Football 17/18

TheGayTent

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

pogba

:lol:

Call me old fashioned, but there are a few fundamental traits I’d expect from a midfielder, not to mention one you’d paid over £100m for. Being able to perform effectively in two opposing directions and getting the odd tackle in are both high on the list.

In 2 minds about the Salah/De Bruyne argument.

Both are absolutely phenomenal. I think De Bruyne just edges it and the fact he will be winning trophies puts him even further ahead. However I also look at how they would both do if they were in each others situation. Salah would still be scoring for fun (probably be on 30 goals by now in that team), De Bruyne wouldn't be surround by such class players so wouldn't look as good.

10 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

In 2 minds about the Salah/De Bruyne argument.

Both are absolutely phenomenal. I think De Bruyne just edges it and the fact he will be winning trophies puts him even further ahead. However I also look at how they would both do if they were in each others situation. Salah would still be scoring for fun (probably be on 30 goals by now in that team), De Bruyne wouldn't be surround by such class players so wouldn't look as good.

It's been said about Aguero too, but a lot of people take De Bruyne's brilliance for granted because he does it every week. He makes brilliance look ordinary.

Personally speaking united fans are aiming there abuse in the wrong direction. End of the day Smalling is a squad player and we all know how average he is. 

Pogba on the other hand is bang average, not a single game against a top side has he turned up, now he doesn’t even turn up against mediocre teams. 

10 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Well neither of them were good enough for Chelsea :P

At the time, they probably weren't. People forget that Chelsea won the league both seasons after selling De Bruyne and Salah.  Easy to sit around and act like Chelsea are the only team to not give chances to players who have gone on to be class but yeah the trophy cabinet is doing just fine recently.

This isn't a dig towards you by the way but the media seem to love hashing out these 'stories' about Chelsea rejects.

22 minutes ago, jyoung said:

At the time, they probably weren't. People forget that Chelsea won the league both seasons after selling De Bruyne and Salah.  Easy to sit around and act like Chelsea are the only team to not give chances to players who have gone on to be class but yeah the trophy cabinet is doing just fine recently.

This isn't a dig towards you by the way but the media seem to love hashing out these 'stories' about Chelsea rejects.

Chelsea around 3-7 years ago had a phase of every window buying at least one, if not two or three, young attacking midfielders that didn't really play much for the club, and got loaned out/sold on around two years later. It felt like they were trying to hoover up all the talent without any direction towards the team or squad, much like Real Madrid (particularly in the noughties).

I'm not just repeating lines in the media btw, you can probably find a comment from me in the football thread from 5 years ago here saying about all the £10-20m players they had out on loan.

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

Chelsea around 3-7 years ago had a phase of every window buying at least one, if not two or three, young attacking midfielders that didn't really play much for the club, and got loaned out/sold on around two years later. It felt like they were trying to hoover up all the talent without any direction towards the team or squad, much like Real Madrid (particularly in the noughties).

I'm not just repeating lines in the media btw, you can probably find a comment from me in the football thread from 5 years ago here saying about all the £10-20m players they had out on loan.

I remember the time well. Everytime a top 5 team was linked with a player, Chelsea seemed to swoop the next day. It very much looked like trying to get success by reducing supply to competitors.

52 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I remember the time well. Everytime a top 5 team was linked with a player, Chelsea seemed to swoop the next day. It very much looked like trying to get success by reducing supply to competitors.

I don't believe that was the aim, but a happy consequence (on their part). Their loan system made them (and probably still does - a quick search and they currently have 37 players out on loan) a truck load of cash - far more than the transfer fees they are paying for these types of players. 

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

What other examples are you thinking about?

United let go of Pogba and Pique. Real let go of Juanfran and Eto'o.

edit: I suppose those guys were at the start of their careers so it is slightly different but yeah. We signed plenty and used few. 

Edited by jyoung