Football 17/18

TheGayTent

Just now, zahidf said:

I found it interesting as a historical piece

well, I can't say I'm in the know with what Liverpool fans supposedly love or hate, but as someone who was a fully formed (ha!) adult back then any violence in Rome isn't anything triggering a memory with me.

For any Liverpool fans who might remember it, I suspect it's just one of many similar incidents from back then. It certainly doesn't sound from that article to be anything untypical of back then.

22 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

well, I can't say I'm in the know with what Liverpool fans supposedly love or hate, but as someone who was a fully formed (ha!) adult back then any violence in Rome isn't anything triggering a memory with me.

For any Liverpool fans who might remember it, I suspect it's just one of many similar incidents from back then. It certainly doesn't sound from that article to be anything untypical of back then.

oh fair enough. It does sound like something which Roma fans may have more of resonance with though! (hence liverpool fans should refrain from bottle throwing, like they should anyway!)

Edited by zahidf

32 minutes ago, zahidf said:

oh fair enough. It does sound like something which Roma fans may have more of resonance with though! (hence liverpool fans should refrain from bottle throwing, like they should anyway!)

I'd actually been quite surprised by the level of respect shown between the two sets of fans in the build-up, most of the revenge for '84 talk seems to be in good humour. There's seems to be a bit of mutual respect for over-coming tough opponents and being seen as underdogs. There may be some hostility in some corners but it's hardly a festering resentment between the clubs the article seems to be making it out to be.

12 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

We're desperate for a No 10! I know Perez has done well these past few weeks but tonight showed why he isn't good enough. Should have gone in 1 up but he over hit a simple through ball to Slimani while under no pressure and no man to pass it beyond.

I understand why you didn't watch it but it was far worse than you imagine, both teams misplacing passes and just generally a sloppy game.

I kinda feel that between Perez, Merino, and potentially playing 2 up front occasionally we're not completely desperate for one. Not in the way we need a striker and keeper. If we're creating chances but not finishing a no.10 doesn't feel quite as urgent.

I do agree though, it's definitely one of our weakest positions. 

3 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I kinda feel that between Perez, Merino, and potentially playing 2 up front occasionally we're not completely desperate for one. Not in the way we need a striker and keeper. If we're creating chances but not finishing a no.10 doesn't feel quite as urgent.

I do agree though, it's definitely one of our weakest positions. 

Certainly they're the 3 positions that need sorting. 

14 minutes ago, The Nal said:

This season Roma have conceded 17 goals away from home in the Champions League and conceded 0 at home. 

but they also haven't come up against a scoring-machine like Liverpool have been this season.

I'm in no way confident that Liverpool will remain on top, but Liverpool do at least have what happened to Barca as prior warning of how it might go, and can adjust their game plan to take that into account.

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

5286B738-BFFF-426F-B68F-9B74F2AB1696.png

there's so many things being put to bed. 

Did you know, for example, that Liverpool have the Prem's best defensive record from corners* counting from the match after the loss to Spurs at Wembley in October?

(caveat: it's possible the last match against WBA changed that, I'm not sure).

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

but they also haven't come up against a scoring-machine like Liverpool have been this season.

I'm in no way confident that Liverpool will remain on top, but Liverpool do at least have what happened to Barca as prior warning of how it might go, and can adjust their game plan to take that into account.

Barca have scored as many in the league as Liverpool. 

But yea I can't see Liverpool not scoring. Can't see Roma pulling a miracle off again. They're not that good. 

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

and liverpool have scored 18 times in their last 5 away CL games. theyll probably be ok

Just now, The Nal said:

Barca have scored as many in the league as Liverpool. 

it's a weaker league, tho.

Just now, The Nal said:

But yea I can't see Liverpool not scoring. Can't see Roma pulling a miracle off again. They're not that good. 

just came across this...

Chances of progressing after result of first leg, based on historic results in all European competitions:

5-0 home win - 100% (132 occasions, never eliminated)
5-2 home win - 82.6% (23 occasions, 4 times eliminated)

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Can't see Roma pulling a miracle off again. They're not that good. 

a big part of what gave them the mojo to do that was that the result in Barca flattered Barca. Two own goals, and a decent shout for a penalty denied.

Despite the 'come back' last night, I can't see them feeling anywhere near as good about it.

My take on the 'come back' was that at 5-0 Liverpool decided they'd won over 2 legs, and slackened right off, based on how there seemed to be a different celebration for the 5th goal - and Liverpool aren't a team who can slacken off.

Because they (now) won't turn up in Rome thinking it's already won I reckon they'll be fine. Fingers crossed.

39 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Did you know, for example, that Liverpool have the Prem's best defensive record from corners* counting from the match after the loss to Spurs at Wembley in October?

5ae047d4ba473_Screenshot(10).png.4a93f1ccd8789315a7087e0f316c30b2.png

Whats really mad is that Man City have only conceded twice from set pieces all season and not one from a pen. Man United excellent in open play!

Edited by jyoung

34 minutes ago, jyoung said:

5ae047d4ba473_Screenshot(10).png.4a93f1ccd8789315a7087e0f316c30b2.png

Whats really mad is that Man City have only conceded twice from set pieces all season and not one from a pen. Man United excellent in open play!

I presume that's the full season? I did say "since the match at Spurs".

It's a bit more interesting, cos the general perception is that Liverpool's defence got better with the arrival of VVD ... when in fact it appears to be the injury to Moneno and Robertson in his place that killed off the "they're shit defending corners".

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I presume that's the full season? I did say "since the match at Spurs".

It's a bit more interesting, cos the general perception is that Liverpool's defence got better with the arrival of VVD ... when in fact it appears to be the injury to Moneno and Robertson in his place that killed off the "they're shit defending corners".

I know! Just found it interesting reading so thought I'd share. Brighton have done exceptionally well from open play but set pieces have let them down massively. 

Yes, Moreno was pants and Robertson has come in and done a job. VVD has been good also.