Football 17/18

TheGayTent

6 minutes ago, lost said:

The Holgate thing is basically another Ched Evens. All the Sheff Utd fans were convinced he's innocent whilst supporters of other teams and those who think rape allegations are not taken seriously think he's guilty. Neither will change their position whilst the only two people that know what went on are the ones in that hotel room.

Only one you mean, since the woman was too drunk to know what happened

And its not really comparable. Its more like the John terry/anton ferdinand thing. We will see what the investigation says anyway

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

Are those mics that the refs use to communicate with the 4th official recorded? Also wondering if they would pick up anything other than what the ref says.

i think they're specially designed to pick up sound sources very close to them (so the ref's gob), and to lose everything less-direct.

16 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

so c'mon genius, what should they have done about Phil when he wanted out so strongly?

As i say, they could have held him to his contract, but that would affect their ability to attract similar great players in the future.

And at the moment Phil goes out, in comes a player who's done all the same things - and more - to get his upgrade transfer, absolutely no differently. 

It's how football is, it's not how Liverpool are.

He's only recently signed a 5 year contract so this desperate need to leave is recent isn't it?I don't give a flying fck about millionaire footballers and don't expect any loyalty back.The thing that'll attract footballers is the wages as it does now.What were you expecting?

What are Liverpool like?In what way are they any different from anyone else cos I don't know?

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I can't really see how a racism charge against Firmino can stand up, given there were so many close witnesses.

The nearest one being the ref.

But besides him Kenny, Lallanna, Robertson and Millner were near by and Firmino was shouting........Holgate is seemingly the only one to have  any reaction to the "slur". One would think the faces and reactions of some of the others would indicate that a line was crossed in what was "said"........

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

which isn't the case with holbeck, unless witnesses count for nothing...?

If holbeck is the only one who heard it, then I can't really see how a racism charge against Firmino can stand up, given there were so many close witnesses.

As far as I remember no one else was reported as hearing Suarez to Evra even though Kuyt was in ear shot for example. Wasn't that purely done on the lip reading? As I mentioned we don't have the full incident on camera which is why I think it will be dropped as being inconclusive but I also don't think the FA will act on Holgate due to the outcry that it will put others off reporting racist abuse.

Edited by lost

6 minutes ago, lost said:

As far as I remember no one else was reported as hearing Suarez to Evra even though Kuyt was in ear shot for example. Wasn't that purely done on the lip reading? As I mentioned we don't have the full incident on camera which is why I think it will be dropped as being inconclusive but I also don't think the FA will act on Holgate due to the outcry that it will put others off reporting racist abuse.

The same Evra that attacked his own fans in Marseilles? Big north African support there or he could have claimed vicious racism.

35 minutes ago, Lad said:

I tended to remember the H&G days with going on protest marches about them.That and being a season ticket holder then and now.Its you that doesn't understand the situation and its got nothing to do with spending money like City.Nobody expects that.They bought an underpriced asset and are happy to fund everything through things that they've done nothing to create.They don't need to win anything before they sell their asset and make a great profit.Why you imagine they give a shit about the club (franchise)only you knows.

Like I said I'm no huge fan of FSG, but Liverpool feel like they're going the right direction in footballing terms. It's a massive blow to lose Coutinho but we've got a manager who says he's being backed and has a great record bringing in players so far. I know they don't actually give a shit about LFC but they've shown signs of being ambitious by backing the manager.

My biggest issue with them is the rise in ticket prices but that's not just a Liverpool issue.

10 minutes ago, Lad said:

He's only recently signed a 5 year contract so this desperate need to leave is recent isn't it?I don't give a flying fck about millionaire footballers and don't expect any loyalty back.The thing that'll attract footballers is the wages as it does now.What were you expecting?

What are Liverpool like?In what way are they any different from anyone else cos I don't know?

They're not different from anyone else. That's what I'm saying. 

But at the same time, they can't match the appeal of a very small number of clubs to most top players. That's just how it is.

