Football 17/18

TheGayTent

6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

just a guess, but did those selections have anything to do with Irish players at those teams at the time?

(it could certainly apply to City)

Would very much doubt it. In that era we had very few Irish players. Unless you count Chris Hughton who was born in East London but surprise surprise found a great aunt with a pet hamster who's cousin once holidayed in Dingle

5 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Think you’ve also got to factor in the glory hunting element.

If Pep stays a while and City win League and Champs League titles over the next few years then all the kids will be wearing their tops.

Can’t say I have seen a vast increase of Chelsea shirts in the last 15 years. Even when Utd were shit in the 80s they still had the appeal.

United and Liverpool will always have that appeal more so than your city’s and Chelsea’s of the world.

6 hours ago, thetime said:

Can’t say I have seen a vast increase of Chelsea shirts in the last 15 years. Even when Utd were shit in the 80s they still had the appeal.

United and Liverpool will always have that appeal more so than your city’s and Chelsea’s of the world.

The only two clubs that matter.

32 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Pep has pushed Sterling to another level tbf. His game is a lot more consistent than it ever has been.

Hmmm. How much of that is Pep, and how much of it was coming anyway?

He always looked like he was likely to be one of the best (English players of this era), after all.

He's standing out a lot now, but that's got more to do with how he was misused previously rather than any great spot by Pep to use him better.

(having said all of that, and how city are flying, I'm not saying Pep has had zero effect)

12 hours ago, thetime said:

I think it depends on what age you are or what was happening when you first got into footy.

I`m not talking massive numbers but 15 years ago I would have seen zero kids wearing Chelsea tops now there are always a few.

Liverpool and United were winning everything back in the day and I think they have still have that appeal.

If....neither win a thing for a decade and Man City sweep loads of league and european trophies with all the tv exposure etc that brings then I reckon the yoof of today grow up with City as their English club. I`m not saying there is anything wrong with that, I think it`s just the way it is.

Loads of kids in Barca or Real strips these days including my own. Not so many Spanish strips about for the less successful teams ?

Just remembered about a banner that the Celtic fans unveiled at a recent old firm game " your grandchildren will be Celtic fans ". There have always been more buses leave my town for Celtic and Rangers than go to my home ground where we go every week *. Think this is where I was getting my glory hunter thoughts.

* some of them have non footy related reasons.

2 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

I think it depends on what age you are or what was happening when you first got into footy.

I`m not talking massive numbers but 15 years ago I would have seen zero kids wearing Chelsea tops now there are always a few.

Liverpool and United were winning everything back in the day and I think they have still have that appeal.

If....neither win a thing for a decade and Man City sweep loads of league and european trophies with all the tv exposure etc that brings then I reckon the yoof of today grow up with City as their English club. I`m not saying there is anything wrong with that, I think it`s just the way it is.

I disagree, I think there are a lot of family connection pulling people to Liverpool and man utd.

36 minutes ago, thetime said:

Can’t think of any era in modern day football when Liverpool and Utd were winning everything at the same time. 

If I inferred at the same time then my mistake. If we skip a generation and in the meantime they win nothing and Man City and say Chelsea dominate everything Home and abroad then do you think Liverpool and Man U still have the same appeal ?