Football 17/18

TheGayTent

3 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I agree, it's much more about reading the game and positioning and anticipation, but I don't think it's changed dramatically in the last 3-5 years, when there was, IMO, a much higher standard of doing so.

None of the premiership defenders would be in my discussion for the best of the last 30  (my time as a football fan) years. I think peak kompany would be part of the discussion, but not the last couple of years version.

6 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I agree, it's much more about reading the game and positioning and anticipation, but I don't think it's changed dramatically in the last 3-5 years, when there was, IMO, a much higher standard of doing so.

Defending should always be about reading the game and anticipation. Players like Maldini and Baresi are considered amongst the best ever because they rarely had to make a tackle.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

You could argue that records like that being set proves it...

it can make an argument for weak defences, but record scoring and record winning against that would still indicate that at the front end of teams things are better than average - which sums up as teams being average, and not the crap that woody said.

But when also you throw in Chumps results, it hard to stay with the idea of average and not better than average ... tho again, that might be cos Europe is weaker too; which still leaves english footie around average.

To me, the facts in all directions are MUCH more suggestive of average or better-than-average than they are of poorer-than-average.

20 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it can make an argument for weak defences, but record scoring and record winning against that would still indicate that at the front end of teams things are better than average

It could just mean in an attacking sense, teams are no better and no worse than before. But defences are shit. 

Your subjective conclusion isn't the only conclusion. 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I agree. Anyone can go with anything they like.

Yes.

But all of the facts put together are very suggestive of english footie being at-least no worse than ever, unless the levels of football all round the world have crashed.

:lol:

Edited by TheGayTent

34 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

This is my point also.

But not when you measure against Chumps teams.

Those chumps teams might have fallen as well of course, but they'd have had to fallen a hell of a long way to have fallen below english footie while english footie was also at it's worst ever.

They'd have to be lots of different things all align for that to have happened. It could have happened.

But much more likely is the far simpler one thing of English footie not being the worst ever. 

A financially doped to the gills Man City side run away with it. The rest are either the same (Utd) or slightly worse (Chelsea/Spurs). More than half the league are bottom feeders. Im not interested in the Champions League. Past decade English sides have been bang average in that.

50 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

A financially doped to the gills Man City side run away with it. The rest are either the same (Utd) or slightly worse (Chelsea/Spurs). More than half the league are bottom feeders. Im not interested in the Champions League. Past decade English sides have been bang average in that.

So they've been better than bang average in this years CL so far? Considering the success in the groups. 

I'd also argue that United have improved upon last season.

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yeah, but today's Utd are more dull than LvG's Utd.

I know that because LvG told me. :P

Hes a bitter man at times. 

Time heals all wounds. LVGs football was appallingly bad. Jose averaging 2.5 goals a game in all comps. That would've been a good shots per game stat for Louis. 

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Well done to Burnley this season so far. Top 7 on a TINY wage bill. Hope they carry on like this

Yep amazing really. Think they'll drop off but still in with a good shout for the Europa places. 

City vs Spurs a biggie this weekend. Stoke vs West Ham too. Big games for Hughes coming up. 

56 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yep. And it shows what you can get if a club isn't too sack-happy, and builds and works to a plan.

(Also see Southampton till a few years ago)

tbf to southampton pottechino and koeman left. i dont think sotton wanted them to go

Considering how well Puel is doing at lecister, sacking him this year was a mistake