Football 17/18

TheGayTent

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

So much for the talk of a new English dominance. Many were predicting 4 or 5 through after the last 16 draw.

Chelsea and Spurs came up against genuine European superpowers so can be excused a little. Given their players and resources United really should beaten Sevilla over two legs.

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

So much for the talk of a new English dominance. Many were predicting 4 or 5 through after the last 16 draw.

City and their oil money to one side, not a bad performance from an exhibition side...

6 minutes ago, The Nal said:

No comparison yeah. Amazing that losing 3-0 in the Champions League actually takes pressure off Conte. 

He’s not under pressure anyway is he?  He knows he’s a dead man walking. Champions League is everything to the Chelsea’s and United’s of the world, if you don’t get that you’re sacked. 

Edited by thetime

7 minutes ago, The Nal said:

No comparison yeah. Amazing that losing 3-0 in the Champions League actually takes pressure off Conte. 

I think people will question why he stuck with the false nine for so long previously.

2 minutes ago, thetime said:

He’s not under pressure anyway is he?  He knows he’s a dead man walking. Top 4 is everything to the Chelsea’s and United’s of the world, if you don’t get that you’re sacked. 

Yep. He was always leaving in the summer but the lack of top four (if this happens) will change it from mutual consent to sacked.

51 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Tammy Abraham, Dominic Solanke and Harry Winks all back in the u21s squad this time round.

No Joe Gomez though. He was on the bench at the weekend so obviously recovered form injury, looking good for him getting another senior call up.

Edit. Surprised Winks isn't in the senior squad, he looked really good last time out. Has he been playing much this season?

Edited by Dan R

I know Welbeck has always been 'alright' for England but why not call up a striker in form and scoring goals? Thought that was Southgate's way? Pleased to see Nick Pope in there and I agree the 'keepers will most likely see a half each. Time for Wilshere to deliver as well.

3 hours ago, jyoung said:

I know Welbeck has always been 'alright' for England but why not call up a striker in form and scoring goals? Thought that was Southgate's way? Pleased to see Nick Pope in there and I agree the 'keepers will most likely see a half each. Time for Wilshere to deliver as well.

Welbeck has a better than 'alright' record with England. 

15 minutes ago, jyoung said:

So does Peter Crouch tho.

Which to me partly justified his selection at the height of his career (you can have that pun for free)

Who's the alternative right now anyway - if you base it on your 'playing and scoring' belief then Glenn Murray. You can bet that if he was/is selected you would be getting endless "why pick a 34 year old" 

Edited by mjsell

15 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Which to me partly justified his selection at the height of his career (you can have that pun for free)

Who's the alternative right now anyway - if you base it on your 'playing and scoring' belief then Glenn Murray. You can bet that if he was/is selected you would be getting endless "why pick a 34 year old" 

Glen Murray is basically the Grant Holt of 2018.