Football 17/18

TheGayTent

2 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Well it doesn't seem like the best way to do business to me, whatever is going on with them all.

if the Staveley version is true then it's pretty clear that Ashley has no intention of doing business at that price, so doing a nasty doesn't kill the deal because there is no deal.

It strikes me that he's mad because he wanted out before the window shut, and now there's no chance of that happening.

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

if the Staveley version is true then it's pretty clear that Ashley has no intention of doing business at that price, so doing a nasty doesn't kill the deal because there is no deal.

It strikes me that he's mad because he wanted out before the window shut, and now there's no chance of that happening.

Yep, going away on a 3 week holiday can't have helped things, although I guess he has people sorting it on his behalf.

He's so infuriating! Apparently the club only has 6m available for transfers, where has the money gone?

Edited by WS_Jack_III

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

presumably he's working the same "rob the club" scam as Hall and Oates Shepard were ... of billing the club for 'work' that wasn't done.

not to mention the 20-40m of free advertisement he has had. 

I'm just sat waiting to hear Rafa has walked now so I can have a full melt down.

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Walcott to Everton done. He never really got better than his 20 year old self did he?

he never really got the chance tho, due to combination of Wenger rarely giving him a run of games, and injuries when he was flying if he did get a run of games.

Remember that game against Spurs (was it a  cup game? I forget) when he did his knee and was stretchered off with a big smile on his face? He was getting a run of games then, and was playing really well and looking like he was getting better over that run.

He's a bit of an odd buy for Everton tho, and particularly with Sam in charge; he's not really the sort of player for either. 

I'm hoping he'll get a run of games and show himself. I don't think it's impossible of him getting an England place in the summer.

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm hoping he'll get a run of games and show himself. I don't think it's impossible of him getting an England place in the summer.

A big reason for the move surely? 5 or 6 good months and he has a great chance. 

Always liked him but he just seems a bit too nice at times. 

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Who's out there? As ourselves, yourselves, Stoke and Swansea have found out it's a very shallow talent pool right now. Especially when you're fishing in the risk-adverse "PL experience" pool.

For sure, but I'm just wondering (from a position of little knowledge) if Benitez isn't doing such a great job anyway, whether an experienced coach with a good record is required? Couldn't A N Other do just as good a job? 

What have they got, something like 9 points from the last 13 games? 

2 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

For sure, but I'm just wondering (from a position of little knowledge) if Benitez isn't doing such a great job anyway, whether an experienced coach with a good record is required? Couldn't A N Other do just as good a job? 

We're 5 points up on where McClaren had us with a much less talented squad.

17 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Hard to say, they've got what is essentially a Championship standard squad. Is it Benitez who has kept their heads above water or is it the incompetence of others?

2 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

He's doing an excellent job with what he has been given. 

Mark Hughes is bookies favourite to take over should Rafa leaves, so...

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

That is a huge allegation and connection to make. Is there any suggestion that anything inappropriate happened between Bennell and Speed? If not then they really should not be making that link.

It's been a link that's been discussed since Speed's death. Assuming Bennell doesn't admit to anything, we'll never know. 

Besides, even if he did admit it, we'll never know whether it was this that caused Speed to take his own life. 

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

That is a huge allegation and connection to make. Is there any suggestion that anything inappropriate happened between Bennell and Speed? If not then they really should not be making that link.

It is mad, isn't it?!

4 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

It's been a link that's been discussed since Speed's death. Assuming Bennell doesn't admit to anything, we'll never know. 

Besides, even if he did admit it, we'll never know whether it was this that caused Speed to take his own life. 

True.