Football 17/18

TheGayTent

A warning for Holgate seems a sensible decision to me. I feel uncomfortable punishing people too severely for comments made as an idiotic teenager having been an idiotic teenager myself. I personally don't feel it should have merited an investigation. Ialso feel it was a bit underhand Liverpool fans trawling through his Twitter just to get dirt. Although for the sake of balance I'm sure there are sad fans at other clubs who would have done the same.

Lesson to up and coming footballers. Don't use social media or get someone else to do it for you and make it as dull as possible.

Not a great start for McLeish last night. Good to see 5 new starts but Costa Rica way more comfortable on the ball. Forgot they had the Madrid keeper.

Robertson our top man again but little to cheer on or off the park. In the q 15 mins before KO in a half empty stadium and missed the first 10mins. They were actually opening extra turnstiles after the game had started.

Away to Hungary next week then over to play Peru and Mexico. God knows who arranged these 4 fixtures. No chance of McLeish getting much of a new manager bounce.

10 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

A warning for Holgate seems a sensible decision to me. I feel uncomfortable punishing people too severely for comments made as an idiotic teenager having been an idiotic teenager myself. I personally don't feel it should have merited an investigation. Ialso feel it was a bit underhand Liverpool fans trawling through his Twitter just to get dirt. Although for the sake of balance I'm sure there are sad fans at other clubs who would have done the same.

Lesson to up and coming footballers. Don't use social media or get someone else to do it for you and make it as dull as possible.

What about the seldom necessary but bears repeating rule “don’t push fellow pros into the stand”.

Tuchel to Arsenal looking more and more likely. Can't say I'm unhappy. Will be interesting to see how the situation with Sven Mislintat sorts itself out though.

Would be lovely if Arsene could win Europa as a parting gift. If Tuchel is announced before the end of the season Arsene will get the highest level of support for the remainder of the year since he last won the league (which as a statement is crazy).

Edit: Just read that it might not be Arsenal for Tuchel, so definitely not a done deal.

Edited by mjsell

1 hour ago, mjsell said:

Tuchel to Arsenal looking more and more likely. Can't say I'm unhappy. Will be interesting to see how the situation with Sven Mislintat sorts itself out though.

Would be lovely if Arsene could win Europa as a parting gift. If Tuchel is announced before the end of the season Arsene will get the highest level of support for the remainder of the year since he last won the league (which as a statement is crazy).

Edit: Just read that it might not be Arsenal for Tuchel, so definitely not a done deal.

Sounds interesting. The most reliable source in Germany (Kicker) came out and outright stated that he's definitely going to Arsenal and then straight afterwards other reliable sources came out saying he isn't (with one saying PSG are his favourites for Tuchel's next club). Article is still up on Kicker's website and from what I've read they're not the type to hang their hat on something and risk their reputation unless they're sure.

I think it's as good as Arsenal could hope for tbh outside of maybe Jardim, and obviously it'll be good to have a change from Wenger if it does happen.

Despite that, I'm still not sure I see it happening and can't picture anything other than Wenger still being in charge next season. Would be nice for Tuchel to go to Arsenal and Wenger to go to PSG and win the CL with them. Just read they've opened talks with Conte.

12 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Sounds interesting. The most reliable source in Germany (Kicker) came out and outright stated that he's definitely going to Arsenal and then straight afterwards other reliable sources came out saying he isn't (with one saying PSG are his favourites for Tuchel's next club). 

Think PSG might be after Antonio Conte? Interestingly, Italy have announced the date of which they plan to announce their new manager. Some time in May when the season is over.

Edited by jyoung

9 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Think PSG might be after Antonio Conte? Interestingly, Italy have announced the date of which they plan to announce their new manager. Some time in May when the season is over.

Yep, mentioned in my last paragraph that they've supposedly opened talks with him. I had assumed he'd go back to Italy initially.

6 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yep, mentioned in my last paragraph that they've supposedly opened talks with him. I had assumed he'd go back to Italy initially.

Yeah, I thought the same. I imagined Milan might tempt him back to Italy be a part of their $$$$$ project but it doesn't look to be the case. Could be a bit of a managerial merry go round this summer.

9 hours ago, jyoung said:

Yeah, I thought the same. I imagined Milan might tempt him back to Italy be a part of their $$$$$ project but it doesn't look to be the case. Could be a bit of a managerial merry go round this summer.

Hasnt the owner of Milan just been declared bankrupt?

I seem to remember seeing something like that last week

55 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

You think you will hold on to Rafa? Would he consider the Everton job?

Depends on ownership. I don't think he'd consider Everton because of the Liverpool connection, but we'll see.

If he goes into the window thinking we'll spend nothing it's hard to see him staying, but where else would he want to go?

15 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

You think you will hold on to Rafa? Would he consider the Everton job?

Never going to happen. The fume fron Everton fans when Sammy Lee was appointed was bad enough, they'd go nuts at Rafa.

54 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Never going to happen. The fume fron Everton fans when Sammy Lee was appointed was bad enough, they'd go nuts at Rafa.

I think most were pissed off at fat sam didn't really read much backlash against Lee. If a teams winning I don't think anyone really cares.

Most rumours seem to point to Fonseca unless Abramovich, Usmanov and Moshiri start getting their assets frozen by the government then it will probably be Tony Pulis

Hollywood stuff from Ibra. First ever LA derby, scored a worldie for his debut goal to make it 3-3 and then scored the winner in injury time.

Miss him already.

He'll get a ton in that league. The quality is still  probably equivalent to division 1 over here.

Edited by lost

28 minutes ago, lost said:

I think most were pissed off at fat sam didn't really read much backlash against Lee. If a teams winning I don't think anyone really cares.

Most rumours seem to point to Fonseca unless Abramovich, Usmanov and Moshiri start getting their assets frozen by the government then it will probably be Tony Pulis

I didn't read much but I heard pleanty from the Blues in work.

It now mainly consists of "Alardyce can do one, and take that little, red nosed gobshite with him". The hours in work fly by.