Football 17/18

TheGayTent

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Don't think it's anything to do with colour. I reckon it's more likely to have something to do with his gangling frame, if it has anything to do with his physical characteristics.

And he wasn't a great player - we all know it - and yet he often out-performed the players around him at that time (tho a particularly bad time for football in England). I think that paradox helped make him a figure of fun (it's certainly what it was for me).

And for me his shitness is sort-of attached to Graham Taylor's shitness as England manager (which is, as far as i'm aware, where he got his high profile from). There's not many English players from that time who are rated, so we had to rate the shit ones - and they were always going to be rated as shit. :P

The entire Taylor reign can be summed up in one player... Geoff Thomas.

Doesn't feel like six years since we did one over on Barcelona in their own backyard. With Terry getting a red card and going 2-0 on the night it didn't seem like it was going to happen. As they say the rest is history. We had a lot of leaders that night. Fingers crossed for more of the same this evening.

34 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Doesn't feel like six years since we did one over on Barcelona in their own backyard. With Terry getting a red card and going 2-0 on the night it didn't seem like it was going to happen. As they say the rest is history. We had a lot of leaders that night. Fingers crossed for more of the same this evening.

Really looking forward to it yeah. Think you're getting thumped mind you but with an early goal who knows. 

6 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Really looking forward to it yeah. Think you're getting thumped mind you but with an early goal who knows. 

We'll try to be defensively sound, so hopefully that won't happen (try being the operative word of course). If we manage to frustrate them and take our chances on the counter attack then anything could happen. Either way, everyone knows Chelsea need to score, so. Hopefully they at least give it a go.

2 hours ago, jyoung said:

We'll try to be defensively sound, so hopefully that won't happen (try being the operative word of course). If we manage to frustrate them and take our chances on the counter attack then anything could happen. Either way, everyone knows Chelsea need to score, so. Hopefully they at least give it a go.

If Chelsea sit back they will get spanked - its what Barca are good at. They looked far better in the first leg when they took the game to Barca

Edit: fuck me my knowledge on my time differences is getting worse - completely forget it had kicked off already

Edited by mjsell

2 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Last thing we needed was 2-0 down in 20 mins. 1-0 we could work with but this makes it very difficult. Nothing to suggest its going to swing in our favour. Simply undone by the best player on the planet.

Next goal and its on. Chelsea having a go in fairness. I thought that Alonso free kick was in. Beautiful left peg on him. 

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Next goal and its on. Chelsea having a go in fairness. I thought that Alonso free kick was in. Beautiful left peg on him. 

Yeah it sounds mad but being 2-0 doesn't change much for us. We needed to score at 0-0 and 1-0. Now its obviously a case of two rather than one, but yeah. The atmosphere and mood now makes it a hefty challenge thought, that's for sure. We've been alright. Poor error from Courtois cost us... It's frustrating.

3 minutes ago, jyoung said:

That's that then. Messi is magical.

About time Courtois closed his legs, stopped angling for a move to Madrid and repaid us for making him no.1 and sacking off our most successful goalkeeper of all time*

*bitter

It is strange. Since he took over from Cech (which was the correct decision by the club) he has progressively got worse - maybe he was just so dominant in his first season that it was only possible to go downhill from there but not many keepers in their 20s manage it

17 minutes ago, mjsell said:

It is strange. Since he took over from Cech (which was the correct decision by the club) he has progressively got worse - maybe he was just so dominant in his first season that it was only possible to go downhill from there but not many keepers in their 20s manage it

Yep. It was the right call and Cech still played a few games in his last year so I think it was a nice transition. Obviously he's won the league twice and pulled out some good stops etc but he's not De Gea. He's not irreplaceable which is odd considering he wants to be the most well paid 'keeper in the world (apparently). He has a kid in Madrid so that's his reasoning for having an eye on that move. 

But like you said, not been great since that year of dominance.

Edited by jyoung

38 minutes ago, jyoung said:

About time Courtois closed his legs, stopped angling for a move to Madrid and repaid us for making him no.1 and sacking off our most successful goalkeeper of all time*

*bitter

At least he knows he won’t lose the Belgium number 1 gig.

57 minutes ago, mjsell said:

cec10074a360d8d40c77fea0b1c5f300