And for Phil I don't think it was particularly about the money. South Americans (and most others) tend to see Spain as the pinnacle, and Barca can offer the trophies that Liverpool aren't particularly likely to give him; Liverpool can't even reliably give him champions league footie.

Edited by eFestivals

1 minute ago, Lad said:

The same Evra that attacked his own fans in Marseilles? Big north African support there or he could have claimed vicious racism.

Well I didn't want to get back into the argument if Evra made it up. It was more a point the the FA were happy to accept due to the conditions of a football stadium with people screaming and such that a player or even ref can be in close vicinity to an incident and not hear anything.

4 minutes ago, lost said:

Well I didn't want to get back into the argument if Evra made it up. It was more a point the the FA were happy to accept due to the conditions of a football stadium with people screaming and such that a player or even ref can be in close vicinity to an incident and not hear anything.

I think it'd be hard to make that stick for the ref in the firmino case :lol:

If anything went on, I reckon the ref should have heard it.

In more distant instances and/or where the ref wasn't already strongly involved I'd be happy to accept the ref might not hear something, but I reckon he couldn't have missed it here.

Edited by eFestivals

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I think it'd be hard to make that stick for the ref in the firmino case :lol:

If anything went on, I reckon the ref should have heard it.

In more distant instances and/or where the ref wasn't already strongly involved I'd be happy to accept the ref might not hear something, but I reckon he couldn't have missed it here.

This ref did nothing when a player was shoved with both hands into the crowd. Ive watched hundreds of games - this doesnt happen unless it is intentional. As a result he could EASILY have heard something from an incensed Firmino but will chose to say nothing. He's a proven bottler. Terrible ref.

Edited by Wooderson

2 hours ago, Lad said:

Wasn’t the racism proven in that case?

i can’t see firminho being charged with an offence, seems to be ifs and maybe in this case.  The FA certainly haven’t come out with anything of note one way or another. 

19 minutes ago, Lad said:

So is this you saying it's a complete guess?

What's a complete guess? That Barca showed interest in him and he then wanted to leave? Don't think one needs to be a genius to work that out. Or is there something I'm missing that maybe only a stable genius may figure out? 

Edited by ThomThomDrum

3 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

What's a complete guess? That Barca showed interest in him and he then wanted to leave? Don't think one needs to be a genius to work that out. Or is there some I'm missing that maybe only a stable genius may figure out? 

Even though you're an agent I'm not convinced that you know the ins and outs of this transfer.My guess would be FSG were more than happy to push this through.Another guess would be Klopp is complicit in the move maybe thinking he could get him back on loan.The hedge fund is looking to boost dividends and not the trophy count. £150m or fourth place hhmmm?

4 minutes ago, Lad said:

Even though you're an agent I'm not convinced that you know the ins and outs of this transfer.My guess would be FSG were more than happy to push this through.Another guess would be Klopp is complicit in the move maybe thinking he could get him back on loan.The hedge fund is looking to boost dividends and not the trophy count. £150m or fourth place hhmmm?

He put in a transfer request in the summer. He wanted to leave. He didn't want to be at the club anymore. It's pretty simple. 

The rest is just interested parties trying to make that reality work for them as best as possible.....

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lad said:

They turned town 3 massive bids already in the summer, despite the transfer request and the manager giving Coutinho his blessing to leave. Hardly pushing it through.

7 minutes ago, Dan R said:

They turned town 3 massive bids already in the summer, despite the transfer request and the manager giving Coutinho his blessing to leave. Hardly pushing it through.

Things changed quickly after Vvd came though didn't it?You seem to give them the benefit of doubt every time.Suppose its fair to say I don't.

17 minutes ago, Lad said:

Things changed quickly after Vvd came though didn't it?You seem to give them the benefit of doubt every time.Suppose its fair to say I don't.

Yeah tbf I do give them the benefit of the doubt but that's cos I'm happy with the football at the moment and can see progress is being made. We're well placed to be fighting for 2nd, 2nd highest scoring in the league, new world record CB to improve defense, round of 16 in the champs league, and have a generally really exciting squad of players.