Football 17/18

TheGayTent

11 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

“The league’s in great shape. Best ever, lads.” Etc etc 

Nonsense.

Hmmm. There's currently a number of forwards who are tucking away goals at record rates.

That might mean that defenders are shitter than normal of course, but the closest any comparison to what you say really exists is that forwards are as good as ever but defenders are shit.

But it could also be the other way, that defenders are as good as ever and they're exceptional strikers.

Either way, and when including how the chumps has gone for English teams this season too, it's difficult to find any facts to suggest that there's anything particularly shit about the average league standards this year.

8 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

“The league’s in great shape. Best ever, lads.” Etc etc 

Nonsense.

How? All 5 PL teams finished top of their CL groups apart from Chelsea who missed out on GD. Out of 30 games played by PL clubs in the CL they lost only 3, scoring 80 goals between them. 

Theres a few of the best managers about in the league not including people like Silva, the best goalie in the world, couple of the best defenders and midfielders about, a few of the best strikers, a shitload of goals scored and arguably the best team in Europe right now.

Oh, and Rafas in the shit!

Theres always going to be a Big Sam type. 

8 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

The CL is rubbish 'n all. Standard abysmal. LFC beat two teams 7-0. Shit off!

And yet the CL picks up similar 'rubbish' from around Europe every year, and those are close-to-record wins for the CL. They might have been wreak teams, but a fair comparison also says Liverpool were > top 10% those nights.

From the opposite direction, it might be pointed out that Spurs did Real over two legs ... and when does any English team do that?

If england footie is shit, then world footie is the shittest in 50+ years ... and yet there's players playing right now with skills no one else displayed in those 50+ years.

Maybe footie has declined ... but if english club footie is top of the tree in europe-terms that very probably has english club footie no worse than it's ever been, cos the rest of europe would have fallen a looonnnnggg way to fall below england.

46 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I definitely reckon defending is worse than its been in a while.

Defending seems less simple than it was in the past. The emphasis seems less on tackling and more interceptions, and defenders are expected to be much better with the ball at their feet. 

That being said watching west Brom spend so long time wasting was such a life sapping experience.

2 hours ago, Dan R said:

Defending seems less simple than it was in the past. The emphasis seems less on tackling and more interceptions, and defenders are expected to be much better with the ball at their feet. 

That being said watching west Brom spend so long time wasting was such a life sapping experience.

I agree, it's much more about reading the game and positioning and anticipation, but I don't think it's changed dramatically in the last 3-5 years, when there was, IMO, a much higher standard of doing so.

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Maybe footie has declined ... but if english club footie is top of the tree in europe-terms that very probably has english club footie no worse than it's ever been, cos the rest of europe would have fallen a looonnnnggg way to fall below england.

I don`t agree that English footie is top of the tree in europe terms. Man City aside, I don`t expect the English teams will feature at the business end.

The EPL is my favourite league to watch and probably always has been but the quality is nowhere near as high as the hype merchants tells us ( I mean the likes of Sky not on here ). I`ve watched a fair few games on the box that have been dross.

I was going to say it`s the most interesting league to watch but the way Man City are going that could change. Theyre streets ahead. I think ( can`t find it now ) that they had 75% possession in the first half at the weekend. Everyone wants / needs a title race. Could soon be like up here where Celtic haven`t lost since BR came up.

3 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

I don`t agree that English footie is top of the tree in europe terms. Man City aside, I don`t expect the English teams will feature at the business end.

I was working that as a sort-of average - and while some might fall at the next hurdle, there's enough in the mix that some should go further. All are decent teams, and none scraped thru.

I don't think it's over-stating things to say that English teams (overall) look stronger in Europe than they have done for quite a while. It might be a one-season wonder, but right now they look good and more dominant than other leagues.