Football 17/18

TheGayTent

13 hours ago, thetime said:

you got to hand it to Liverpool they know how to find, develop and sell on for huge profit. Although that must start to grate with Liverpool fans as it stops there development in winning trophies. 

sooner or later they'll hit the top and get to keep players.

Whether that's imminent I've no idea, but it might be.

David Silva and Kompany back will see City spank Liverpool over 2 legs.

Poeple keep harping back to Mane sending off. Just to remind you that City were already winning by that point. As for the Anfield game. City will not have a 10 minute spell like that where they shot themselves in the foot.

Best draw possible for City. Liverpool are the 3rd worse team left and no travelling. No weeks rest for the Scousers before this game.

Edited by eastynh

7 minutes ago, eastynh said:

David Silva and Kompany back will see City spank Liverpool over 2 legs.

Poeple keep harping back to Mane sending off. Just to remind you that City were already winning by that point. As for the Anfield game. City will not have a 10 minute spell like that where they shot themselves in the foot.

Best draw possible for City. Liverpool are the 3rd worse team left and no travelling. No weeks rest for the Scousers before this game.

reckon you're right about City winning, and I defo agree with you that Liverpool would have lost the game anyway where Mane was sent off.

But i'd also say Liverpool are a better team now than they've been all season, and it's not impossible they'll win over 2 legs - but it'll depend on which versions of both teams turn up on the relevant days.

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

Ha, should have seen that coming!

It's the game when if we hadn't scored that goal we'd have had a penalty and Cech would have been sent off ;) 

I trust Willy Gallas!!! We had some great competition clashes during that era.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

reckon you're right about City winning, and I defo agree with you that Liverpool would have lost the game anyway where Mane was sent off.

But i'd also say Liverpool are a better team now than they've been all season, and it's not impossible they'll win over 2 legs - but it'll depend on which versions of both teams turn up on the relevant days.

City have everyone fit now. I keep hearing about Citys record at Anfield. Yes it is abysmal but I would take 4-3 now (even though I expect to win there. There are 21 points between us for a reason).

Keep seeing the 4-3 mentioned on tv as some kind of pointer as to why the Scousers will win. I look at the 2 previous times City have been competing for honours against the scousers. The scousers bottled it twice while City took home the silverware.

Edited by eastynh

3 minutes ago, eastynh said:

There are 21 points between us for a reason

yup, city are definitely the better team against all other teams, but that doesn't necessarily apply against just-one team - and particularly when it's a team that have already edged them.

Like I say, I expect city to win, but it's two one-off games (sort of), and there's always the chance things will run against city in some way or other, and without it just being 'luck'. Liverpool might (do!) have their faults but they're far from a shabby team.

On 3/18/2018 at 4:23 PM, Wooderson said:

Salah has had a better season than anyone at Manchester City.

No disagreement from the usual partisan blerts? For all our faults, few teams recruit as well as LFC up front. Holding onto these guys needs more focus, clearly.

11 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

No disagreement from the usual partisan blerts? For all our faults, few teams recruit as well as LFC up front. Holding onto these guys needs more focus, clearly.

A month or so ago I asked the question here of KDB or Salah for player of the year and the response was pretty unanimously in favour of De Bruyne.

But since then De Bruyne hasnt quite put in the performaces he had been up until then. He's still the biggest reason why City are however many points clear though, so he's still firmly in the race with Salah for me.

8 hours ago, mjsell said:

A month or so ago I asked the question here of KDB or Salah for player of the year and the response was pretty unanimously in favour of De Bruyne.

But since then De Bruyne hasnt quite put in the performaces he had been up until then. He's still the biggest reason why City are however many points clear though, so he's still firmly in the race with Salah for me.

Player of the year is all about timing isn’t it? 

Salah and KDB get the attention, Silva for me is the player of the season. 

Edited by thetime

15 minutes ago, thetime said:

Player of the year is all about timing isn’t it? 

Salah and KDB get the attention, Silva for me is the player of the season. 

one plus in Salah's favour (tho doesn't apply directly against the possibles you name) is that he doesn't dive - which is exceedingly refreshing compared to just about everyone else who ever gets in the box..

It's also worth noting that just one of his goals is from a penalty - which hasn't been the case with others who've scored the same high numbers.

PS: no biting, either. :P

Edited by eFestivals

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

one plus in Salah's favour (tho doesn't apply directly against the possibles you name) is that he doesn't dive - which is exceedingly refreshing compared to just about everyone else who ever gets in the box..

It's also worth noting that just one of his goals is from a penalty - which hasn't been the case with others who've scored the same high numbers.

He hasnt had ANY bookings this season so far either. reliable to not lose his head!

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I would say Salah will get player of the year, like I said timing when the votes are done is key. It’s usually the players who gets the goals/attention that gets these awards. 

silva has been out of this world this season, fantastic footballer.

22 minutes ago, thetime said:

I would say Salah will get player of the year, like I said timing when the votes are done is key. It’s usually the players who gets the goals/attention that gets these awards. 

silva has been out of this world this season, fantastic footballer.

Silva has been phenomenal, but he seems to have gone under the radar for his entire premier league career and I can't see that changing this year. Being part of a team full of so many individual talents seems to make him stand out less.

Edited by Dan R

The player of the year is a difficult one this season. Have the votes not already been taken though for the pfa award?

For the record I think David Silva has been the best player in the league this year. He has not lost a single match and been the key man. He has somehow managed to maintain his level of performance in spite of extremely difficult off field circumstances.

As for KDB and Salah, both have been out standing. It could come down to a shootout between the 2 during the cl semi finals. Which ever player steps up and provides a match winning performance in the biggest of games, would Imo deserve the accolade.

Salah's figures and performances have been fantastic. Yet KDB has gone to Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge and the Emirates, while turning in MOTM and winning performances. Am yet to see that with Salah. If Salah pulls off match winning performances in the up coming matches, then there could not really be any argument against him getting the award. At present though, I think KDB is edging it because of the gravitas of his performances. 

21 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Agreed Easty. KDB has put in shifts against teams when he really needed to. Isn’t there a stat that you’d be 5th without him?

Yeah. Although stats like that are misleading as you're stripping 20 points away from City when in reality they would just have someone else doing his role/others chipping in and scoring etc. Not as well of course but still. 

Jordan Ibe isn't better than David Silva. 

premier-league-top-10-points-earners.jpg

Premier League top six, without Kevin De Bruyne

1. Man United - 56 pts
2. Liverpool - 54
3. Chelsea  - 53
4. MAN CITY - 52
5. Tottenham - 52
6. Arsenal - 45

Edited by The Nal