Football 17/18

TheGayTent

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Hmmm. How much of that is Pep, and how much of it was coming anyway?

He always looked like he was likely to be one of the best (English players of this era), after all.

He's standing out a lot now, but that's got more to do with how he was misused previously rather than any great spot by Pep to use him better.

(having said all of that, and how city are flying, I'm not saying Pep has had zero effect)

I still feel like Stirling is profiting from the form of the team and is not the catalyst for the teams form. Yes, he's scoring goals and having impacts on games but I'd love to know how many of his goals are tap ins from 5 yards (of which he also has a knack for missing more than he should).

I do rate him though, and he has come up with some big goals at times this year, but he's still to convince me that he can dominant games by himself 

3 minutes ago, mjsell said:

I still feel like Stirling is profiting from the form of the team and is not the catalyst for the teams form. Yes, he's scoring goals and having impacts on games but I'd love to know how many of his goals are tap ins from 5 yards (of which he also has a knack for missing more than he should).

I do rate him though, and he has come up with some big goals at times this year, but he's still to convince me that he can dominant games by himself 

I think you're right but he's still a really young lad, just turned 23 a few weeks ago! He's scored a fair few tap in but he's scored some decent efforts as well. His pace and movement is a big part of his game so he's often the first person to get that position for the tap-in.

1 hour ago, Comfy Bean said:

If I inferred at the same time then my mistake. If we skip a generation and in the meantime they win nothing and Man City and say Chelsea dominate everything Home and abroad then do you think Liverpool and Man U still have the same appeal ?

Yes, Liverpool have won virtually nothing for 10 years and still have high appeal.

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

He's standing out a lot now, but that's got more to do with how he was misused previously rather than any great spot by Pep to use him better.

Obviously this is just one example and you are right, previously his potential was not being fulfilled and you could argue he had been mismanaged. However this goes to show what I'm talking about.

And if you want to read a bit more about it http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/incredible-training-footage-proves-pep-11566905

20 minutes ago, thetime said:

Yes, Liverpool have won virtually nothing for 10 years and still have high appeal.

Fair enough. I agree they have. I’ll put a note in my diary and get back to you in 10 years :-)

I remember when me and my pals were cheering on Notts Forest. No Nottingham family connections that I’m aware of.

10 hours ago, mjsell said:

I still feel like Stirling is profiting from the form of the team and is not the catalyst for the teams form.

yeah, I agree with that to a degree - tho perhaps there's an element of it being harder to spot &/or to have the opportunity to happen in a team where everyone is contributing?

I've not watched him much at city, but he was a definite catalyst at Liverpool, even if some of his play was at times a bit flakey.

11 hours ago, mjsell said:

Does he have to dominate when he scores important goals ? (4 of which were ones in the last minute to win City seperate games?) He was won City 8 more points than they would normally have!

He is the Premier League’s second top scorer. The highest-scoring player aged 23 or under across Europe’s top leagues.

Feels unfair to ask about 'tap ins' with that record...

Edited by zahidf

22 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Whether you rate Sterling or otherwise, this kind of 'fact' is bullshit of the most pungent kind. Please refrain. 

I think in this case it's referring more to very last minute goals which got the win. I can think.of at least 4 times that's happened. He's scoring when the pressure is definitely on.

Scoring last minute winners is something that should be rated higher IMO compared to simply scoring a goal. There is a lot more chance of a choke when there is even more pressure to get the goal with time ticking on. Fair balls to any player that can do that and if you can do it a bunch of occasions even better. God knows the likes of Liverpool could benefit from having someone who can get the ball in the net in tight games in the last minutes of a game (as could a lot of clubs I suppose)

34 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Scoring last minute winners is something that should be rated higher IMO compared to simply scoring a goal. There is a lot more chance of a choke when there is even more pressure to get the goal with time ticking on. Fair balls to any player that can do that and if you can do it a bunch of occasions even better. God knows the likes of Liverpool could benefit from having someone who can get the ball in the net in tight games in the last minutes of a game (as could a lot of clubs I suppose)

I agree. I have always thought the golden boot was a flawed way of judging a forward as it treats every goal the same. However last minute goals (particularly tap ins) require the setup, he probably wouldn't get that outside city.

1 hour ago, Dan R said:

I think in this case it's referring more to very last minute goals which got the win. I can think.of at least 4 times that's happened. He's scoring when the pressure is definitely on.

yeah thats what i meant 

to the other points on the thread, Ok, he gets good service, but its not THAT easy to score like that (esp when those 4 times he has was playing the 90 mins)

He doesnt score them as an impact sub!

He's obviously having a good season, don't think anyone is arguing that he isn't. But can you name anyone in that City side that would be considered to be having a poor one? 

2 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Whether you rate Sterling or otherwise, this kind of 'fact' is bullshit of the most pungent kind. Please refrain. 

Couldn't agree more. 

2 hours ago, ThomThomDrum said:

it's great for Bristol City, but it's hardly a giant-killing really. They're flying in the Champs.

Rather annoyingly, I watched the first half and then the stream died and i couldn't be bothered to find another - cos to be fair, it looked like City were going to get twonked.

27 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it's great for Bristol City, but it's hardly a giant-killing really. They're flying in the Champs.

Yep they're a good team. Utd were plopsies mind you but Bristol Citys pressing and stifling was superb. They'll have no issues staying in the Premier League if they get promoted. I hope they do. Great crowd aswell.