Football 17/18

TheGayTent

12 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I think that reasoning is debatable. I think a bigger reason is it is harder for them to get first team football in England.

yup, that was where my comment was coming from. 

They might be very decent players amongst their peers, but in Prem terms they're the scraps - which wasn't who used to go overseas.

Edited by eFestivals

9 hours ago, eFestivals said:

yup, that was where my comment was coming from. 

They might be very decent players amongst their peers, but in Prem terms they're the scraps - which wasn't who used to go overseas.

I don't see them looking at players from Huddersfield though. Sancho is a top class prospect. City wanted to keep him and Arsenal wanted him. The kid wanted to play football. There are bargains to be had in England.

That Rondon goal was one heck of a strike.

On the subject of VAR - I don't really like it. Although the only time I've been at a match when it was used it favoured us, I think one of the thing that makes football is the talking points. Sometimes you get the rub of the green, sometimes you don't. Although I get that now these decisions can cost clubs loads of ££ - I enjoy that bit of controversy on occasion!

14 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

That Rondon goal was one heck of a strike.

On the subject of VAR - I don't really like it. Although the only time I've been at a match when it was used it favoured us, I think one of the thing that makes football is the talking points. Sometimes you get the rub of the green, sometimes you don't. Although I get that now these decisions can cost clubs loads of ££ - I enjoy that bit of controversy on occasion!

I'm not entirely sure that VAR has reduced controversy.

Big Chelsea game tonight. We've had some memorable nights against Barca... Always enjoy thinking back to these games as I was glued to the tele throughout my teens watching them.

Being 3-0 up after 20 mins at the bridge in 2005 before one of the greatest goals of all time from Ronaldinho. Being knocked out in 2009 with four penalty appeals turn down, Ballack going bat shit crazy, Drogba's 'f***ing disgrace'... And of course Torres' goalgasm in 2012, knocking them out against all odds before going on to win the trophy.

Without the likes of Cech, A.Cole, Lamps, JT and Drogba it's got to be time for some of these lads to step up. Looking forward to the game.

Edited by jyoung

9 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Big Chelsea game tonight. We've had some memorable nights against Barca... Always enjoy thinking back to these games as I was glued to the tele throughout my teens watching them.

Being 3-0 up after 20 mins at the bridge in 2005 before one of the greatest goals of all time from Ronaldinho. Being knocked out in 2009 with four penalty appeals turn down, Ballack going bat shit crazy, Drogba's 'f***ing disgrace'... And of course Torres' goalgasm in 2012, knocking them out against all odds before going on to win the trophy.

Without the likes of Cech, A.Cole, Lamps, JT and Drogba it's got to be time for some of these lads to step up. Looking forward to the game.

Can’t see past Barca tonight I’m afraid.

1-3 is my prediction.

That VAR mishap (I'm a fan of it remember) seems like the pitch wasn't scanned in properly. I'm assuming that's how they do it, similar to the NFL lines that you see telling you where the first down line is. They do a scan of the pitch to make it all work.

They said the image shown was different from what they looked at :lol: they would say that.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Can’t see past Barca tonight I’m afraid.

1-3 is my prediction.

It's hard to say. I expect Messi to break his duck and finally score against us but we can be defensively sound, so, who knows?! Recently we've struggled but we have a history of digging in when needed. I think we have to play 3-5-2 as 3-4-3 gives them too much space in midfield and we can't leave Kante and Fabregas in there on their own. Should be a good game anyway, always delivers fantastic goals and plenty of drama.

I know Barca are top of the league but they haven't been at their blistering best this season. Few dodgy ish results and a few get out of jail moments from Messi and Suarez. Its more that Madrid have been plopsies and the league in general is at a lower standard. Valencia are third. If there was ever a time for Chelsea to do Barca its now.

Still can't see anything than a Barca win over two legs though.

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I know Barca are top of the league but they haven't been at their blistering best this season. Few dodgy ish results and a few get out of jail moments from Messi and Suarez. Its more that Madrid have been plopsies and the league in general is at a lower standard. Valencia are third. If there was ever a time for Chelsea to do Barca its now.

Still can't see anything than a Barca win over two legs though.

Barca have only lost once this season haven’t they? That was a 1st leg cop del Rey and they won the second leg. 

Can see Barca getting a Liverpool scoreline tonight. 

20 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Come off it!

Think if Chelsea are in with a shout if they keep a clean sheet in the first half, maybe nab a goal. If Barca get one or two in the first half though I reckon Chelsea will lose their heads and it could get messy.

2 hours ago, thetime said:

Barca have only lost once this season haven’t they? That was a 1st leg cop del Rey and they won the second leg. 

They have yeah but a few 0-0s, 1-1s and they've scraped a good few 1 nils and 2-1s. Still winning of course and theres been a few hammerings in there too as per. Just don't think they're quite the force they have been. 

Now that I've said that, cricket score later.