Football 17/18

TheGayTent

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

because he has a history of not working out as well as hoped-for when signed.

I think that's a stretch. He was hugely successful in Udinese who I think were more than happy with the signing. Barcelona didn't really work out, but I think Arsenal has been more successful than not.

A lot of people are bringing up his age, but I think Man utd aren't buying with a view to resale, they want instant results now. I think his talent is not in doubt, the only concern would be his relationship with other players, eg reports he wouldn't pass to certain players he didn't get on with.

Just now, pink_triangle said:

I think that's a stretch. He was hugely successful in Udinese who I think were more than happy with the signing. Barcelona didn't really work out, but I think Arsenal has been more successful than not.

A lot of people are bringing up his age, but I think Man utd aren't buying with a view to resale, they want instant results now. I think his talent is not in doubt, the only concern would be his relationship with other players, eg reports he wouldn't pass to certain players he didn't get on with.

i'm referencing everything that comes with Sanchez in suggesting it's a deal that Utd might come to regret. (and a big part of why is the size of the wage bill, along with his traits)

In the short-term I don't really have any doubts that he'll be great for Utd. 

Just now, eFestivals said:

i'm referencing everything that comes with Sanchez in suggesting it's a deal that Utd might come to regret. (and a big part of why is the size of the wage bill, along with his traits)

In the short-term I don't really have any doubts that he'll be great for Utd. 

I see the wage bill as the least of their concerns. They aren't on the verge of not complying with financial fair play. These sums that sound huge are small in the grand scale of things. If it wasn't Alexis pushing up the wage bill today, it would be someone else in the summer. Even if he turns out a huge flop, Man Utd will just spend huge to buy someone else. I don't think financial concerns are a huge consideration.

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I see the wage bill as the least of their concerns. They aren't on the verge of not complying with financial fair play. These sums that sound huge are small in the grand scale of things. If it wasn't Alexis pushing up the wage bill today, it would be someone else in the summer. Even if he turns out a huge flop, Man Utd will just spend huge to buy someone else. I don't think financial concerns are a huge consideration.

Sanchez has wages that are around 2% of Utd's turnover.  

Even so, I don't doubt they can afford him even if he flops.

But that's a different thing to regretting signing him, if he were to flop. There's a limit to how many players they might support on wages taking such a big chunk of the club's turnover.

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Since Liverpool last conceded from a corner there have been 50 of them that all led to nothing. Yet when it does happen, commentators/summarisers bang on about how it's all the fault of zonal marking. Muppets.

Yeah I don't watch a whole lot of analysis or read about football because of that. Sometimes teams just play shit. 

Very Liverpool though, beating the runaway leaders and then losing to the bottom team. Should've put money on it in retrospect. A banker. 

15 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

SFA going all in on O’Neill leaving them in a right mess. Wage and length of contract offer now in public domain and next guy knows he wasn’t first choice.

Everyone excited about the Nations League draw tomorrow ?

Do you think people mind not being first choice? Take someone like Lambert at Stoke, I bet he is just happy to get the job, even if it was because several didn't want it.

If I was O Neil I wouldnt touch the Scotland job. I think his most realistic route to the premiership is through the championship.

21 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Do you think people mind not being first choice? Take someone like Lambert at Stoke, I bet he is just happy to get the job, even if it was because several didn't want it.

If I was O Neil I wouldnt touch the Scotland job. I think his most realistic route to the premiership is through the championship.

Story goes he turned down the Sunderland job.

I wasn’t hugely convinced about him but think he was worth a punt as we will struggle to attract anyone with any kind of track record. I had him at 5/1 :-(

His club record isn’t up to much. Probably championship as you say or he takes the money and the 6 year contract and stays put.

43 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Story goes he turned down the Sunderland job.

I wasn’t hugely convinced about him but think he was worth a punt as we will struggle to attract anyone with any kind of track record. I had him at 5/1 :-(

His club record isn’t up to much. Probably championship as you say or he takes the money and the 6 year contract and stays put.

What national manager would be silly enough to take the Sunderland job! 

I can see why Scotland would want O Neil, just don't see the attraction the other way round. As I said better career progression and bigger salary in the championship. 

One positive, at least you don't have Ryan Giggs!

22 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

What national manager would be silly enough to take the Sunderland job! 

I can see why Scotland would want O Neil, just don't see the attraction the other way round. As I said better career progression and bigger salary in the championship. 

One positive, at least you don't have Ryan Giggs!

He lives in Scotland. By all accounts he was pretty close to taking it. Thought it through, decided against it. Fair enough.

I agree it’s not a big draw. Also agree on Giggs.

They said it won’t be Malky so guessing McCleish or S McCall.

5 hours ago, The Nal said:

Very Liverpool though, beating the runaway leaders and then losing to the bottom team. Should've put money on it in retrospect. A banker. 

Yep, was telling people in work all day that we'd lose, yet didn't put a penny on it.

So seems hes always been a fan

Since I was a boy I’ve always said my dream was to play for Manchester United. I’m not saying that because I’m here now... I always said as a kid that I’d like to play for United, and I once spoke to Sir Alex Ferguson about it. We chatted for around twenty minutes. And I told him that it was my dream to come here to United. I looked at the badge and my hairs just stood up on end because it’s a powerful club and the biggest in England."

13 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Since I was a boy I’ve always said my dream was to play for Manchester United. I’m not saying that because I’m here now... I always said as a kid that I’d like to play for United, and I once spoke to Sir Alex Ferguson about it. We chatted for around twenty minutes. And I told him that it was my dream to come here to United. I looked at the badge and my hairs just stood up on end because it’s a powerful club and the biggest in England."

but he had such luuuve for City until about 2 seconds after his agent spoke to them and City laughed. :P

30 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I dont know why they bother with that bullshit.

He is allowed to be just in it for the money. Its a job after all.