Football 17/18

TheGayTent

9 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

It's been a link that's been discussed since Speed's death. Assuming Bennell doesn't admit to anything, we'll never know. 

Besides, even if he did admit it, we'll never know whether it was this that caused Speed to take his own life. 

Bennell's crimes are huge and he deserves to go away for a very long time, but I feel uncomfortable with the public suggestion that a. he touched Gary Speed and b. this lead directly to his suicide, without any form of proof.

Edited by Hugh Jass

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

That is a huge allegation and connection to make.

The connection is there already if Speed was coached by Bennell.

And there's not really an allegation, just a statement that he knows of that number of people coached by Bennell who've taken their own lives. The high number is suggestive of a link - but where it doesn't necessarily apply in all cases because some people take their own lives without having been abused.

I don't think (from what i've read elsewhere) the guy is saying anything with insensitivity towards Speed, just he's saying what he knows to a court.

51 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Loved watching Norwich last night. Proper footie from a lower league team. :)

Three (ok, 2) dives from Chelsea, plus I loved how Moratta has tuned into VAR in about 2 seconds, and was doing a square at the ref. Chelsea still think they own the ref.

Madison looks a player. 

3 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Yeah the dives last night year were stupid. Morata definitely going through a rough patch. Just needs another goal to get going again. Plenty of injuries and suspensions should be an interesting bench against Brighton this weekend.

Surprised there hasn’t been the media attention on Morata’s poor form, when you think the attention lukaku got. 

Ok I’m not surprised. ;)

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Surprised there hasn’t been the media attention on Morata’s poor form, when you think the attention lukaku got. 

It's been bought up a fair bit and the fans are well aware. He needs to get used to playing regularly, as its something he hasn't done in his career so far. He also needs to learn not to get bullied by defenders. He goes down far too easily and cuts a sulky figure when he doesn't get fouls. He'll find his form again though, that is for sure. Scored some class goals earlier in the season. Its not just him who is off colour. We've stopped creating decent chances altogether. Hoping Barkley might be able to play this weekend and show some spark. Not sure whether Conte will go with Batshuayi up front though so probably looking at Hazard in false 9 position which is a bit sad.

Edited by jyoung

9 minutes ago, jyoung said:

It's been bought up a fair bit and the fans are well aware. He needs to get used to playing regularly, as its something he hasn't done in his career so far. He also needs to learn not to get bullied by defenders. He goes down far too easily and cuts a sulky figure when he doesn't get fouls. He'll find his form again though, that is for sure. Scored some class goals earlier in the season. Its not just him who is off colour. We've stopped creating decent chances altogether. Hoping Barkley might be able to play this weekend and show some spark. Not sure whether Conte will go with Batshuayi up front though so probably looking at Hazard in false 9 position which is a bit sad.

I'd start with dropping Bakayoko. 

All this talk of spunking money - theres £40 mil you'd love to have back

Edited by mjsell

14 minutes ago, mjsell said:

I'd start with dropping Bakayoko. 

All this talk of spunking money - theres £40 mil you'd love to have back

Mate, tell me about it! He started off alright and I thought jeeze with him and Kante we could be a force but since then he's been so, so poor! I'm not a fan at the moment but thats just because its been so frustrating to watch us play recently. Honestly. I know Matic wanted to play for Mourinho so not a lot we could have done there but lordy... Baka has been below average by Chelsea standards but Conte seems intent on playing him.

I've zero surprise about our takeover falling through. Zero. I'm barely even disappointed, the moment it started being "negotiations" I assumed it was going to crap out at some point.

£6m for transfers isn't even a budget in today's market, but again, no surprise at all. But tbh, £6/12/15/18m all probably wouldn't be enough to get the players we need. We need a goal-scorer, and we're not going to get one for less than £20m, and we need a goalie, say £8m+.

I'm not 100% sure we will go down even if we don't sign anyone. Not that I think we're any good, but I think there's 3 teams worse than us (assuming Rafa sticks til the end of the season). Swansea are fucked, West Brom look as uninterested in the window as we are, then we only need one other to fuck up more than us. People talk about Huddersfield doing better, but they're 1 point ahead with 10 worse GD. There's 7 or 8 teams that are pretty goddamn shit at present.