Football 17/18

TheGayTent

24 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Ancelotti is probably most likely but I think Rafa would do a fantastic job at Arsenal.

Outside bet is probably Brendan Rodgers but I can't see that going down overly well with Arsenal fans.

Would not begrudge Rafa leaving if he isn't backed again this summer.

But do we really think he is suited to Arsenal? I don't think their fans would take well to him. He tends to contain and counter attack rather than play a possession game.

Edited by WS_Jack_III

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

Ancelotti is probably most likely but I think Rafa would do a fantastic job at Arsenal.

Outside bet is probably Brendan Rodgers but I can't see that going down overly well with Arsenal fans.

Can’t be long until Rodgers gets another crack in the English premier league. 

4 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I cant see him getting a job at one of the top 6 teams.  I don't think his time at Celtic has had a significant impact on his reputation.

I tend to agree with this.

The other side of the coin is he is one game against Motherwell from a double treble which would mean he’d won all 6 competitions he’s entered since coming up here. Don’t think he’d won anything before Celtic.

Seemed to do ok in champs league but yeah his time at Liverpool probably more relevant if we’re talking about the 2 London jobs. Playing absolutely nothing up here so hardly ever tested.

The rumours certainly started up here about him going to Arsenal and Steve Clark leaving Kilmarnock to replace him. Clark’s done a Brilliant job at Killie. Much to my annoyance !

15 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

I tend to agree with this.

The other side of the coin is he is one game against Motherwell from a double treble which would mean he’d won all 6 competitions he’s entered since coming up here. Don’t think he’d won anything before Celtic.

Seemed to do ok in champs league but yeah his time at Liverpool probably more relevant if we’re talking about the 2 London jobs. Playing absolutely nothing up here so hardly ever tested.

This sort of sums up why Rodgers is slightly hard done by. It was the right decision for him to go when he did, but the idea he was a failure at Liverpool isn’t quite fair. He was within inches (a slip?) of taking a Liverpool side, that had floated around 7th in previous seasons, to the title. 

2 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

This sort of sums up why Rodgers is slightly hard done by. It was the right decision for him to go when he did, but the idea he was a failure at Liverpool isn’t quite fair. He was within inches (a slip?) of taking a Liverpool side, that had floated around 7th in previous seasons, to the title. 

He wasn’t a failure, but not successful enough to get the Arsenal job in my view.

1 minute ago, strummer77 said:

I'm not sure how much was down to Rodgers though. If you'd of put Suarez in any of the other teams they'd have probably won the league. He was maradona at the 86' world cup good that year.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, lost said:

I'm not sure how much was down to Rodgers though. If you'd of put Suarez in any of the other teams they'd have probably won the league. He was maradona at the 86' world cup good that year.

Suarez was phenomenal that year but there was a number of games without him and the performances stayed at a similar level. The following year he lost Suarez and basically Sturridge, with Gerrard waning and Sterling sturggling as the main man. His real failing were in europe and in transfers, but he definitely deserves more credit for 13/14.

12 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

I don’t think he is / was a failure. If your Arsenal or whoever your not giving him the job on the strength of his 6 trophies in 2 years in Scotland was more my point. I like the way he plays the game and he has improved a number of players that were there before him.

I’ll go Rafa to Everton and Rodgers to Newcastle and both of them to be a relative success.

I suspect the only way is down for Arsenal. I mean mid table rather than relegation :-)

Marco Silva's stock seems to have plummeted since Everton tapped him up. We should probably take him to be fair after possibly ruining his career :P

I'd still go with Fonseca. I think Arsenal might be in for him now though. I'm also thinking Emery will be available if PSG get Tuchel?

Edited by lost

15 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Just seen the Wenger stuff on the Bbc news. Didn’t realise there had been a plane flown over the stadium flying a Wenger out banner. Seems harsh.

That was ages ago, wasn't it? 

The plane banner was pretty tame compared to some of the other things our fans did to get their voices heard.