Football 17/18

TheGayTent

11 hours ago, thetime said:

Blimey even I thought it would take the Liverpool efesters a bit longer.

Always a huge day in a Liverpool fans season. Utd losing a big game. Been that way for 20 odd years. Its like winning a cup to them. Like Everton fans when Liverpool lose. 1 pisspot in 12 years. Let them have last night. Bless. 

5 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Thought it was weird after when he spoke about winning at Old Trafford with Porto and Madrid.

Thats unfortunately the side result of having a manager with a narcissistic personality. 

Big big loss for Mourinho. Dreadful team selection and tactics and after 10 minutes it was pretty clear Utd were going to struggle. Still thought Lukaku or Rashford would nip a goal though.

Not challenging for the league, playing like that in the Champions League and playing shite footie, unlike the start of the season. What is he actually doing in that case? Huge summer and early season for him now. Pressure is on. So so so obvious that a deep lying create midfielder is a missing link. 

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

What is he actually doing in that case?

trying to re-enforce his position?

I used to have a boss who used to say his first priority in any job was to try and make himself too important to the company to sack, by holding company secrets (passwords, whatever) that the company needed.

Moaniho reminds me of him. He puts out a shit team to prove the players are shit to get himself a big budget for new players, while somehow convincing his employers only he is able to improve the squad.

13 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

trying to re-enforce his position?

I used to have a boss who used to say his first priority in any job was to try and make himself too important to the company to sack, by holding company secrets (passwords, whatever) that the company needed.

Moaniho reminds me of him. He puts out a shit team to prove the players are shit to get himself a big budget for new players, while somehow convincing his employers only he is able to improve the squad.

Well he bought a few of them! Sanchez, Pogba, Matic. 

I don't think he put out the team for that reason. Its baffling all round. When I saw Fellaini starting I was worried. I just don't think he has faith in the team at the moment. 

He does need to sign another player though. A sitting creative midfielder. A Scholes, Alonso, Pirlo type. One in a million I know but he needs to find one. Rudderless stuff last night. Same against Palace too. And Newcastle. 

Anyway, some other teams path to the semi final just got a bit easier. 

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Anyway, some other teams path to the semi final just got a bit easier. 

Don't buy this arrogance at all. Sevilla might not have the 'names'  but they knocked you out fair and square (Liverpool couldn't manage a win either), so it's not as if the lesser side has gone through.

4 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Don't buy this arrogance at all. Sevilla might not have the 'names'  but they knocked you out fair and square (Liverpool couldn't manage a win either), so it's not as if the lesser side has gone through.

Many of the remaining sides will be miffed Utd are out. 

I would imagine Liverpool and City craving for that tie.

23 minutes ago, jyoung said:

A better sevilla side was knocked by lecister last year

Fair play to sevilla though, well deserved win. Utd fucked that very winnable tie and the 'doesnt have the players' excuse after spunking 600 millions over 2 years is pathetic from Jose

27 minutes ago, thetime said:

Many of the remaining sides will be miffed Utd are out. 

I would imagine Liverpool and City craving for that tie.

Yeah. It would be naive to believe that facing recent three time Europa League winners will guarantee a route to the semis. Of course it may be seen as favourable but to assume they are easier to face than United seems odd considering they did a job on them.

Edited by jyoung

37 minutes ago, jyoung said:

No arrogance. They're the weakest team left in it. They've lost 11 in the league this season, 42 conceded in 28 games and they only won 2/6 in their CL group including losing 5-1 to Spartak Moscow and a draw against Maribor. This is only the 2nd time they've ever got to the CL quarter finals. 

Don't disagree that they deserved to go through. 100% deserved. Utd were dogshit over the 2 legs though as opposed to Sevilla being really good. Sevilla really should've been ahead going into the 2nd leg and could've nipped a goal in the first half last night. No complaints from me on that.

42 minutes ago, The Nal said:

No arrogance. They're the weakest team left in it. They've lost 11 in the league this season, 42 conceded in 28 games and they only won 2/6 in their CL group including losing 5-1 to Spartak Moscow and a draw against Maribor. This is only the 2nd time they've ever got to the CL quarter finals. 

Don't disagree that they deserved to go through. 100% deserved. Utd were dogshit over the 2 legs though as opposed to Sevilla being really good. Sevilla really should've been ahead going into the 2nd leg and could've nipped a goal in the first half last night. No complaints from me on that.

rqpar7M.gif

Yeah I think he might be done for. He'll be working with Andy Gray and Richard Keys before we know it.

As for the CL. I would prefer to draw Roma over Sevilla. They have some very good players, although Ever Banega being out for the first leg of the next round will be a big loss to them. Personally think we are going to get Madrid and City will get Juve.

24 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Yeah I think he might be done for. He'll be working with Andy Gray and Richard Keys before we know it.

As for the CL. I would prefer to draw Roma over Sevilla. They have some very good players, although Ever Banega being out for the first leg of the next round will be a big loss to them. Personally think we are going to get Madrid and City will get Juve.

I agree, I think Roma have less European pedigree. I also think they scraped past a weaker team than Seville.

Just now, pink_triangle said:

I have always wondered if Carlton Palmer would have the same reputation if he had been white. He is far from the worst player that has played in the top league.

Don't think it's anything to do with colour. I reckon it's more likely to have something to do with his gangling frame, if it has anything to do with his physical characteristics.

And he wasn't a great player - we all know it - and yet he often out-performed the players around him at that time (tho a particularly bad time for football in England). I think that paradox helped make him a figure of fun (it's certainly what it was for me).

And for me his shitness is sort-of attached to Graham Taylor's shitness as England manager (which is, as far as i'm aware, where he got his high profile from). There's not many English players from that time who are rated, so we had to rate the shit ones - and they were always going to be rated as shit. :P