Football 17/18

TheGayTent

5 minutes ago, thetime said:

There’s a big difference in wanting more and deluded isn’t there? You got your Arsenal’s and united’s of the world who have been there and done it and are big clubs, want them levels again. 

Newcastle fans generally think they are this massive club, nothing to back it up. I actually can’t think of any other club who has that arrogance and delusion like Newcastle. Can you think of one? 

What constitutes a massive club?

2 minutes ago, thetime said:

There’s a big difference in wanting more and deluded isn’t there? You got your Arsenal’s and united’s of the world who have been there and done it and are big clubs, want them levels again. 

Newcastle fans generally think they are this massive club, nothing to back it up. I actually can’t think of any other club who has that arrogance and delusion like Newcastle. Can you think of one? 

No club has a divine right to win anything.

Being a Newcastle fan, I don't think our fan base is arrogant or delusional. There's some but you find them in any fan base. Do you think the vast majority of our fans think Newcastle should be winning honours currently? nope. Do most of them think the club should be doing better than 2 top 10 finishes in the last 11 years, yep!

36 minutes ago, thetime said:

Arsenal fans? 

Find City fans most strange, got a wonderful side and they still struggle to sell out tickets. Can you image Newcastle struggling to sell tickets if they had a wonderful side like City playing at your place? Don’t think so.

I don't get people going on about other clubs attendances. It's no different at our level with many wrexham fans going on about tinpot clubs. My view is all clubs have their fair share of dedicated and fairweather fans. The only difference is the numbers.

The city/Newcastle comparison is silly. Newcastle don't have one of the biggest clubs in the world on the doorstep.

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

The city/Newcastle comparison is silly. Newcastle don't have one of the biggest clubs in the world on the doorstep.

I can’t see that being a good argument, united fans don’t live in Manchester do they? 

9 minutes ago, thetime said:

I can’t see that being a good argument, united fans don’t live in Manchester do they? 

It's a pretty even split in Manchester regarding club loyalties. Where I live is full of rags, but that is to be expected considering I come from the same little town United originated from.

45 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Stones is 4th choice centre back for City. Otamendi has been the best CB for City this year and a fit Kompany gets in the 1st 11 for any team in the country.

I like Firmino,  he is a top player. Yet Silva is the best player in the country. Not a cat in hells chance he would not get into Liverpools team. I would have Firmino before Jesus and if you had put Firmino up front instead of Sergio, then although I would have disagreed, I could kind of understand as you are a Scouser. Putting Firmino in front of David Silva though is utterly ridiculous.

I don't rate Ottamendi, although to be fair I've only seen him played out of position as I don't regularly watch City. Laporte hasn't been there long enough to make a judgement for me, Kompany fully fit is brilliant but Van Dijk has age on his side. Stones is till better than any of Liverpool's other centre backs though. Silva was a major oversight, I'll give you that, would have loved him at Anfield when Benitez wanted him. 

Stats wise though (this season) is there much between him and Firmino? Genuine question.

47 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Stones is 4th choice centre back for City. Otamendi has been the best CB for City this year and a fit Kompany gets in the 1st 11 for any team in the country.

I like Firmino,  he is a top player. Yet Silva is the best player in the country. Not a cat in hells chance he would not get into Liverpools team. I would have Firmino before Jesus and if you had put Firmino up front instead of Sergio, then although I would have disagreed, I could kind of understand as you are a Scouser. Putting Firmino in front of David Silva though is utterly ridiculous.

Double post - sorry!

Edited by vintagelaureate

1 minute ago, vintagelaureate said:

I don't rate Ottamendi, although to be fair I've only seen him played out of position as I don't regularly watch City. Laporte hasn't been there long enough to make a judgement for me, Kompany fully fit is brilliant but Van Dijk has age on his side. Stones is till better than any of Liverpool's other centre backs though. Silva was a major oversight, I'll give you that, would have loved him at Anfield when Benitez wanted him. 

Stats wise though (this season) is there much between him and Firmino? Genuine question.

Firmino plays upfront, Silva plays midfield. City have won every single match in the league this season that Silva has played in. Silva controls and dictates football matches, Firmino doesn't. 

Silva is different class. Firmino should have better stats as he plays further forward. As footballers though there is no comparison. Silva for me is better than KDB and is City's best and most consisent player.

44 minutes ago, thetime said:

Tottenham fans are far far worse. 

