Football 17/18

TheGayTent

8 hours ago, mjsell said:

8 teams from 8 different nations left in the EL. 1 each from the top 7 European leagues and 1 from Austria (cracking result by Salzburg)

This Europa league malarkey is quite fun. 

Hoping for a Red Bull derby in the next round 

Yeah...I agree.

It`s caught my interest a bit more this year. Hadn`t realised about the 8 teams all being from different Countries thing.

It`s still a bit bonkers that we could have ( in theory ) 4 teams from one Country in the "Champions " League semis but money talks sadly and I prefer the Tuesday and Wednesday night games so I`m part of the problem :lol:

1 minute ago, jyoung said:

Hate the Europa League. Would rather finish 6th than 5th if we're gonna miss out on CL.

I remember someone a while back ( maybe Bolton ) qualifying for the Europa and then sending what was basically a reserve team. Plenty teams play weakened sides now so your point is obviously valid but I wouldn`t be happy with that. If we ever qualify for Europe ( we wont ) I would walk to the away game if I had to.

It`s a crazy mad world when finishing 4th bottom of a league is deemed more important than taking your club and fans to play a European tie.

1 minute ago, Comfy Bean said:

I remember someone a while back ( maybe Bolton ) qualifying for the Europa and then sending what was basically a reserve team. Plenty teams play weakened sides now so your point is obviously valid but I wouldn`t be happy with that. If we ever qualify for Europe ( we wont ) I would walk to the away game if I had to.

It`s a crazy mad world when finishing 4th bottom of a league is deemed more important than taking your club and fans to play a European tie.

I don't think we're better than it or anything, I've just seen it fuck up clubs seasons year after year. It's so hard to compete in the league when you're playing on a Thursday night in Ukraine. It was cool when we won it a few years ago. Another one in the trophy cabinet etc. Of course if we were in it, I'd take it seriously and want to win but I wouldn't be disappointed if we weren't in it. I know what you mean though. Obviously a lot of fans would love the chance.

9 hours ago, mjsell said:

8 teams from 8 different nations left in the EL. 1 each from the top 7 European leagues and 1 from Austria (cracking result by Salzburg)

This Europa league malarkey is quite fun. 

Hoping for a Red Bull derby in the next round 

Much more interesting than last year. Quality is much higher. Still think Atletico will walk it, mind.

57 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Hate the Europa League. Would rather finish 6th than 5th if we're gonna miss out on CL.

5th and 6th will both qualify for Europa as things stand. If one if United, Chelsea or Spurs win the FA Cup then 7th will qualify, too. No way you're avoiding it unless you get top 4.

Arsenal vs Moscow in europa

Tricky away leg to say the least

Fun fact: the last time Arsenal played CSKA Moscow in London, the match was attended by Andrei Lugovoi. Who earlier that day, had met Alexander Litvinenko and allegedly slipped polonium in his tea. Traces of polonium were later found at the stadium during the investigation

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Struggling to see a worse draw for Libpool. Not even the pleasure of being hockeyed away at Barca!

Aye, dreadful. I think we had a chance against any of the others, apart from Barca (natch), but no hope of beating City over two legs. We'll go Hell for leather at home and it will all be over after 10 minutes when they hit us twice on the break.

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Aye, dreadful. I think we had a chance against any of the others, apart from Barca (natch), but no hope of beating City over two legs. We'll go Hell for leather at home and it will all be over after 10 minutes when they hit us twice on the break.

The two derbies gonna take a back seat that week.

4 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

WTF is he like? I can not fathom what the hell he is thinking saying this sort of stuff. He must want the boot. The guy is utterly, truely nuts

Look he hasnt been given enough money to compete with Man citys heritage and needs another 300 million:-)

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

ha ha ha ha

Jose is trying to get sacked isnt he? Cant imagine this going down well with the Man Utd fans.

As misguided as his comments were after the match if you watch that whole press conference above (which you don't get from skim reading twitter) he makes sense. "Heritage" perhaps lost in translation a bit but Utd fans happier with his words today. 

Edited by The Nal

Saw that draw coming a mile off, always gonna happen. I'm still refusing to believe the UEFA draws aren't completely fixed, mind.

As for the draw - Man City are clearly favourites but there is no reason to think we don't have a chance. It reminds me a bit of when we drew Chelsea in 2005. They were runaway leaders in the league and clearly much better than us but when it comes to European games anything can happen. Keeping a clean sheet at Anfield is a must but admittedly quite unlikely.

Heart - Liverpool (on away goals)
Head - Man City (by about a 3 goal margin)

I think if the second leg was at Anfield, Liverpool would do it for sure. I think they might throw a suprise though - the Mane sending off changed the league game. Trouble will be is even if they lose City will score at Anfield making second leg even harder...

5 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

I'm still refusing to believe the UEFA draws aren't completely fixed, mind.

I still refuse to believe European games aren't completely fixed to ensure the right teams make it a certain distance in competitions.

13 hours ago, zahidf said:

Fun fact: the last time Arsenal played CSKA Moscow in London, the match was attended by Andrei Lugovoi. Who earlier that day, had met Alexander Litvinenko and allegedly slipped polonium in his tea. Traces of polonium were later found at the stadium during the investigation

More of a fun fact:

"CSKA are one of only five teams Arsene Wenger has faced more than once as Arsenal boss and failed to win against. Fiorentina, PAOK Salonika, Paris St-Germain and Port Vale are the others."