Football 17/18

TheGayTent

I've not watched Southampton play in a while, but based on this performance they should have been relegated a month ago. The result is great for us, but I don't think we've played that much better today than most of the season, they just can't defend for shit and offer no threat going forward.

Thankfully Baines is back. We've got a left back at left back finally and so may avoid the relegation fight now. Its not rocket science though maybe it is for Big Sam.

4 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Do you condone fans coming onto the pitch and confronting footballers? 

A couple of wallys coming on the pitch to protest? Yeah it’s not right. But there’s 57,000 there, I’m proud of the vast majority that didn’t go on the pitch, and protested in the stands and vented their anger that way. Vented their anger in the only possible way after the board shut down the peaceful march that was planned for this morning and stopped the vast majority of banners getting through onto the island and into the stands.

13 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

A couple of wallys coming on the pitch to protest? Yeah it’s not right. But there’s 57,000 there, I’m proud of the vast majority that didn’t go on the pitch, and protested in the stands and vented their anger that way. Vented their anger in the only possible way after the board shut down the peaceful march that was planned for this morning and stopped the vast majority of banners getting through onto the island and into the stands.

This is a good summing up

"As far as picking an image to define West Ham United in its current state goes, Sunday’s back pages will at least have their pick.

"Was it the fans holding up a banner declaring the message ‘Sold a dream, given a nightmare’? Was it the home supporters attempting to storm the directors’ box before David Sullivan made his escape? Was it supporters fighting between each other in the stands? Was it Mark Noble throwing a pitch invader to the floor, like a pub fight played out in front of a live audience? Was it the one West Ham supporter raising a corner flag above his head after entering the field, as if he was announcing that he had conquered a new kingdom? Was it Burnley’s players having to invite young children to sit on the bench in order to keep them safe in the stands? Was it David Gold being hit in the head with a bottle of p*ss outside the ground?"

http://www.football365.com/news/f365s-early-losers-west-ham-hitting-rock-bottom

17 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

A couple of wallys coming on the pitch to protest? Yeah it’s not right. But there’s 57,000 there, I’m proud of the vast majority that didn’t go on the pitch, and protested in the stands and vented their anger that way. 

Nah obv not saying it was everyone, think we can all agree with that.

I thought it was embarrassing that as soon as the first goal went in, the towel was thrown in. Fans on the pitch and fans heading towards the directors box, not even watching the game. Toxic atmosphere. Hardly surprising that another two goals quickly followed.

What are you mad about? The bullshit stadium? The bullshit board? That all exists regardless of the score. The disturbance only occurred when you went 1-0 down. So is it the performance you're mad at? I don't do it but I understand why a fan might boo a team who aren't giving it a go but the anger today, I presume is due to other circumstances. After all, you're not even in the relegation zone. 

All this said, obv I feel sorry for the fans who go week in week out and support their team through hard times. The kids who have to watch events such as today unravel etc. I know that the club is going through a tough time and it's hard for you lot. We're all human and none of us are perfect. When you care so much, sometimes you behave in strange ways... It's disappointing to watch any club that people care about in bad hands.

But you can't ignore those scenes. Soz.

28 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Agreed, there are idiots at every club. Have the fans considered boycotting games as a protest?

We all know there are scum bags in every club.

Just a point here... West Brom have sacked half their board, had players showing themselves up, suffered loss after loss and sit rooted to the bottom of the table but you don't see their fans behaving like that.

Edited by jyoung

1 minute ago, jyoung said:

Just a point here... West Brom have sacked half their board, had players showing themselves up, suffered loss after loss and sit rooted to the bottom of the table but you don't see their fans behaving like that.

Every club has different circumstances. From my experience protests at clubs are rarely due to the points total.

3 minutes ago, jyoung said:

I don’t know the ins and outs of WBA so I don’t feel best placed to comment on what they are or aren’t doing. 

Likewise I can’t speak for for any WHU fams other than myself. I’m angry at Sullivan and Gold for ruining the football club for the sole benefit of their bank account. No more no less. It’s got sweet FA to do with the score at today’s game. 

2 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Likewise I can’t speak for for any WHU fams other than myself. I’m angry at Sullivan and Gold for ruining the football club for the sole benefit of their bank account. No more no less. It’s got sweet FA to do with the score at today’s game. 

That's fair enough. I suppose I'm not in the position to say how I'd respond but I don't think waiting til your team goes 1-0 down is the best time to voice that anger if you're not assed about the scoreline. Hope it sorts itself out though, as I said, isn't nice to watch owners ruin a club.

7 minutes ago, jyoung said:

That's fair enough. I suppose I'm not in the position to say how I'd respond but I don't think waiting til your team goes 1-0 down is the best time to voice that anger if you're not assed about the scoreline. Hope it sorts itself out though, as I said, isn't nice to watch owners ruin a club.

You can’t be that naive to believe that these things happen without a spark. 

WWI wasn’t about Archduke Franz Ferdinand. Today’s protests against the board weren’t the result of Burnley going one nil up. 

58 minutes ago, jyoung said:

We are just completely apathetic to it all now. Nobody inside the club cares, why should we?

In better news my accumulator came in today and I’m now £577 richer.

3 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I've not watched Southampton play in a while, but based on this performance they should have been relegated a month ago. The result is great for us, but I don't think we've played that much better today than most of the season, they just can't defend for shit and offer no threat going forward.

Great result and I was there today!

Southampton had all of the ball and did nothing with it, we were never in threat. Great counter play from us, Kennedy's first goal was lovely as was Ritchie's. Shelvey ran the show for us again. Diame is a player reborn since xmas!

43 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Great result and I was there today!

Southampton had all of the ball and did nothing with it, we were never in threat. Great counter play from us, Kennedy's first goal was lovely as was Ritchie's. Shelvey ran the show for us again. Diame is a player reborn since xmas!

Nice! I haven't been up in years, long trek from Bristol. Made a couple of away games last season but none this.

Yeah completely. They looked completely devoid of ideas though, all season we've been counter attacking well, but lacked the finishes. Perez excellent again, after a shocking first 3 months in October-December.