Football 17/18

TheGayTent

That was the kind of game where you'd probably take a draw before kick off but can't help feeling a bit gutted come full time.

We'll come away from that game disappointed and I think that says a lot. There's no shame in drawing against Barcelona but it was ours to win. We'll go again in Spain, no doubt as the underdog, with people calling Barca favourites once more. 

I have to admit, I questioned the formation and lack of out and out striker but we played a fantastic tactical game. It was clear we had a plan and I thought we executed it very well. 

Fantastic team performance and hard to single anyone out. Barca punished our one mistake and that's football at the highest level. Christensen will learn from that. Chins up and same again for the second leg. All to play for.

46 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Half right.

On another night Chelsea could have won that 3-0. I worry for them in the second leg though as they have to score which could leave them exposed.

Barca will always play the same way, especially when at Nou Camp so we'll stick to our tactics and look to exploit their weaknesses as we did last night. We certainly won't be throwing ourselves forward and leaving ourselves exposed though.

5 hours ago, Wooderson said:

So are we to believe that Holgate still thinks he was racially abused? FA statement suggests only reason RF not banned was that evidence didn’t support the accusation. That’s nice.

perhaps he's the stereotypical footie player, and that's what he thinks? He wouldn't be the first brain-dead player to play at the top level.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

perhaps he's the stereotypical footie player, and that's what he thinks? He wouldn't be the first brain-dead player to play at the top level.

The "brain dead" argument doesnt work for me Neil mate, soz. Its too big a deal. If RF abused this kid he should be banned for ten games and his career over. Period.

Theyve investigated in detail and found nothing - yet there is no exoneration. My point above stands, this player could still genuinely feel he was abused. The LFC player will be tainted with this for good. Unacceptable.

At best this is a totally genuine mistake by the Everton lad. Would be ok only he pushed the Liverpool player into the fucking stand prior to the incident and has made no reference to it since. A very simple "It appears I misinterpreted the portuguese phrase used. I now move on." would suffice.

At worst its malicious. He should get an equal ban to that which RF would be subject. The BBCSport twitter account last night stated Bobby would "avoid disciplinary action". Unacceptable inference here.

16 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Theyve investigated in detail and found nothing - yet there is no exoneration.

True, although they obviously don't feel that Bobby's innocence can be proven beyond all doubt, either, and he has admitted to abusing Holgate (just not racist abuse). I'll give the FA the benefit of the doubt on this one, because Bobby isn't innocent of everything. 

I know his reaction was understandable in the circumstances, but from the FA's view it's for the ref to ref the game and not for players to take matters into their own hands ... where I'm uncomfortable most with this is when its put alongside Livermore getting a free-pass for reacting.

Next up is Jay Rodrigez, I think - another one where the main suggestion is that there was nothing to it. I'm all for the FA acting against racism, but depending how that one turns out I reckon they might need to adjust their procedures.

27 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

True, although they obviously don't feel that Bobby's innocence can be proven beyond all doubt, either, and he has admitted to abusing Holgate (just not racist abuse). I'll give the FA the benefit of the doubt on this one, because Bobby isn't innocent of everything. 

I know his reaction was understandable in the circumstances, but from the FA's view it's for the ref to ref the game and not for players to take matters into their own hands ... where I'm uncomfortable most with this is when its put alongside Livermore getting a free-pass for reacting.

Bobby is innocent of this charge. We'll see where this goes. Either the FA sharpens up their processes surrounding such matters or the mere accusation is all that will ever be required to sully a player's character forever. This will be capitalised upon.

23 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Bobby is innocent of this charge.

there's a fine line between 'abuse' and 'racist abuse'. They're both designed to do the same thing, and the difference can be as little as one extra word which takes a few milliseconds to be said.

If there's been no abuse, then it would have been impossible for there to be any racial abuse.

Because there was abuse and an allegation that some of it was racial, without being able to track* every word that left bobby's gob at the time it's impossible to conclude that there was no racial abuse.

(* he's out of sight of the video for some of it, I believe)

Remember, this isn't about high criminal standards for evidence. It's much closer to (in E&W law) a civil case, or (as i understand it) the Scottish criminal system which has 'not proven' as well as 'not guilty'.

Edited by eFestivals

15 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Again, Bobby appears to have wronged this Everton kid.

That's cos he did, and admitted to the FA that he did.

I know it's pretty standard on the pitch, but he abused him. That's a wrong.

15 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Bizarre and disingenuous Neil. Theres a clear difference between a racist remark and the outburst Bobby uttered following his return to the pitch from being pushed head first into the stand.

One is racist and one is not, but they're both abuse.

Like I say, from an FA consistency point of view, where the bobby decision is dodgy is when compared against the recent Livermore case, rather than against other racism cases. 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Next up is Jay Rodrigez, I think - another one where the main suggestion is that there was nothing to it. I'm all for the FA acting against racism, but depending how that one turns out I reckon they might need to adjust their procedures.

I'm willing to bet the West Brom player is treated differently to the Liverpool player.