Football 17/18

TheGayTent

1 hour ago, TheGayTent said:

If Shaqiri was called Andy Reid, many would rightly be suggesting the championship was where he belonged. 

If Andy Reid was an ex wonderkid who already had 68 caps for his country at 26, not many would suggest the championship is where he belonged. 

Stop making out that your prejudice against foreign players is something the majority possess.  

Edited by CRW5252

11 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Your understanding of the word is as misplaced as Alanis’

I'm using it in the context that you are treating Shaqiri without the respect he deserves. Perhaps due to a prejudice. 

Do you seriously think that foreign players are positively discriminated against due to their names?  

14 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

I took it more that he was using Andy Reid as a generic British name rather than the football player himself. If it is the latter then the comment is even more ridiculous.

I was using Andy Reid’s name because he was a very similar player to Shaqiri - in size, stature, ability, and work ethic. Both flattered to deceive and both players careers fizzled out into mediocrity.

5 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

I'm using it in the context that you are treating Shaqiri without the respect he deserves. Perhaps due to a prejudice. 

There was no perhaps about it. You stated as fact I was prejudice against ‘foreign’ players with zero justification. Pretty off in my book. 

4 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Do you seriously think that foreign players are positively discriminated against due to their names?  

No doubt that happens. Say there are two unheard of players. Both joined a club, both shit in their first game. Who gets the benefit of the doubt between "Roberto Di Barolo" and "Clive O'Flynn".

My guess is the fans will be asking for poor Clive to be dropped. 

Much like fans will be asking for Bobby Di Barolo to be dropped if it were in Italy.

10 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

I was using Andy Reid’s name because he was a very similar player to Shaqiri - in size, stature, ability, and work ethic. Both flattered to deceive and both players careers fizzled out into mediocrity.

So what was your point? Are you suggesting Andy Reid got dropped quicker because of the fact he has not got a foreign sounding name? 

7 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

There was no perhaps about it. You stated as fact I was prejudice against ‘foreign’ players with zero justification. Pretty off in my book. 

I am unsure on your point now. How I originally interpreted your point, it was clear to me there was prejudice. 

2 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

So what was your point? Are you suggesting Andy Reid got dropped quicker because of the fact he has not got a foreign sounding name? 

2 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

I am unsure on your point now. How I originally interpreted your point, it was clear to me there was prejudice. 

Yes, it’s quite clear you misunderstood. Perhaps the time to request clarification was before you went around throwing accusations about. 

10 minutes ago, The Nal said:

No doubt that happens. Say there are two unheard of players. Both joined a club, both shit in their first game. Who gets the benefit of the doubt between "Roberto Di Barolo" and "Clive O'Flynn".

My guess is the fans will be asking for poor Clive to be dropped. 

Much like fans will be asking for Bobby Di Barolo to be dropped if it were in Italy.

I'm not convinced.

Is there any real examples of this? 

5 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Yes, it’s quite clear you misunderstood. Perhaps the time to request clarification was before you went around throwing accusations about. 

Chill, it's not a big deal that some guy on the internet said something about you.

Prove me wrong and clarify what you meant and you can continue your non-discriminatory life.

7 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I see Shaqiri as a player who would work best in MLS or China. Score a few wonder goals and pick up loads of money for little work. At a top premiership side he isnt good enough, at a team lower down he doesnt do enough work to merit the occasional flashes of brilliance.

His work rate isn't terrible compared to a lot of attacking players. I think Stoke bought him to be a star player to play higher quality football, but never really built on that. Can imagine him fitting in at a Leicester or an Everton (assuming Big Sam doesn't stay) where he could possibly progress.

Edited by Dan R

6 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

I'm not convinced.

Is there any real examples of this? 

Loads. Anthony Le Tallec, Federico Macheda, Alberto Aquilani....

Happens in all sport. Some random Kiwi in rugby comes to Europe to play and he gets preferential treatment. Initially anyway. 

8 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Happens in all sport. Some random Kiwi in rugby comes to Europe to play and he gets preferential treatment. Initially anyway. 

Is that not just normally because people give a bit more leeway cos someone is adjusting to a new life/culture/league? 

18 minutes ago, The Nal said:

You have just named a few foreign players who struggled to live up to the hype rather than show they had preferential treatment over British players.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Shaqiri has been in the PL for three seasons now. Other than a world class goal at Everton what else has he contributed? His impact on the league has been pretty minimal.

The finest legs known to man.