Football 17/18

TheGayTent

58 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

By " doing stuff like that " do you mean pressing the ball high up the park ?

Of course it doesn`t work 100% of the time as you say but Klopp will keep going with this " style " of defence.

In this specific case, I didn`t think it was a foul and neither did the linesman who was looking right at it. City shouldn`t

have had the opportunity to be sharper and it could have led to a goal for Liverpool rather than City having an easier path to goal ( as you suggest ) via a non-existent foul ( in my opinion ).

This type of play also gets the crowd up and unsettles defenders. Long may it continue :)

If you watch the clip you`ll hear the fans reaction.

It leaves you exposed to a counter if it's over done. It is key you keep your shape when pressing or it can go tits up. Also worth mentioning that most the time nothing will come from a single player pressing (I know others joined eventually). When this happens it is just wasted energy and a potential defensive risk. You would see Sanchez do this a lot for Arsenal, especially early in his Arsenal career.

The press is best when the whole team presses and keeps their shape. When pressing high up the pitch, it is ideal the striker is pressing onto the defenders. Tbf to Robertson he may have received a call to press as someone was covering him at left back but I do think it is important not to over praise it. As sometimes what we see as 'press' is really just mindless running. I have noticed some pundits praising this kind mindless running without actually thinking of whether it benefits the team on the whole.

Despite all this, it clearly worked for Liverpool this time (if the foul wasn't given) but it is important to be cautious thinking this is the only way to go all the time. As single players pressing, especially defenders, will cause more problems than benefits. 

17 hours ago, The Nal said:

Its not. Its pathetic. He turned down a job that could've made him a hero, a big last job, in favour of nipping a few quid from a club worth 3 billion. Drop in the ocean. Small man behaviour.

He sounds like he regrets his decision from what I read, but I still find it funny that he would do something like that as simply a "fuck you" to Utd :lol: Thats some proper hatred for a club. He was obviously ragging with the anger from how he was mistreated to do such. Its stubborn. Its silly. Its regrettable by the sounds of it. But it is funny. And I personally  would not go as far as having a go a him and saying its pathetic and he is a small man. He was obviously still acting out of anger for how Utd treated him. I feel for the guy in a way, but im sure LvG doesnt need my sympathy, or Utds money for that matter. He will be alright. 

3 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Re pressing. It's horses for courses, and whether to or not should somewhat be dictated by how the opposition like to play. 

There should be some element of pressing in pretty much every modern tactic. It is more about deciding how high up the pitch to press.

I agree that opposition tactics should be a factor in deciding this.

36 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Re pressing. It's horses for courses, and whether to or not should somewhat be dictated by how the opposition like to play. 

which is precisely why it's a bit dangerously nuts for a left back to go walkabout to the goalie against a side like City.

The surprise to me was City not taking advantage of the easy attack it offered them.

Walcott doesn't make any sense to me, I'd much rather we started Lookman. He's another player like sigurdsson with no sell on value .

12 months since we beat Man City 4 vs 0. One player from that starting 11 started against spurs, the team now looks worse, older, slow and with a significantly higher net spend.

Edited by lost

4 minutes ago, lost said:

Walcott doesn't make any sense to me, I'd much rather we started Lookman. He's another player like sigurdsson will no sell on value .

12 months since we beat Man City 4 vs 0. One player from that starting 11 started against spurs, the team now looks worse, older, slow and with a significantly higher net spend.

Lookman makes a big impact every time I've watched seen him. In a team crying out for a bit of dynamism it's crazy how little he's played. Especially when he's performed in big games like the derby, u20s world cup and the city game last season.

23 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Lookman is quality and should definitely get more game time. 

I guess he'll leave. Spurs were sniffing around apparently.

So I wonder who will be dropped for Walcott? Bolasie,  Sigurdsson or Rooney. I don't think it will be Rooney unless he moves Sigurdsson from the left where he's been terrible into Rooneys role. 

Bolasie and Walcott are both right footed wingers, we also have a right back at left back so no left footers down the left side which really showed against Spurs for the first goal.

Its really difficult to see what the manager/ director of football is trying to achieve and we just seem to be piling expensive mistake on top of expensive mistake?!

Edited by lost

25 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Still can't get my head around Carroll being bought as a replacement for Torres.

... and for a second time, too (tho with a few years gap). :P

I'm hoping he makes the move, cos when there's a top side around him i wanna see if he's able to monster the opposition in a drogba/costa style.

I'm guessing that's the thinking at Chelsea ... I'm also guessing that the thinking is wildly wrong, but we only get to know if he gets the chance.

14 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm guessing that's the thinking at Chelsea ... I'm also guessing that the thinking is wildly wrong, but we only get to know if he gets the chance.

I'm guessing that your guess is probably correct - the thinking is indeed, wildly wrong. That said, we do perhaps lack a physical presence in attack since Costa left. 

25 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

... and for a second time, too (tho with a few years gap). :P

I'm hoping he makes the move, cos when there's a top side around him i wanna see if he's able to monster the opposition in a drogba/costa style.

A fit and focused Carroll would be an absolute monster. I have to admit that I often fall into the trap of calling for his inclusion in the England squad "as an option" whenever he scores a few goals.

Those on here who support the teams he has played for are bound to know more than me, but there's always been that suspicion that it's his lifestyle and love of a party that hampers him more than anything. And his glass body.

Edited by Hugh Jass