Football 17/18

TheGayTent

12 hours ago, The Nal said:

He'll start moaning about signings and he will be sacked at some stage. He was sacked by Liverpool, sacked by Inter, sacked by Chelsea, sacked by Madrid. 

In fairness he was ‘sacked’ by Liverpool really because his position became toxic after he took on he owners who were strangling the club. He made some errors but the whole club was in dire straights  

Don’t think he was sacked by Chelsea either. Was always the ‘interim one’ at and he won the Europa League. 

He has his flaws and isn’t the manager he was 2000-2008ish (when he was one of the best in the world), but he’s a good manager and has won a good haul of trophies. 

Think he’s only just recovering really from the end of his time with Liverpool. That really wore him down.

8 hours ago, mjsell said:

10k lower average attendance wont make that much an impact to the club's turnover. 

But it may impact profitability, which is a lot more important. That extra 10K and the money they bring in is the sort of cream that clubs crave to make nice profit, as the cost base for hosting 40K or 50K is effectively the same. Lose those in attendance and you could effectively be wiping away pure bottom line profit. 

7 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

They have needed that since about 2008!

since the 70s.

It's not like Hall & Oates Shepard weren't milking the club for every penny they could squeeze, and using dodgy-as-fuck methods to do it.

Ashley might be a greedy tax-avoiding scumbag, but he's just one of a long line of Newc owners who've been that ... and actually, i get the impression that Ashley probably isn't running scams against the club, which is why he wants out. Unlike Hall & Shepard he certainly doesn't seem to be making money from it.

Edited by eFestivals

34 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

since the 70s.

It's not like Hall & Oates Shepard weren't milking the club for every penny they could squeeze, and using dodgy-as-fuck methods to do it.

Ashley might be a greedy tax-avoiding scumbag, but he's just one of a long line of Newc owners who've been that ... and actually, i get the impression that Ashley probably isn't running scams against the club, which is why he wants out. Unlike Hall & Shepard he certainly doesn't seem to be making money from it.

Hall took the piss like, Family members all receiving wages from the club for nothing.

17 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Fuck’s sake Albion, where was that pride and commitment ten games ago?? 

Ah, the classic British solution. "Pride and commitment" can win you anything. 

It's bollocks, West Brom lacked ability and decent manager throughout the season. No amount of "pride and commitment" could have saved them. 

25 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

It's bollocks, West Brom lacked ability and decent manager throughout the season. No amount of "pride and commitment" could have saved them. 

Not so sure about this. Seen enough teams down tools over the years and managers “ lose “ dressing rooms to make me think you need a bit of the pride and commitment.

Obviously you’ll need the ability and a decent manager to go along with them.

1 hour ago, CRW5252 said:

No but they’re two elements that have been sorely lacking from our performances this season. Yes we’ve been technically and tactically terrible but yesterday was the first time in ages I’ve seen our players actually look like they gave a shit.

I don’t buy the “ability” line, I don’t think that man for man we are much worse than the likes of Swansea, Brighton or even Burnley. The key difference is management, we weren’t even in the bottom three when Pulis was rightly canned. The situation was completely salvageable - just look at the jobs done by Carvahal, Hodgson and even Moyes to see the difference a competent manager can make to a squad. Pardew was an absolute disaster, inept tactically and completely lost the players - see Barcelona as an example. We lost 9 games in a row which has completely shafted us, during which PL winners and international footballers couldn’t look like they cared less. Think it’s a coincidence that we’ve taken four from two since he left?

3 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Not so sure about this. Seen enough teams down tools over the years and managers “ lose “ dressing rooms to make me think you need a bit of the pride and commitment.

Obviously you’ll need the ability and a decent manager to go along with them.

Is that due to a lack of pride and commitment or due to a lack of confidence (in both the manager and themselves)? 

Commitment can certainly be lacking in teams who have lost confidence in their manager but that is a direct consequence of the manager struggling. Therefore asking questions like "where was that pride and commitment 10 games ago" is silly. As we already know the answer. It wasn't there due to a lack of belief in the manager.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

No but they’re two elements that have been sorely lacking from our performances this season. Yes we’ve been technically and tactically terrible but yesterday was the first time in ages I’ve seen our players actually look like they gave a shit.

I don’t buy the “ability” line, I don’t think that man for man we are much worse than the likes of Swansea, Brighton or even Burnley. The key difference is management, we weren’t even in the bottom three when Pulis was rightly canned. The situation was completely salvageable - just look at the jobs done by Carvahal, Hodgson and even Moyes to see the difference a competent manager can make to a squad. Pardew was an absolute disaster, inept tactically and completely lost the players - see Barcelona as an example. We lost 9 games in a row which has completely shafted us, during which PL winners and international footballers couldn’t look like they cared less. Think it’s a coincidence that we’ve taken four from two since he left?

I'm sure the majority of them still gave a shit. They just didn't have belief in the manager to turn things around. This meant that anything the manager tried to implement was not fully embraced. A new manager has came in and his ideas are now being embraced with enthusiasm hence why results have improved. 

Regarding the ability thing, West Brom have one of the weaker squads in the division. This combined with a dodgy manager is what caused them struggle.

The reason I think this is typical 'british mentality' is you see it all the time with the national teams. When England lose, what is the first thing that is questioned? Commitment. It's lazy and simplifies football hugely.

The best managers in the world, especially modern day, are the ones who ensure everyone buys into their philosophy. This may bring about more commitment and pride from the players but only as a result of their ability as a manager, rather than being the key reason to their success.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I think when it comes to a team like WBA the grim relegation reaper will get you eventually, both them and Stoke are lucky to have lasted as long as they have. The likes of Bournemouth, Brighton and Huddersfield will eventually follow even if the players are giving their all.

Can’t argue with that. Every team outside the top six/seven has their time eventually.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Saddens me though that we’ve been in the PL eight consecutive years and in that time have contributed the square root of fuck all. Our relegation will be met by a shrug from most fans.

Not great to be a baggie with Wolves very much on the up as a club.

On 14/04/2018 at 6:16 PM, chemica said:

Feel that you've hit the nail on the head here. Some top quality players going down though, that'll never play a second in the championship. (See: Shaqiri, Butland, Allen, Evans, Tadic, Redmond etc etc)

If Shaqiri was called Andy Reid, many would rightly be suggesting the championship was where he belonged. 

7 hours ago, thetime said:

Not great to be a baggie with Wolves very much on the up as a club.

It’s all cyclical, I pissed myself laughing when Wolves and Villa went down. Now they’re on the rise and we have to take our medicine. Few years from now things will change again and hopefully we’ll be laughing again.