Football 17/18

TheGayTent

26 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Most dives are done by exaggerating the contact. Retrospective action only for dives that have no contact would have little effect on the player's mentalities in my opinion.

Most important thing is that they are consistent with whatever bans they do impose though. 

And equally most penalties which are won are done by exaggerating the contact. At the time I would of called it a soft penalty but I've seen at least 4 examples since then which I would say were softer which have gone unpunished.

I mentioned this at the time but if every example of exaggerating contact goes punished (and most players still exaggerate very clear contact) We'd have 3 or 4 players banned each week.

Edited by lost

1 hour ago, lost said:

I mentioned this at the time but if every example of exaggerating contact goes punished (and most players still exaggerate very clear contact) We'd have 3 or 4 players banned each week.

Surely that just emphasizes the epidemic that is diving in football. If regular bans need to happen to stop it then so be it. It won't be long until the amount of diving in football is reduced.

12 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Surely that just emphasizes the epidemic that is diving in football. If regular bans need to happen to stop it then so be it. It won't be long until the amount of diving in football is reduced.

In agree. I think football has moved too much in favour of the attacking players already. If a few players who didn't dive end up banned, it would be a price worth paying in my view.

39 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Yep but equally there are lots of examples where players are fouled and try to stay on their feet and you don't see these given as penalties. Also as I mentioned at the time if we are the only FA doing it and train our players out of seeking this advantage then we are at a disadvantage when competing in European and national level. 

Edited by lost

4 minutes ago, lost said:

Yep but equally there are lots of examples where players are fouled and try to stay on their feet and you don't see these given as penalties. 

Agreed this is an issue and referees should be giving these more often. 

6 minutes ago, lost said:

Also as I mentioned at the time if we are the only FA doing it and train our players out of seeking this advantage then we are at a disadvantage when competing in European and national level. 

If everyone had this mentality nothing would ever change. Hopefully other countries follow suit in the near future. If they don't, I would be happy being at a disadvantage if it meant not cheating.

28 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

If everyone had this mentality nothing would ever change. Hopefully other countries follow suit in the near future. If they don't, I would be happy being at a disadvantage if it meant not cheating.

I don't think the clubs would agree with that if for instance the losses stacked up and the 4th champions league place became under threat. In reality though it will never get that far. As already mentioned, they will occasionally pull up players from mid and lower team clubs with no consistency between the charges.

Edited by lost

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

The title is game-over, but the rest at the top is getting interesting.

Isnt that exactly what he is saying when he says 

Pity Citee are running away with the title would've been a good year otherwise, 8 points separating 2nd and 6th

Edited by ThomThomDrum

Looks like Emre Can is as good as gone, although that's been known a while. 

Some of the reports are rubbish though, it was never about wages. It is because he wanted a low release clause, and the reason he wasn't given it was repercussions for future contact negotiations with other players. Say Can wanted a clause of 30m (arguably below market value) then there would be nothing to stop the next player, i.e. Firmino, Mane etc. saying they wanted the same and thus leaving the club open for picking. 

Just now, vintagelaureate said:

Looks like Emre Can is as good as gone, although that's been known a while. 

Some of the reports are rubbish though, it was never about wages. It is because he wanted a low release clause, and the reason he wasn't given it was repercussions for future contact negotiations with other players. Say Can wanted a clause of 30m (arguably below market value) then there would be nothing to stop the next player, i.e. Firmino, Mane etc. saying they wanted the same and thus leaving the club open for picking. 

Emre wants to move to a league where he can take 20 touches. He'll be brilliant there.

Edited by Wooderson

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

Ross Barkley to Chelsea for 15 million. Must be hard to take for the Evertonians.

Especially as it was 30 odd in the summer. Most of my mates are Evertonians and thought he would hold out for a free.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

where he'll never be seen again (beyond a few try-outs), I reckon.

Wouldn't say he was a worse player than Drinkwater, whose playing a fair bit. Maybe less disciplined.