Football 17/18

TheGayTent

2 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

What are your thoughts on the changes at the top at your place?

Stable doors and bolted horses spring straight to mind.

Williams (the Chairman) had to go, he was hired by our new Chinese owners to oversee the club and keep us steady in the PL and he has failed spectacularly. Giving Pulis a new contract last summer when we hadn't won in our final 12 games was stupid, waiting until November when we hadn't won in another 15 games to sack him was pure dereliction of duty, he also hired Alan "one PL win in 13 so far" Pardew to replace him. Suffice to say it hasn't gone well for him. he was very much an "old school" chairman with a small contact book and "jobs for the boys" mentality.

My hope is that the owners have realised that we are fucked and this is the start of a complete overhaul of a club that has stagnated over the last couple of years. We need fresh blood and new ideas in all areas - the boardroom, the coaching staff and on the pitch. It's just  shame it's taken our impending relegation for them to realise that.

29 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

My hope is that the owners have realised that we are fucked and this is the start of a complete overhaul of a club that has stagnated over the last couple of years.

isn't it more likely that they thought they were buying a cash cow and are going to shit themselves and milk the club in the face of relegation?

</just a guess>

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

isn't it more likely that they thought they were buying a cash cow and are going to shit themselves and milk the club in the face of relegation?

</just a guess>

It could easily go that way too. They paid £160m for the club, you'd think they'd at least have a go at protecting that investment. They'll certainly get nowhere near that figure for a Championship club, even if they strip everything of value out first.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I was gonna tell you you were wrong yesterday, but if I'd done that it would have guaranteed you were right. :P

Bar the standard LFC malaise "Can they keep this team together?" the wider issue w/  this team is that theyre utterly incredible until theyre not.

They couldve beaten anyone 5-0 last night.

The bummer is that its equally likely that they couldve lost outright or thrown a big lead away. Only time will heal this problem. Keeper looked more confident. Robertson looks the biz. Hope we stuff them 5-0 at Klanfield (hiya Nal!) in a couple weeks time.

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

that Salah goal last night, 4 touches to himself over about 5 seconds, 2 foot from the goal line, absolutely-feckin' amazing.

Milner's shot just before, too. If that had been Coutinho people would be changing their pants.

And more assists for Milner. I saw a stat last night (I forget the numbers now) which said Milner's assists this season are better than Firmino's (on minutes-played basis).

Best of all last night was how the left hand side of the team (even with midfielders & attackers swapping) was so joined up. And it feels cruel to say that cos TAA on the other side was far from shabby.

10 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Bar the standard LFC malaise "Can they keep this team together?" the wider issue w/  this team is that theyre utterly incredible until theyre not.

The bummer is that its equally likely that they couldve lost outright or thrown a big lead away. Only time will heal this problem. Keeper looked more confident. Robertson looks the biz. Hope we stuff them 5-0 at Klanfield (hiya Nal!) in a couple weeks time.

If you cant enjoy the fun games without thinking that they COULD have lost 4-0, it sounds like there is little point watching.

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

that Salah goal last night, 4 touches to himself over about 5 seconds, 2 foot from the goal line, absolutely-feckin' amazing.

Milner's shot just before, too. If that had been Coutinho people would be changing their pants.

And more assists for Milner. I saw a stat last night (I forget the numbers now) which said Milner's assists this season are better than Firmino's (on minutes-played basis).

Best of all last night was how the left hand side of the team (even with midfielders & attackers swapping) was so joined up. And it feels cruel to say that cos TAA on the other side was far from shabby.

Also:No goalkeeper has made more ChampionsLeague clean sheets this season (4) than Loris Karius

10 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

I know where you're coming from, but I'm not sure. It's a difference defence with a different goalie, and acting in totally different ways. Oh, and Lovren getting to play on the right.

Karius suddenly looks the business, and the 'thanks' slapping going on between the backs and goalie shows they're building a team at the back that didn't exist previously.

Robertson has been superb, but I think a big difference is TAA instead of Gomez. His speed and crossing helps break down teams they'd struggle with otherwise.

I reckon we'll only see Gomez in the middle from next season (perhaps as 1st choice pairing with VVD).

Just now, eFestivals said:

I know where you're coming from, but I'm not sure. It's a difference defence with a different goalie, and acting in totally different ways. Oh, and Lovren getting to play on the right.

Karius suddenly looks the business, and the 'thanks' slapping going on between the backs and goalie shows they're building a team at the back that didn't exist previously.

Robertson has been superb, but I think a big difference is TAA instead of Gomez. His speed and crossing helps break down teams they'd struggle with otherwise.

I reckon we'll only see Gomez in the middle from next season (perhaps as 1st choice pairing with VVD).

Karius, as i said above, has the most clean sheets in the champs so far  Ur right, not all attack!

20 minutes ago, zahidf said:

If you cant enjoy the fun games without thinking that they COULD have lost 4-0, it sounds like there is little point watching.

Bar Houllier/Rafa years this has been LFC fandom for more than a generation. Its a high-wire act.

33 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Actually, I just realised that if all 5 teams qualify then it's impossible for them to do country protection!

I was speaking to a City fan last night and the only team he doesn't want to draw is Liverpool. Providing we complete the job at Anfield, I'd relish anyone as that's what the European cup is about, but I'd hope for a team outside of England (and I'd like to avoid Spurs as we always slip up against them).

Edited by vintagelaureate

18 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

They'll all look the business until they don't. :P

For all of LFC's flair and menace, I doubt they have Spurs guts to drag themselves back into the game on Tuesday after 10.

4 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

They'll all look the business until they don't. :P

True. :lol:

Like all teams tho, they'll get beat now and then whatever, and they'll make occasional comical mistakes. It doesn't mean they're shit if they do.

4 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

For all of LFC's flair and menace, I doubt they have Spurs guts to drag themselves back into the game on Tuesday after 10.

wasn't Liverpool v Spurs a few weeks ago pretty much the thing you say Liverpool can't do? :blink::P

I'm not trying to claim Liverpool as good (at that) or the finished article as a team, but they are starting to display some of the grit they've been lacking. They're an improving team.

57 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Actually, I just realised that if all 5 teams qualify then it's impossible for them to do country protection!

From experience England v England matches are generally pretty bad in the champions league. I personally think its a pity to (potentially) see so many teams from one country. I always think the tournament is better when there is more variety.