Football 17/18

TheGayTent

Just now, pink_triangle said:

From experience England v England matches are generally pretty bad in the champions league. I personally think its a pity to (potentially) see so many teams from one country. I always think the tournament is better when there is more variety.

The best teams are the best teams. Nationality is irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

From experience England v England matches are generally pretty bad in the champions league. I personally think its a pity to (potentially) see so many teams from one country. I always think the tournament is better when there is more variety.

I don't know about that... I went to a fair few classics - Liverpool/Chelsea semi, Liverpool/Arsenal, Liverpool/Utd in the Europa - and that's not counting the 4-4 at Stamford Bridge. I'm sure if say City drew Spurs it could be pretty entertaining. 

15 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

I don't know about that... I went to a fair few classics - Liverpool/Chelsea semi, Liverpool/Arsenal, Liverpool/Utd in the Europa - and that's not counting the 4-4 at Stamford Bridge. I'm sure if say City drew Spurs it could be pretty entertaining. 

It never feels like a European match to me when 2 teams from the same nation play each other.

14 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

A perfect example of why so many statistics should be completely ignored. 

I always think clean sheets are a poor way of judging keepers. But Karius has looked a lot better in recent weeks now he's actually got a run of games. 

1 hour ago, Dan R said:

I always think clean sheets are a poor way of judging keepers. But Karius has looked a lot better in recent weeks now he's actually got a run of games. 

Fair enough but i just think its a relevant factor that their defence is beginning to catch up with their attack

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Fair enough but i just think its a relevant factor that their defence is beginning to catch up with their attack

Lets see how he reacts when he is under the blitzing attack of some of the better attacking sides in Europe.

2 games against Maribor, last night and an awful display by Spartak Moscow at Anfield aint really bar setting from the keepers perspective..........

Lets not forget he was in goal during that second half against Sevilla 

Edited by ThomThomDrum

20 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Lets see how he reacts when he is under the blitzing attack of some of the better attacking sides in Europe.

2 games against Maribor, last night and an awful display by Spartak Moscow at Anfield aint really bar setting from the keepers perspective..........

Lets not forget he was in goal during that second half against Sevilla 

Porto have been unbeaten at home all season. Not a pushover

6 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

From a neutral perspective this could be true - especially the Liverpool/Chelsea games between 2005 - 2009.

Liverpol v Arsenal was fantastic and Liverpool v United in the Europa was pretty good, too.

I’m actually pretty confident all the British teams will make it through so the draw for the 1/4s could be incredibly interesting!

21 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Jadon Sancho could play Reece Oxford in the Bundesliga this weekend, when was the last time 2 English players faced each other in a non English top 5 European league?

Did Collymore ever play against Madrid (McManaman/Beckham) when he had that short spell at Oviedo? Or Jermaine Pennant? They're the only ones I can think of and I doubt Collymore did as he was only there a few weeks!?