Football 17/18

TheGayTent

6 minutes ago, jyoung said:

England playing Costa Rica at Elland Road in June. Work that one out.

I didn't think England were allowed to play matches away from Wembley, as the revenues are needed to pay for the stadium...?

Tho I supposed they've had extra this year from Spurs, and i know Spurs had to get round a "x events a year only" thing - so perhaps this is part of a trade-off with the locals.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Tho I supposed they've had extra this year from Spurs, and i know Spurs had to get round a "x events a year only" thing - so perhaps this is part of a trade-off with the locals.

Dunno but Chelsea will be there for a few seasons in a couple of years as well so.

11 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Talk of investigations into Holgates tweets as a 15 year and a subsequent ban are utterly farcical, and especially so when there is no talk of banning him for pushing a footballer over a hoarding... 

Luckily social media didn't exist when I was 15. If it did you would probably find comments from me that today would be considered racist, sexist and homophobic. We have to accept that young people make mistakes and move on.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Luckily social media didn't exist when I was 15. If it did you would probably find comments from me that today would be considered racist, sexist and homophobic. We have to accept that young people make mistakes and move on.

What kind of racist stuff would you have posted?

32 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

What kind of racist stuff would you have posted?

I remember the Japanese boy in the class was regularly called slinty eyes, a white guy with darker skin was called a paki and this was name calling among friends. 

This was 25 years ago and I'm sure society has changed to some degree. However I'm also sure teenage boys still say idiotic things and most grow up and stop.

This VAR needs big refinements in terms of how it is presented on pitch, to fans/viewers. When compared to how well communicated similar reviews in the NFL are, its shocking the FA or whoever is in charge of its implementation haven't even thought about it. Just get the ref holding his ear and giving a thumbs up. 

Edited by mjsell

11 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Costa Rica need experience playing in Europe. We need a pre-World Cup friendly.

What’s the problem?

Not the opposition or friendly itself or anything like that.

Just confused as to how Elland Road became the choice of venue?!

18 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Maybe the fact it's big city with a big stadium which will be cheaper than other stadiums. Plus the lack if premier league in Leeds probably makes an England game more of a big game which will be good for ticket sales.

32 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Without checking I'd guess Wembley is unavailable due to a gig or something.

I used to love that England played at different grounds whilst Wembley was being rebuilt. Gave fans outside of London a chance to see their team, they turned up at some random places too - Pride Park, Stadium of Light, think they may even have played at Portman Road at one point.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Without checking I'd guess Wembley is unavailable due to a gig or something.

I used to love that England played at different grounds whilst Wembley was being rebuilt. Gave fans outside of London a chance to see their team, they turned up at some random places too - Pride Park, Stadium of Light, think they may even have played at Portman Road at one point.

And the Boleyn :fuckyou:

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

He did not, sadly SuperBob never got to represent his country. I blame the managers... and Shearer, Ferdinand, Fowler, Wright, Collymore, Le Tissier, Owen and many others for all being better than him.

:lol: Very good 

I remember an FA Cup match played in thick fog at the hawthorns back in the early 90s that if memory serves Bob Taylor played in. Couldn't see the other end for half the first half but thought he looked bloody good. 

Was brass monkeys, the only good thing was that it stopped snowing before the game started - just as well as we were crammed into an open terrace. 

22 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

:lol: Very good 

I remember an FA Cup match played in thick fog at the hawthorns back in the early 90s that if memory serves Bob Taylor played in. Couldn't see the other end for half the first half but thought he looked bloody good. 

Was brass monkeys, the only good thing was that it stopped snowing before the game started - just as well as we were crammed into an open terrace. 

Strangely I was talking to my Dad about that game only the other day, I was only twelve at the time but remember being stood in the Brummie Road terrace at the opposite end of the ground to the away fans and not being able to see past the half way line due to the fog. How that match went ahead I have no idea.

SuperBob did play, and missed a great chance at 0-0. He was much loved at Albion, scored a shedload of goals for us in the 90's. Not sure he quite had the chops to make it at a higher level though.

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Strangely I was talking to my Dad about that game only the other day, I was only twelve at the time but remember being stood in the Brummie Road terrace at the opposite end of the ground to the away fans and not being able to see past the half way line due to the fog. How that match went ahead I have no idea.

SuperBob did play, and missed a great chance at 0-0. He was much loved at Albion, scored a shedload of goals for us in the 90's. Not sure he quite had the chops to make it at a higher level though.

Wow that's a cracking find thanks! I don't think I've seen those goals since the day it happened. I remember Robson's goal being lucky as an intended cross but had completely forgotten what a good strike the first was. 

You're right, would probably never have kicked off these days.

I reckon Taylor might have been ok in the top flight, in the kind of way Morley was with us in the early 90s (13 goals I think in 94), and the way Glenn Murray is doing now. 

11 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Wow that's a cracking find thanks! I don't think I've seen those goals since the day it happened. I remember Robson's goal being lucky as an intended cross but had completely forgotten what a good strike the first was. 

You're right, would probably never have kicked off these days.

I reckon Taylor might have been ok in the top flight, in the kind of way Morley was with us in the early 90s (13 goals I think in 94), and the way Glenn Murray is doing now. 

He had a year or two in the PL with Bolton and scored a few goals (including a winner at Old Trafford IIRC) but I think he was north of 30 by that point and not the player he was with us. He probably would have been alright, but would never have troubled the big clubs or England.

Then he came home after Bolton aged 35 and scored a few goals to get us promoted. An Albion legend.

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

He had a year or two in the PL with Bolton and scored a few goals (including a winner at Old Trafford IIRC) but I think he was north of 30 by that point and not the player he was with us. He probably would have been alright, but would never have troubled the big clubs or England.

Then he came home after Bolton aged 35 and scored a few goals to get us promoted. An Albion legend.

An old fashioned and honest one from what I remember too - not a elbow throwing, diving, spitter...