Football 17/18

TheGayTent

Probably going to get murdered on here for this but...

What's the obsession with the safe standing thing? I'm guessing you're all going to say atmosphere but I couldn't imagine anything worse than having to stand for 2 hours if seating is available. 

And before anyone says about gigs, you're usually all the way back at gigs in the seats. 

38 minutes ago, zahidf said:

yeah. loads of muslim sportsman play sports during ramadan without issue.

Bringing it up seems a shitty thing to do 

Why? Comes up every year at this time. Especially with a World Cup. Just like in Brazil.

Salah and Mane. And Can I've just seen. Not eating or drinking water from 4am and then playing a Champions League Final at 8pm is a concern for Liverpool surely? 14 hours with no water before a 90 minute match. 

I know of loads of Muslim players who don't fast on match days. Anelka hat to stop because he kept getting injured. 

Heres a shot putter. 

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/jul/22/ramadan-olympics-fasting

But there have been studies done that show its effects athletes. I'm just curious is all. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17224435

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22375237

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Salah and Mane. And Can I've just seen. Not eating or drinking water from 4am and then playing a Champions League Final at 8pm is a concern for Liverpool surely? 14 hours with no water before a 90 minute match. 

How strict are each of them?

What I'm guessing is you aren't meant to have sex before marriage, but here's betting it didn't stop you. :P

21 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

What's the obsession with the safe standing thing? I'm guessing you're all going to say atmosphere but I couldn't imagine anything worse than having to stand for 2 hours if seating is available. 

And before anyone says about gigs, you're usually all the way back at gigs in the seats. 

I’m assuming you are at an age when standing wasn’t the norm at football. 

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Dunno. Thats what I'm wondering. Seems Salah is fairly strict about it.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/plan-ensure-mohamed-salah-peak-14412792

What I'm guessing is you aren't meant to have sex before marriage, but here's betting it didn't stop you. :P

I'm not religious, but yeah remember having sex alright, I think John Major had just resigned. 

2 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Having done both the atmosphere is better standing, it used to be cheaper and I found it a better social experience with friends.

3 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Why?

Kills me and I've always been an active person so it's not anything like that. I struggle at Glastonbury at times.

3 hours ago, thetime said:

I’m assuming you are at an age when standing wasn’t the norm at football. 

Yes, I'm of the PL era. Other than local football, I've only had to stand once at a match. Newcastle away at Marseille and it was hard work.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Having done both the atmosphere is better standing, it used to be cheaper and I found it a better social experience with friends.

That'll probably still be the case even if they introduce it. 

14 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Yes, I'm of the PL era. Other than local football, I've only had to stand once at a match. Newcastle away at Marseille and it was hard work.

I would say it it’s just they type who have rose tinted glasses how good it was, in the same way people say Glastonbury was better in the 90s(it was though),  I used to stand in my teens but wouldn’t even think of it now. 

I cant see the problem if people want to stand though. 

35 minutes ago, thetime said:

I’m always amazed when people who prefer sitting are also against the choice to stand. 

Given how many problems there are when ‘sitters’ are forced to stand due to others wanting to stand who are in the rows in front of them...I’d have thought if you offer the choice, this problem goes away. 

At the moment, you’re left with unofficial standing areas at home which usually makes the problem redundant - away games though can be an issue depending on the make up of the support. (I can count on one hand the amount of times post Taylor Report I’ve sat at a West Ham away game - usually 100% of the away support stand. Which of course, means any West Ham supporter that wants to go away and sit down, can’t. ) 

Edited by TheGayTent

28 minutes ago, thetime said:

I would say it it’s just they type who have rose tinted glasses how good it was, in the same way people say Glastonbury was better in the 90s(it was though),  I used to stand in my teens but wouldn’t even think of it now. 

I still on occasions (some away matches) have the option to sit or stand and choose the latter.

Interesting to see how this Wembley purchase (if it happens) plays out in the long term in regards to Spurs' NFL deal for their new stadium. Khan is nailing his colours to the Wembley mast by the looks of things. And despite it currently being nothing more than a business aquisition, there is surely no doubt he is maneuvering into a position where he is prepared should a London franchise become a possibility.