Football 17/18

TheGayTent

I have respect for what Wenger won, how he changed the English game and how he managed the moving into the new stadium and subsequent tough years.

What I will say though, is from the outside it seems like they've become a comfortable football club. That will all change now no doubt. Could go one of two ways. Interested to see their next move, who they go for, how they run things and how the fans take to it all.

21 minutes ago, jyoung said:

That will all change now no doubt. Could go one of two ways. Interested to see their next move, who they go for, how they run things and how the fans take to it all.

I reckon they might have the best regarded managers queuing up, much more so than Chelsea will.

Utd have to get some respect for going off-piste in appointing Moyes, but Arsenal are a bit luckier as I don't think they have the same 'we'll try to repeat the last manager' pressures on them. It sort-of frees them up to take whatever decision they think is best to go forwards from now.

They must have someone lined up? Emery is off isn't he? Ancelotti? 

I would imagine they've been studying Utd post Fergie. And what not to do. 

he might not have the trophy haul of fergie, but his influence on the game in England could be considered about the same, I reckon.

He was the guy who changed it from beer and fags.

That was Fergie to be fair. But Wenger took it to new heights in terms of nutrition etc didn't he?

Edited by The Nal

Interesting to note how many managers have been sacked/left after Rafa's tricky mags beat them. Okay, Wenger has only announced he's leaving in a few months but:

Hughes sacked after NUFC beat Stoke 1-0.

Pellegrino was sacked after NUFC beat Southampton them 3-0.

Now Wenger has announced this after losing 2-1 at St James' Park.

Edit: We play Chelsea last game of the season too. I can't see Conte being there next season, so if nufc manage to win you could technically add Conte to that list.

Edited by WS_Jack_III

17 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I reckon they might have the best regarded managers queuing up, much more so than Chelsea will.

I suppose for us its a bit been there, done that, got the tshirt. We've exhausted a lot of options. I read an article that proposed Roman may be about to change his tactics and go for someone who is less of a 'name' already and look to build rather than boom or bust. I think that's unlikely but we'll say. I actually don't think Arsenal and Chelsea will be in competition for a new manager as they will both probably be looking to go in different directions.

9 minutes ago, The Nal said:

That was Fergie to be fair. But Wenger took it to new heights in terms of nutrition etc didn't he?

It was more just professionalism in general - of which nutrution was a factor but not any more heavily introduced that was generally happening at clubs around the country. I remember reading a story about how he 'advised' the team that pasta and veg was a better pre match meal for them.. but didnt enforce it. Nige winturburn insisted poached egg on toast was what he would eat and that wasnt changing

3 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

I'll throw the "Careful what you wish for" line out there, god knows Newcastle fans get told it enough. 

Having said that it does seem the time is right and maybe has been for a few seasons.

I'd accept getting worse before we get better. We were not going to improve under Wenger but there is a chance we will with someone else at the helm.

Regardless, nothing but respect for the man. He's a legend but he just hung on too long.

I would like to see us go for an experienced manager first. Someone like Ancelotti or even Rafa. Let them rebuild for a couple of years and then get in a longer term manager after that.

I don't think this situation is very similar to Fergie leaving United as the margin for error was much smaller for United. Whoever comes in to replace Wenger will not be expected to instantly win titles whereas Fergie's replacement was.

Edited by CRW5252