Football 17/18

TheGayTent

16 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Chelsea/Spudds/Arse/LFC all gone backwards. City have financially doped their way to a good defence and thus are now "the best team in Europe". Utd are about as interesting to watch as Bray Wanderers. Samuel coaching the Ev. The league is shite.

Their defence yesterday contained Delph, Otamendi, Kompany (replaced by Mangala) and Walker.

Only one of those players was signed by Pep. The obvious conclusion must be that he's improved them himself rather than any financial doping.

4 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Is it Basel that have a ridiculously good home record against English teams?

They beat us twice in the group stages in 2013.

Interesting fact: A certain Mo Salah scored in both those games versus Chelsea. He also scored for Liverpool versus Chelsea this season. In 19 games for Chelsea he only scored 2 goals and in 3 games against Chelsea he has scored 3.

Edited by jyoung

56 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Some cracking ties here, Real v PSG should be fun:

Juventus v Tottenham
Basel v Manchester City
Porto v Liverpool
Sevilla v Manchester United
Real Madrid v Paris St-Germain
Shakhtar Donetsk v Roma
Chelsea v Barcelona
Bayern Munich v Besiktas

They're my predictions - and I came close to putting Chelsea, too. 

If the above was the case then I guess Roma would be the team you would want in the 1/4s. With no country protection there could be some tasty all English/Spanish ties, too!

5 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

A 2 goal win is not a hiding and Dortmund have definitely not been a top team this season 

Agreed, Dortmund have just sacked their manager and replaced him with another just sacked manager on a short term deal.... and are Liverpool a top side? 

Edited by TheGayTent

24 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

A 2 goal win is not a hiding and Dortmund have definitely not been a top team this season 

Let's not split heirs over a figure of speech, they comprehensively outplayed all three of those teams recently. They have the capability, when playing well, to beat most teams as they have demonstrated. They're certainly capable of beating a side like Juventus in a one-off match, over two legs I wouldn't be so sure, especially against the very best in Europe.

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Let's not split heirs over a figure of speech, they comprehensively outplayed all three of those teams recently. They have the capability, when playing well, to beat most teams as they have demonstrated. They're certainly capable of beating a side like Juventus in a one-off match, over two legs I wouldn't be so sure, especially against the very best in Europe.

While I think thats true at home, I think away from home they have a lot to prove.  They have very little record of taking big scalps away from London. Of course you dont need to be a great team to win the champions league, so I wouldnt count them out doing well in the knockouts. I would however make Juve marginal favourites.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

While I think thats true at home, I think away from home they have a lot to prove.  They have very little record of taking big scalps away from London. Of course you dont need to be a great team to win the champions league, so I wouldnt count them out doing well in the knockouts. I would however make Juve marginal favourites.

Something along the lines of a 2-0 home win followed by a 3-0 away defeat wouldn't shock me when they play the big boys of Europe over two legs.

If they can nick a decent result (or at least an away goal) in Turin then they've got a decent chance.