2 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Firmino plays upfront, Silva plays midfield. City have won every single match in the league this season that Silva has played in. Silva controls and dictates football matches, Firmino doesn't. 

Silva is different class. Firmino should have better stats as he plays further forward. As footballers though there is no comparison. Silva for me is better than KDB and is City's best and most consisent player.

Firmino doesn't dictate play but does set the tone for Liverpool, but I agree Silva is the 'better' footballer. As you said they play different positions (although Firmino was a midfielder) and it's my fault for shoehorning him into that position but I forgot about Silva. TBF to Firmino his movement and pressing is the reason Salah et al have had so much space this season and he isn't your typical forward player. There are several better goal scorers in the league but they wouldn't fit in Liverpool's style of play. If that makes sense!?

City have a wealth of attacking talent... Sterling has been one of the players of the season too. Wednesday should be interesting!

4 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

Firmino doesn't dictate play but does set the tone for Liverpool, but I agree Silva is the 'better' footballer. As you said they play different positions (although Firmino was a midfielder) and it's my fault for shoehorning him into that position but I forgot about Silva. TBF to Firmino his movement and pressing is the reason Salah et al have had so much space this season and he isn't your typical forward player. There are several better goal scorers in the league but they wouldn't fit in Liverpool's style of play. If that makes sense!?

City have a wealth of attacking talent... Sterling has been one of the players of the season too. Wednesday should be interesting!

Sterling has been class. Salah has been unreal though.

With Silva and Kompany being fit, I think City will have too much for Liverpool over 2 legs.

Our record at Anfield is abysmal. Yet I honestly can't see City having such a horrific 10 minute spell again at Anfield.

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

Sterling has been class. Salah has been unreal though.

With Silva and Kompany being fit, I think City will have too much for Liverpool over 2 legs.

Our record at Anfield is abysmal. Yet I honestly can't see City having such a horrific 10 minute spell again at Anfield.

No I can't, I also can't see us keeping a clean sheet this week. The tension in the ground at that free kick in the last seconds of the league was huge... typical Liverpool. Hopefully Van Dijk will settle the backline if we get a lead. If the second leg had been at Anfield I would have fancied us a little more. Kompany always seems to have an off game at Anfield so fingers crossed (for me) :D

2 hours ago, thetime said:

When I was in university Man Utd had a big student following. They also have a big pull to surrounding areas. If I was a fan I would much rather be high up in a football league than the attendance one.

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

they seem to have a very good team spirit.

Agreed, but I don’t really see the club sustaining at the current level. I’m assuming Poch has ambition and wants to win things. If he leaves the team spirit could soon fall. If it’s another season without a trophy will the players continue to take (relatively) less money. If spurs players have good world cups the vultures will be circling.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Sturridge was a gamble, we knew all about his injury record but thought he was good enough to take the risk on him. It hasn’t worked.

I thought it was a mad gamble, especially with your teams lack of goals. I could possibly understand the gamble if bringing 2 new forwards, but to throw all your chips in with a forward with such a high probability of injury was madness.

The deal was a great one for Liverpool who seemingly took on only the rewards and non of the risk. I would only have considered him on a (relatively) low fee/wage but high bonus for achieving safety.

21 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I thought it was a mad gamble, especially with your teams lack of goals. I could possibly understand the gamble if bringing 2 new forwards, but to throw all your chips in with a forward with such a high probability of injury was madness.

The deal was a great one for Liverpool who seemingly took on only the rewards and non of the risk. I would only have considered him on a (relatively) low fee/wage but high bonus for achieving safety.

He’s only on loan isn’t he? Can’t imagine West Brom paying all his wages.

On the City/Liverpool team debate - I don't rate current day Kompany anymore. Although when I say 'I don't rate', I mean not at the highest of levels like he used to be - he still gets into the majority of Prem teams.

He is still perceived through his past abilities and his current day flaws are brushed over because he is always 'getting back up to speed after injury'. He commits himself far, far too often, and is way too reliant on an Otamendi type figure to provide support he shouldnt need to. (Agree with whoever said that Otamendi has been City's best CB this season).

I'd sack off Fernandinho from the joint teams and go all out attacking players. Its a made up team - so I'll make it so that goals happen thank you very much.

http://team-picker.files.bbci.co.uk/liverpool_mancity_xi-87e059a8be654cd9540d454cd82737e9.html