odds you could of had with them if you are nuts enough to outright bet on a shite team..........

Ah sure its a bit of craic eh? ;)

Edited by ThomThomDrum

29 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Are you trying to tell me that I won't win with Senegal or Australia?!

Im saying you will have so much fun not winning with Senegal and Oz ;) 

Sweeps, if you are going to do them at all, should be seeded. You should not be able to get fucked with two really shite teams. Get 16 folk and split the seeds giving 2 teams to each, one top seed and one bottom. Have a prize for winner, 2nd and maybe most goals conceded. At least then your chance of getting a real contender is 1/4 and with the shite draw you may get a team that gets spanked and that may see you at the least double yer money.......... 

2 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Sweeps, if you are going to do them at all, should be seeded. You should not be able to get fucked with two really shite teams. Get 16 folk and split the seeds giving 2 teams to each, one top seed and one bottom. Have a prize for winner, 2nd and maybe most goals conceded. At least then your chance of getting a real contender is 1/4 and with the shite draw you may get a team that gets spanked and that may see you at the least double yer money.......... 

Which is what we did.

My 'good' team are Columbia

1 minute ago, ThomThomDrum said:

It's a lot better with smaller groups and seeding, means people have more chance of feeling invested throughout. We've got a group of 7, each get 4 teams and put in a tenner, then the winner buys everyone a drink. No-one does it expecting to win, just adds an extra interest to otherwise neutral matches. 

Or maybe I'm just happy cos I drew Germany...

14 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Just stuck a quid on Russia to win 3-0. Turned on ITV, they're saying Russia are awful :lol:

They got a draw against England in the Euros, if that counts for anything! Most on here probably didn't watch Wales v Russia (as England playing same time) but they were terrible in that game. I have some concerns they may get some friendly officiating!

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

They got a draw against England in the Euros, if that counts for anything! Most on here probably didn't watch Wales v Russia (as England playing same time) but they were terrible in that game. I have some concerns they may get some friendly officiating!

My knowledge of international football is shocking to be honest. I don't watch England anymore apart from during these tournaments. 

The best world cup sweepstake that I have been involved in, worked on the basis of seeding every team 1-32 based on world rankings (which I know isnt the most fair but actually made it more interesting). Then you recieved a payout if your team progressed further than their world ranking suggested they would. For example when Iceland went further than expected at the last Euros the person with that pick gets more back than they put in. The winner then wins the remaining pot after those deductions have been taken  (the winner also receives the bonuses if its a team that goes further than expected). Its a bit complicated but works a treat when done well.

In other news: The World Cup starts today!

Edited by mjsell

Started doing an acca yesterday just on the first 20 games of the World Cup... came out at around 41,000/1 - and that was picking the favourites! Of course a 20 team acca is never coming in.

Definite money to be had during the World Cup though. Uruguay and a draw for me today.

On 6/15/2018 at 12:09 AM, mjsell said:

The best world cup sweepstake that I have been involved in, worked on the basis of seeding every team 1-32 based on world rankings (which I know isnt the most fair but actually made it more interesting). Then you recieved a payout if your team progressed further than their world ranking suggested they would. For example when Iceland went further than expected at the last Euros the person with that pick gets more back than they put in. The winner then wins the remaining pot after those deductions have been taken  (the winner also receives the bonuses if its a team that goes further than expected). Its a bit complicated but works a treat when done well.

In other news: The World Cup starts today!

I did a World Cup sweep years ago where everyone ended up with two teams. I can't remember how the hell I did it now but 4 people all had the winning team and the payout was based on where their second team came. It worked out well with keeping people's interest going, even up to the final, 8 people still had a chance of winning some cash.